610 cal for 33 min of Cardio - Can this be right?

Squash97
Squash97 Posts: 84
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I used my heartrate monitor (which does not have a chest strap) and updated it every few minutes, so it should be correct, but the calories just seem so high. I mean, I put a lot into it and am sweating buckets, but is it really possible to burn 1/2 my daily calories in just 1/2 an hour? For those of you that use hr monitors regularly - do you think this is correct?

Replies

• CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    It depends on how much you weigh ;)

What kind of HRM do you have?
  • Sounds really high to me. I usually burn around 10-12 calories/minute (I do use a chest strap). Even if I have a really intense workout, by the time I warm up and cool down that seems to be the average.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    That sounds too high to me. 300 cals for 30 mins of exercise? Yes. 600? Uh-uh.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Wayyy too high. I did an hour of intense stuff today and only burnt 400.
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Depends how much you way. I did 30 minutes and burned close to 400 calories. I weigh 210 and ran 77% hr.

It does sounds a little high BUT it's possible.
  • My hr was around 176-179. Reading as generally 80-90%. I weigh 117lbs. I have been doing kickboxing for about a month now just about every day, so even if I was really out of shape it seems as though that's a lot. I don't have the chest strap, but was updating my hr every few minutes to get as accurate a reading as possible. During turbo bursts, I got up to 184, which the watch said was 94%. I'm fairly new to doing regular cardio, but it just didn't seem like an accurate number... It's a pretty intense workout, but geez!
  • I work out pretty regularly on my elliptical and the best i ever did was 425 in 30 min.. and i had to haul...butt to do it. 600 sounds like alot i couldnt imagine being able to do that.
  • I would be very surprised if it was right, sure would like to be able do that thought!
  • i just gave up on that, the important thing is to exercise and watch what u eat!
    :glasses:
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    theres no way at 117# you burned that many calories in 33 minutes, lol, unless you're really at about 300% your MHR ;)

at 200#, i'd ride my bike for an hour with an average heart rate of above 90% my MHR and burn about 600 calories in a whole hour.

given you're about half that weight, worked out half the time, at a lower average HR, id say the 610 calories is inaccurate. :(
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    At your weight and heart rate zone, that is not correct. You really need to get a Polar heart rate monitor...

I'm 125 lbs and did 40 minutes of spinning yesterday...and I burned around 350 calories. On average I burn 10 calories/minute doing cardio at 80% max heart rate.
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    My hr was around 176-179. Reading as generally 80-90%. I weigh 117lbs. I have been doing kickboxing for about a month now just about every day, so even if I was really out of shape it seems as though that's a lot. I don't have the chest strap, but was updating my hr every few minutes to get as accurate a reading as possible. During turbo bursts, I got up to 184, which the watch said was 94%. I'm fairly new to doing regular cardio, but it just didn't seem like an accurate number... It's a pretty intense workout, but geez!

Also depends on what you're doing. For example if I'm on the elliptical, I'll burn about 300-400 in 30 minutes. If I'm
    doing Muay Thai, I can easily burn 500-600 calories in 30 minutes.

So its really a combination of your weight, your activity level, time, etc. that can influence on how much you're burning.

I also don't have a chest strap. I use a Mio Motiva and never fell for that 'chest strap' is better nonesense. As long as
    your HRM is programmed correctly, you'll get just as good a readout.

Doug
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I used my heartrate monitor (which does not have a chest strap) and updated it every few minutes, so it should be correct, but the calories just seem so high. I mean, I put a lot into it and am sweating buckets, but is it really possible to burn 1/2 my daily calories in just 1/2 an hour? For those of you that use hr monitors regularly - do you think this is correct?

I have burned 1100 calories in 70 minutes running 7.25mph for the entire time, so yes it is possible. However, it all depends how fast and how much you kept going.

I usually use the "one mile = 100 calories (underestimated)* rules for the treadmill, as far as I can ascertain, the elliptical is virtually the same. Not sure what cardio you were doing though.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Not even close. Probably not even 1/2 that.
This discussion has been closed.