ankle pains during/after runs???

supermom1114
supermom1114 Posts: 577
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So I ran casually before and I just began playing soccer twice a week, pilates twice a week and a 30 min run three times a week, last week. So I've only done one full week of this and I'm halfway through my second week and I'm getting pains on the insides of both my ankles. It only hurts when I run not when I walk. I've iced them, rested, etc. What could this be? Theres been one time the pain extended up into the inside of my right calf about 6-8 inches. I've had these running shoes for a while but never kept track of miles before so I'm unsure of how many miles they have. Is it just time for new shoes? Am I overpronating, underpronating? Wearing the wrong shoes altogether? Any knowledgeable advice is appreciated!

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Id suggest going to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes. They can get you in a properly fitted pair of shoes, get you proper arch support, etc. They can also analyze your running style and see if you're technique is improper. Don't laugh. Some people really don't know how to run and they end up messing up their knees in the process.

Course, some of the pain is probably associated with the newness of this routine, regardless of whether or not you used to run frequently.

Good luck!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Sounds like you are overpronating, but yeah...go to a running store to get fitted properly. If you improve your calf muscles this helps too.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    As the others have mentioned, just to be safe it's a good idea to go to a store specializing in running shoes... they know what they're talking about and aren't (as) likely to try and sell you the most expensive shoe whether it fits or not.

If you have the opportunity, I'd also recommend you see a doctor who knows about sports-related injuries... at one point I fractured my ankle and "toughed it out" for 3 months. It was kind of an inconvenient but not outright agonizing pain, so I figured rest and ice would be good enough. When I finally got to a doctor he found the fracture and I spent 6 weeks in a walking cast... not fun and definitely not fitting with an active lifestyle. I don't think you have the same thing (since you mentioned walking doesn't hurt), but it was pain on the inside of my ankle, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

Good luck, and keep going with your running!
  • Thanks everyone, I've always known I needed to go to a running store but ah, just never went. I guess its time to retire this pair to just walking around town and get a new properly fitted pair.
This discussion has been closed.