trying to eat healthy but still gaining weight.

Options
I have been eating healthier than I ever have but am still gaining weight. Look over my food diary and tell me what I'm doing wrong, please. I would like to fix things that my family will also eat because this keeps me on track.

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter the types of food you eat, what is key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. if you are gaining weight, you are still eating at a surplus.

and your diary is not public.
  • wordena
    wordena Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods are nutritious and important for you. But without stringent portion control on almost everything but vegetables, weight gain will still happen. But yourself a food scale and start measuring. Youd be surprised what one serving really is.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter the types of food you eat, what is key to weight loss is a calorie deficit. if you are gaining weight, you are still eating at a surplus.

and your diary is not public.

This.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt public.

also if you're eating more food than you require then you will gain weight, regardless if it's "healthy" or not. after all sumo wrestlers eat primarily healthy foods too
  • heatherota
    Options
    Exercise is needed. If you are a mother with little one's around, walk them to the park, play ball with them, go swimming with them, anything to get you moving.

Portion control is key too. Buy a food scale and measure EVERYTHING
  • sunryzer
    sunryzer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Portion control is the thing that will amaze you. Get out the food scale and the measuring cups and prepare for some surprises!

In some cases, when I starting measuring portions, I found that I had previously been eating double (or greater) the actual portion!
  • sherryb3052
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I changed my diary settings to public. I will keep your advice in mind. I'm sure I need to increase exercise.:smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Exercise is needed. If you are a mother with little one's around, walk them to the park, play ball with them, go swimming with them, anything to get you moving.

Exercise isn't needed for weightloss, just a caloric deficit.
  • Rachelito
    Rachelito Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    After going back a few days in your diary I can see that you are not eating nearly enough. On top of that, what you are eating is a lot of pre-packaged food and take-out. Those are sodium bombs which can cause you to retain water.

You should start measuring everything you eat and drinking tons of water. Both of those will help tremendously with seeing the scale move in the right direction.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's a lot of reading, and all of the linked posts are worth reading too, but it should get you going in the right direction again.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Measure your food
    Drink tons of water
    Cut the sodium in half
    Try cooking your meals more, that way you know exactly how much your eating and what your eating
    Exercise
    Eat a little more you are eating only 800 calories or so. It's a lifestyle not a diet, think about the long run :)
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Your diary suggests you are eating hardly anything, so my guess is if you are putting on weight you are logging wrong. Make sure you weigh everything, and input your own recipes if you are not already.
    Apart from that, are you weighing to often perhaps? Don't forget you weight you fluctuate quite a bit. I suggest weighing only once a week, in the morning after the toilet, before breakfast, to take away as many variables as possible.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not consistent - and it shows huge amounts of carbs and very little protein...Start weighing and measure everything, log it all and up your protein - a peanutbutter mayo and banana sandwich for breakfast is not healthy....
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I expect that you're eating far more than you think. Your either not logging everything or what you're logging is inaccurate. 1 sandwich isn't really a measurement. Also some fresh fruit and Veg would be good as you are severely lacking in that department.
  • twixlepennie
    Options

Exercise isn't needed for weightloss, just a caloric deficit.

This.
    <
    lost over 50lbs wihout any exercise. Did'nt start until I transitioned into maintenance :)
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

It's a lot of reading, and all of the linked posts are worth reading too, but it should get you going in the right direction again.

Perfect advice. You can own this but you will have to do the research. Frankly that link gets you the knowledge you likely need. Best of luck to you!
  • twixlepennie
    Options

+1
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you are eating more calories than you are logging. for instance from panera's website, half that grilled chicken ceasar salad is 220 calories, you have it as 70 calories.

the calories counts you have in panera sandwiches also look off.

MFP has an extensive database but many things are wrong. i recently found something that was listed as being 600 calories less than what it really should be. if something seems to good to be true calorie wise in our database, then odds are it's wrong
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi Sherryb, good on you for trying to make some positive changes, but as you have asked for opinions, I am going to be honest. Have had a look at your food diary. Your tracking of intake has lots of gaps. Horrified by the amount of processed and junk food you eat - suggest you think about adding some more fresh food, vegetables and fruit on a daily basis, The other thing is portion control is paramount. If you really don't know what constitutes a healthy diet suggest you look for guidelines to help. I don't know what country you live in , but here in Australia our government publishes healthy food guidelines. It basically outlines what a healthy diet consists of and gives daily targets for fruit and veg intake, protein, fats etc. It suggests what a healthy plate of food looks like. Maybe you can access something similar where you are? The other thing is, apart from weight loss, I can't help to feel a diet full of processed food like yours would lead to low energy levels, and basically make you feel like crap. You have the power to make healthy changes. All the best.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    you are eating more calories than you are logging. for instance from panera's website, half that grilled chicken ceasar salad is 220 calories, you have it as 70 calories.

the calories counts you have in panera sandwiches also look off.

MFP has an extensive database but many things are wrong. i recently found something that was listed as being 600 calories less than what it really should be. if something seems to good to be true calorie wise in our database, then odds are it's wrong

bingo.

the whole process is a simple equation. OP is eating more than they think.