Anybody have any Ideas for a Low-Fat Cake?

ahuggins
ahuggins Posts: 15
edited September 21 in Recipes
My Husband has a birthday right around the corner-I need an idea for a cake. His fav is yellow cake with Chocolate icing. Any ideas on how to make this any healthier or another kind of cake is fine too. Thanks, Andrea

Replies

• Angel food cake.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    What you need is the Cook Yourself Thin website. I started watching the show and I used a lot of their recipes. I'm sure you can find something there :smile: Good Luck And tell hubby Happy Birthday :laugh:

http://www.channel4.com/food/on-tv/cook-yourself-thin/
  • Thanks so much!!
  • Sparren
    Sparren Posts: 106
    Google is your friend....

happy b'day to the hubby!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    How about this:Citrus Chiffon Cake

Ingredients
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    8 ounces granulated sugar (about 1 cup), divided
    6 ounces sifted cake flour (about 1 3/4 cups)
    1 tablespoon grated orange rind
    1/2 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange)
    1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
    5 tablespoons canola oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    3 large egg yolks
    8 large egg whites
    3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    2 teaspoons powdered sugar
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 325°.

Combine baking powder, salt, 7 ounces sugar, and flour in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until mixture is well combined.

Combine orange rind and next 5 ingredients (through egg yolks) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add rind mixture to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.

Place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1 ounce sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into flour mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.

Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto plate. Sift powdered sugar over top of cake.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    158 (30% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.3g (sat 0.6g,mono 3g,poly 1.5g)
    Protein:
    3.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    24.2g
    Fiber:
    0.3g
    Cholesterol:
    38mg
    Iron:
    1mg
    Sodium:
    149mg
    Calcium:
    34mg
  • mmm that sounds good!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Sorry didn't read your whole post here's one for yellow cake chocolate frosting:

Ingredients
    CAKE:
    Cooking spray
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup butter, melted
    1 (8-ounce) carton fat-free sour cream
    1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk

FROSTING:
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese, softened
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 to 2 tablespoons evaporated fat-free milk
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    3 cups powdered sugar, divided
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 350°.

To prepare cake, coat bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray (do not coat sides of pan); line bottom of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour. Set aside.

Combine 1/2 cup butter and sour cream in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat with a mixer at medium speed 3 minutes or until well blended. Add egg substitute; beat 2 minutes or until well blended.

Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Pour batter into prepared pan. Sharply tap pan once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Carefully peel off wax paper; cool completely on wire rack.

To prepare frosting, place the cream cheese, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add cocoa, milk, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; beat at low speed until well blended. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar; beat at low speed until creamy. Gradually add remaining 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar. Place cake on a serving platter. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    291 (25% from fat)
    Fat:
    8.1g (sat 4.1g,mono 3.3g,poly 0.4g)
    Protein:
    4.3g
    Carbohydrate:
    51.6g
    Fiber:
    0.9g
    Cholesterol:
    22mg
    Iron:
    1mg
    Sodium:
    285mg
    Calcium:
    54mg
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Weight Watchers style!! This is going to sound soooooo wierd it did to me the first time I heard it! You take a box of cake mix and add ONLY 1 THING...A CAN OF DIET SODA mix it all up and bake. instead of fattening icing use lite cool whip. A couple of examples would be Cherry cake mix with Diet Cherry 7up or chocolate cake mix with DIET Cherry coke No eggs No oli/butter= LESS FAT ! My kids love it! I like to use strawberry cake mix with which ever diet soda usually diet coke and then once it is completely cool add a layer of Lite Cool Whip then on the cool whip layers of sliced strawberries pretty and delicious!! Try it :smile:
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Weight Watchers style!! This is going to sound soooooo wierd it did to me the first time I heard it! You take a box of cake mix and add ONLY 1 THING...A CAN OF DIET SODA mix it all up and bake. instead of fattening icing use lite cool whip. A couple of examples would be Cherry cake mix with Diet Cherry 7up or chocolate cake mix with DIET Cherry coke No eggs No oli/butter= LESS FAT ! My kids love it! I like to use strawberry cake mix with which ever diet soda usually diet coke and then once it is completely cool add a layer of Lite Cool Whip then on the cool whip layers of sliced strawberries pretty and delicious!! Try it :smile:

You beat me to it! I was totally going to suggest this. I've done strawberry cake mix with diet 7up, poured the batter into a cupcake tin, and they turned out so yummy! Only thing is the cake doesn't get as much "fluff" as a traditional cake does. But it is so guiltless!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    1 box of yellow cake mix plus a can of diet 7up. mix and bake. you can beat in a couple of egg whites to make sure it fluffs up.

sugar free fat free jello instant pudding - chocolate for the frosting.

reduced calories all around and yummy!
  • Thanks everyone!
  • 2girlzmm
    2girlzmm Posts: 81 Member
    bump...great ideas!
  • bnielsen87
    bnielsen87 Posts: 1 Member
    The weight watchers cake ideas are AMAZING! I love to make up my own and add different soda flavors to different cake flavors...it it unbelievably moist and super delicious!! A MUST TRY for everyone...even if you're not watching your weight!
  • tessjordan88
    tessjordan88 Posts: 201 Member
    My mom used to make a low-fat cake by substituting different things for the oil in the cake mix box recipe. She tried several ideas, including:

applesauce
    sugar-free instant vanilla pudding made with skim milk
    cutting the oil in half, and just replacing it with more water.

I think the applesauce was the best!
This discussion has been closed.