ALMOND BUTTER v PEANUT BUTTER v NUTELLA

Options

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    Much of the flavor in peanuts and peanut butters comes from the peanut oil, which is removed and replaced with cheap, ****ty hydrogenated oils so that they can sell you cheap peanut butter and sell someone else expensive peanut oil. But, I like my peanut butter to taste like...peanuts.

This is completely false. They don't take peanut oil out of Jif and Skippy and replace it with partially hydrogenated oils. This is evidenced by the fact that there are undetectable levels of trans fats in these peanut butters.

They add small amounts of hydrogenated oil for the purposes of consistency and mixing.

I said removed, not "taken out." They are not the same. Large scale commercial plants processing standard peanut butter don't process it as you would if you made it yourself, and the natural oils are removed. The oil sold as oil generally comes from the nuts used to make the crunchy variety, where nuts are added in.

Eat whatever garbage oils you like. PHVOs are of no benefit other than emulsification and the trans fats (which are only considered small "per serving" which no one eats) are unhealthy. There's no reason, if you're too lazy to stir peanut butter, that you would have to use a PHVO instead of something like palm oil. Except of course, that PHVOs are cheap and you can have .5g trans fat per serving in the U.S. and plaster "Trans Fat Free" on the label.

Eat what you want. I'll take my peanut butter as actual peanut butter.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Much of the flavor in peanuts and peanut butters comes from the peanut oil, which is removed and replaced with cheap, ****ty hydrogenated oils so that they can sell you cheap peanut butter and sell someone else expensive peanut oil. But, I like my peanut butter to taste like...peanuts.

This is completely false. They don't take peanut oil out of Jif and Skippy and replace it with partially hydrogenated oils. This is evidenced by the fact that there are undetectable levels of trans fats in these peanut butters.

They add small amounts of hydrogenated oil for the purposes of consistency and mixing.

I said removed, not "taken out." They are not the same. Large scale commercial plants processing standard peanut butter don't process it as you would if you made it yourself, and the natural oils are removed. The oil sold as oil generally comes from the nuts used to make the crunchy variety, where nuts are added in.

Eat whatever garbage oils you like. PHVOs are of no benefit other than emulsification and the trans fats (which are only considered small "per serving" which no one eats) are unhealthy. There's no reason, if you're too lazy to stir peanut butter, that you would have to use a PHVO instead of something like palm oil. Except of course, that PHVOs are cheap and you can have .5g trans fat per serving in the U.S. and plaster "Trans Fat Free" on the label.

Do you have a citation for this claim? It sounds like nonsense and I can't find any corroborating information online.

Also, as noted, they don't even use PHVOs at all. At least Jif and Skippy don't, which are the only two I checked. They use fully hydrogenated oils.

Kinda sounds like you're just making things up.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the PB2. FYI...nutritional facts (Note: the ingredients)
    Ingredients:
    Roasted peanuts, sugar, salt.
    Serving size: 2 Tablespoons (12 grams)
    Servings per container: 15
    Calories: 45
    Calories from fat: 13

Value and % Daily Value*

Total fat 1.5 g 3%
    Saturated fat 0 g 0%
    Trans fat 0.01 g
    Cholesterol 0.01 mg 0%
    Sodium 94 mg 4%
    Total carbohydrate 5 g 2%
    Dietary fiber 2 g 8%
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 5 g
    Vitamin A 1%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 1%
    Iron 0%

THIS^^^^
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    There's something other than Nutella?
  • lessofme43
    lessofme43 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Nutella is candy.
    The other two are nut butters.

This
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options

Do you have a citation for this claim? It sounds like nonsense and I can't find any corroborating information online.

Also, as noted, they don't even use PHVOs at all. At least Jif and Skippy don't, which are the only two I checked. They use fully hydrogenated oils.

Kinda sounds like you're just making things up.

the highest measured from the full text of that paper are like 0.032 grams per servings for those who like to know the numbers for themselves...
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I like them all in different ways. My problem with Nutella is I can eat the whole jar by myself, so it doesn't often come into my house. I also don't like the serving size/calorie ratio. My favorite treat is Nutella on an english muffin or worse... a croissant. Talk about chubby girl heaven - butter pastry with chocolate hazelnut spread!

