I'm not sure if the food I'm eating will do anything

Options
Thus far today I have had two slices of Orowheat double fiber bread, 80 calories total of Blue Bonnet light on the bread, a large banana with one serving of smooth peanut butter, and I'll probably have some yogurt and granola and oranges and a salad and get up to my daily calories by the end of the day with similar health foods. But for some reason, I feel like these foods are doing nothing for me. I've been eating like this for three weeks, bicycling for about an hour a day, and I've lost nothing: No weight OR inches.

Can someone suggest something please? You all seem to be pretty well rounded with these subjects. Thanks.

Replies

• hideandseek
    Options
    Thus far today I have had two slices of Orowheat double fiber bread, 80 calories total of Blue Bonnet light on the bread, a large banana with one serving of smooth peanut butter, and I'll probably have some yogurt and granola and oranges and a salad and get up to my daily calories by the end of the day with similar health foods. But for some reason, I feel like these foods are doing nothing for me. I've been eating like this for three weeks, bicycling for about an hour a day, and I've lost nothing: No weight OR inches.

Can someone suggest something please? You all seem to be pretty well rounded with these subjects. Thanks.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    give us your age, weight, height, activity level, and how many calories you are eating. With that info we should be able to see if you are eating correctly.
  • hideandseek
    Options
    19, female, 145lbs, 5'7", I selected "lightly active", and 1200 a day.
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    you're probably eating too little. I had similar goals to you, and I ate about 1400 calories a day! plus exercise calories too, make sure you're eating those
  • hideandseek
    Options
    lifesaver, I sent you a pm

and biking for 60 minutes a day, 5-6 times a week, plus walking at least 2 miles a day, would that classify as active?
  • lifesaver
    Options
    I replied :)

I would consider that active! Also, do you have your goals to 1 or 2 pounds a week?
  • banks1850
    Options
    yeah, 1200 is pretty aggressive for someone that isn't classified as overweight.
    as a matter of fact your BMI is around 22.5 which means you shouldn't be eating anything less
    then 1500 calories, and if you exercise you should be adding what you exercise into that.

Your body already thinks it's fine, so you can't have a big deficit and expect your body not to push back. If you want to lose weight it will happen VERY slowly at that level.

please see this post and read the links in there, it should explain everything to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Try adding some chicken, fish, lean turkey, brown rice, wheat pasta, fresh veggies, almonds.
    Eat all you calories-even the ones you burn. Drink plenty of water.
    Each person is different, sometimes it take a lot of adjusting and it will happen.
  • lifesaver
    Options
    yeah, 1200 is pretty aggressive for someone that isn't classified as overweight.
    as a matter of fact your BMI is around 22.5 which means you shouldn't be eating anything less
    then 1500 calories, and if you exercise you should be adding what you exercise into that.

Your body already thinks it's fine, so you can't have a big deficit and expect your body not to push back. If you want to lose weight it will happen VERY slowly at that level.

please see this post and read the links in there, it should explain everything to you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

my BMI is around that too, but MFP tells me to eat like 1400. Should I manually change that?
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    FUZZBUZZ4 Posts: 334
    Options
    Yea i am asking the same questions.. i am 5'6 and weigh 130 at 1400 a day.. should i up my cals... cuz since i have upped my cals i have gained weight like 4 pounds...
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Add protein. I do not see a lot of protein in what you listed and low fat protein will help
  • hideandseek
    Options

But my BMR is like, 1480 calories a day. . . 1500 is over that.
  • banks1850
    Options

I'm not sure you really understand what BMR is. BMR is what your body needs just to function, not taking into account the normal activities of your day like, rising out of bed, chewing, blinking, walking...etc. If your BMR is 1480 that just means, under normal circumstances, ingesting less then 1480 calories for a prolonged period will eventually lead to catatonia and death (that's a little extreme, but you get my drift)

To everyone, you guys really need to read the posts listed in the Newbies post. Because it explains all this stuff. The info is all right there for you, you just have to read it. here is the link again, please read it.

• hideandseek
    Options

I'm not sure you really understand what BMR is. BMR is what your body needs just to function, not taking into account the normal activities of your day like, rising out of bed, chewing, blinking, walking...etc. If your BMR is 1480 that just means, under normal circumstances, ingesting less then 1480 calories for a prolonged period will eventually lead to catatonia and death (that's a little extreme, but you get my drift)

To everyone, you guys really need to read the posts listed in the Newbies post. Because it explains all this stuff. The info is all right there for you, you just have to read it. here is the link again, please read it.

I didn't have time to read it earlier but I just did. Thanks.