Bulky but low calorie foods...

xscat
xscat Posts: 80 Member
Yes food like celery, apples and tomatoes are filling.... But sometimes I get this "my stomach is stuffed but I'm still hungry" feeling, especially after eating 200grams of celery as a mid-afternoon snack..... The feeling is really awful. Is it just in my head (that I'm hungry), or is it some sort of physical need? Does anybody else experience similar things as well? Or is 200grams of celery too much to eat in one setting?

Thanks!

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Rice cakes
    Pickles
    Fruit
    Egg whites
  • Vegetables particularly high in fibre make me feel so stuffed for obvious reasons xD .
    Broccoli is king.
  • mistress8956
    mistress8956 Posts: 265 Member
    Spaghetti squash the whole thing (3lbsish) is only 165 cal! And I can never eat more then half and I'm completely stuffed
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I need to add protein and fat to my vegies to keep me full. I can eat unlimited vegies, literally cups and cups (my lunch has about 700g vegies in it and I'd happily eat more) but without the other two I'll be starving in about an hour.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    How about eating some real food with your celery?

Snacks are meant to provide nutrition, celery has very little.
  • nicleed
    nicleed Posts: 247 Member
    I need to add protein and fat to my vegies to keep me full. I can eat unlimited vegies, literally cups and cups (my lunch has about 700g vegies in it and I'd happily eat more) but without the other two I'll be starving in about an hour.
    [/quote

This
  • byustrongman
    byustrongman Posts: 74 Member
    Beans.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Those foods aren't very satiating. Fat and protein are good for that. Fiber helps fill you up, but that is not always enough as you have seen. Try adding some peanut butter or some thing else to your snack to help.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    You need some protein and fat with all that celery. Add a stick of string cheese or something and you won't be lusting after that protein and fat later on.
  • amydeca123
    amydeca123 Posts: 6 Member
    Before I have my afternoon snack (usually fruit or veggies too) I drink I full waterbottle or lots of green tea. This helps me feel full- I always feel 'hungry' when I'm just bored. A snack with protien would definetly help too.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Put a little bit peanut butter on the celery. The fat and protein will keep you fuller longer. If it is in your head...more like craving, try some hot tea. That helps me slow down and take my mind off of food for awhile.
  • RaluKitty
    RaluKitty Posts: 62 Member
    Protein is what takes care of the hunger feeling, not having a very full tummy (I know it because I love huge stir fries but I have to add plenty of protein to avoid being hungry in 1h). I suggest having one serving of protein powder, and still eat the veggies for the nutrients, fiber and full tummy feeling. I use a high quality whey protein powder that tastes amazing and mixes very well, so I can mix it with water only and not add other calories to it (Gold Standard is the brand).
  • 1flowergirl
    1flowergirl Posts: 57 Member
    I have the same thing happen, its very frustrating as I just want to eat, even though I know I'm not really hungry. I will sometimes make a cup of green tea, and it does help.
  • xscat
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I usually eat my celery with hummus or yogurt... But today after that 200grams of celery I was just too stuffed to even touch my yogurt yet I somehow still felt "hungry". Maybe it was just cravings XD

I'm really not a cheese person. Maybe next time I'll "butter" it up with peanut butter... mmmmm Yum
  • xscat
    As a Chinese who grew up on stir-fries I feel officially offended... haha jkjk XD

But yeah this is a great point. Stuffing my tummy doesn't necessarily help with the hunger. I'm a small-but-many meals type of person so not leaving room for protein is probably why I felt full yet I was still hungry.