I like peanut and almond butter on fruit. My problem with almond butter is the version I've had was too grainy. I need to go to my local natural food store and get some, but it's FLIPPING pricey in all formats (natural store vs. normal grocery)...
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I'm a weirdo and don't really get the whole Nutella thing. I love both peanut and almond butter, but peanut butter wins out every time! I prefer Jif Natural with Honey.

I have to measure out my portions though and keep the jar out of reach, otherwise I just eat it one spoonful at a time until I'm sick. LOL
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Which one do I choose??
    Not really interested in PB2 because it seems like its highly processed... unless I have been misinformed

So you don't want highly processed but will eat Nutella??? Pb2 has pretty few ingredients IMO
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    CookieButter.jpg

ETA: spread this stuff on one saltine, spread nutella on another saltine, make a sandwich with them, eat, repeat, thank me via PM.

OMW!

I want this!
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    My trainer/nutritionist told me to avoid peanuts/ peanut butter and to do almond butter. He said peanuts have dangerously high amounts of omega 3 and although omega 3 is good for you extremly high amounts can be dangerous.

It's actually an imbalance of Omega 3 & Omega 6 that can be harmful. Peanuts do not contain Omega3s unless it is fortified. An ounce of raw peanuts contains 14 grams of total fat, 2 grams of saturated fat, 7 grams of monounsaturated fat, 4 grams of polyunsaturated fat, 4 grams of omega-6 fatty acids and no omega-3. A serving of 2 tablespoons of peanut butter contains 16 grams of total fat, 3 grams of saturated fat, 8 grams of monounsaturated fat, 5 grams of polyunsaturated fat, 5 grams of omega-6 fatty acids and no omega-3.

We need 1.5g/day of omega-3 (I take Anutra grains), as most Americans consume plenty of O-6 in our diets.

To answer the OP - I love Almond butter with Flaxseed, and cashew butter is deeeeeeelish!
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Almond Butter or Nutella, I love peanut butter. I love nuts like almonds and hazelnuts but am not a super huge fan of chocolate so I'm not sure that Nutella would be my bag. I think I will have to try Almond Butter based on your recommendations!
  • jo_from_MO
    jo_from_MO Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nutella tastes like the inside of the Ferrero Rocher candies. OMG. So good, and like others have said, it's total crack.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,643 Member
    Options
    this stuff wins the internet to get this thread back on track...

1381451217488_ChocolateCoconut.540w.jpg
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options

YES!
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Shea butter. whaaaaaa? Wrong thread.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients (nut butters typically have only 1-3 ingredients: nuts, oil salt) ...

Nutella?

*Sugar *Vegetable Oil *Hazelnuts(13%) *Fat Reduced Cocoa(7.4%) *Skimmed Milk Powder(6.6%) *Whey Powder *Emulsifier: Lecithins(soya) *Vannilin

(that means there's more sugar than ANYTHING ELSE, and then OIL ... THEN hazelnuts ... really? ICK! this isn't nut butter, it's sugar oil butter!)

if i'm eating sugar and cocoa, i'm going high quality, not some crap in a jar (speaking personally for my own taste) ...

save your sugar and carb fix for something worthy of it!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients (nut butters typically have only 1-3 ingredients: nuts, oil salt) ...

Nutella?

*Sugar *Vegetable Oil *Hazelnuts(13%) *Fat Reduced Cocoa(7.4%) *Skimmed Milk Powder(6.6%) *Whey Powder *Emulsifier: Lecithins(soya) *Vannilin

(that means there's more sugar than ANYTHING ELSE, and then OIL ... THEN hazelnuts ... really? ICK! this isn't nut butter, it's sugar oil butter!)

if i'm eating sugar and cocoa, i'm going high quality, not some crap in a jar (speaking personally for my own taste) ...

save your sugar and carb fix for something worthy of it!

That's why it's so tasty. Yum!
  • GTAFrank
    GTAFrank Posts: 730 Member
    Options

OMG. Why was I not made aware of this? Must secure some... immediately!
  • AHack3
    AHack3 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I love natural almond butter, I use both crunchy and creamy for different things and I love them both...yummy.