I quit artificial Sweetener!!!

Options
I quit using artificial sweetener which I used for everything! I mean everything....coffee, cereal, baking etc... I quit drinking diet Pop but I can't and don't want to give up my coffee. I cannot drink it without sugar. I also sweeten my oatmeal to make it taste better. Has anyone gone through a similar change and how did they replace the sweetener? I looked at Stevia but I find that I am just replacing one chemical with another...

Any ideas?

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I stopped using anything artificial over 30 years ago , I rather have a lil of the good stuff or nothing at all then having the yucky after taste or chemicals in my body.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I weaned myself off it. If I want to sweeten stuff I'll use actual sugar - usually honey or dates.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Sugar?
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Everything you put in your body is a chemical. I've seen no decent evidence to suggest that artificial sweeteners are really bad for you. Personally, I'd just keep using them if they help you meet your calorie goals. Only other way around it is to work sugar into your carb macros (edit: and calories, of course).
  • biankavarner
    biankavarner Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Actually artificial sweetener is the reason why I have not been able to lose weight even when I eat right. Then I seen this article on how it actually causes people to gain weight. Also since I stopped using it I feel more energized and better overall. It has only been a week and since I only weigh myself every two weeks I don't know how it is affecting me on the scale.

I do add the sugar to my daily count though
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Actually artificial sweetener is the reason why I have not been able to lose weight even when I eat right. Then I seen this article on how it actually causes people to gain weight. Also since I stopped using it I feel more energized and better overall. It has only been a week and since I only weigh myself every two weeks I don't know how it is affecting me on the scale.

Artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain, nor are they the cause of not losing weight.

Calorie surplus=weight gain
    Calorie deficit=weight loss
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    High quality Stevia isn't replacing one chemical for another. The catch is, it will probubly cost you an arm and a leg.

The brand I try to always have on hand is liquid stevia drops made by Sweetleaf. It's all natural. I add it to teas and various 0 calorie drinks with lemon that need some sweetness to balance the sour without the sugar.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Congrats?

More for me, I suppose!
  • biankavarner
    Options

Artificial sweeteners do not cause weight gain, nor are they the cause of not losing weight.

well there are many studies out there that say that it does cause weight gain. I am not saying I believe everything but what do I have to lose.

http://www.newswire.net/newsroom/pr/00079190-obesity-weight-gain-common-factors.html

http://www.dubaichronicle.com/2014/01/11/new-weight-loss-strategies/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

These are just a few of the hundreds of articles out there
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

This!! I use em and drink diet pop and have managed to lose 300+ lbs. I am banking on the fact I was eating in a caloric deficit is what caused the weight loss..... Best of Luck OP, I have no advice cause I don't believe there is a reason to cut them out if used in moderation.....
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    More worry over things that don't matter IMHO
  • biankavarner
    Options
    Here is the one that I seen a while ago...

I didn't use it in moderation... I used sweetener for everything and drank too much diet Pop

http://www.examiner.com/article/dr-oz-details-two-week-rapid-weight-loss-diet-lose-nine-pounds-14-days
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Here is the one that I seen a while ago...

I didn't use it in moderation... I used sweetener for everything and drank too much diet Pop

http://www.examiner.com/article/dr-oz-details-two-week-rapid-weight-loss-diet-lose-nine-pounds-14-days

Artificial sweeteners and diet soda have absolutely nothing to do with weight gain or loss.

BTW, Dr Oz is a joke. He cashed in his physician credibility to shill for supplement companies and the diet industry on TV. You should never listen to anything he says, ever.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've also given up artificial sweeteners. I drink my coffee with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and sometimes a sprinkle of cinnamon for flavor. I cook my oatmeal in unsweetened almond milk with a dash of cinnamon, then stir in some nut butter while it's hot and top with fresh fruit for sweetness. I use raw cane sugar, light brown sugar, maple syrup, and honey, and I will eat things with stevia or agave nectar as well.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I quit artificial sweetener too--used to use 3 or more packets of Splenda in my coffee, but never really liked it. I slowly weaned down to 2, then 1, and then none--now I drink it totally black. I found that when I gave up the sweeteners, most foods started tasting sweeter. Maybe try weaning yourself down with sugar packets?
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I stopped using that s**t. It's a trigger food.
  • aggiekaren01
    aggiekaren01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I gave them up about six months ago. I was drinking way too many diet cokes and once I decided to give it up, I gave up all artificial sweeteners.

My main issue was the diet coke. I keep sparkling water around for when I want the fizzy. The citrus flavors of La Croix were the best substitute for me. I also stopped using Splenda in my iced tea and used lots of lemon for a while. Now I can drink it without the lemon, although I still do like it better with lemon.

As for my coffee, I was using Splenda and powder coffee mate. I replaced both with one tablespoon of real half and half. The cream adds a sweetness. It took a couple of days to get used to it, but now I really enjoy my coffee that way.

It was really hard the first few weeks but now they taste bad to me!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    well there are many studies out there that say that it does cause weight gain. I am not saying I believe everything but what do I have to lose.

http://www.newswire.net/newsroom/pr/00079190-obesity-weight-gain-common-factors.html

http://www.dubaichronicle.com/2014/01/11/new-weight-loss-strategies/

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

These are just a few of the hundreds of articles out there
    Artficial sweeteners don't cause weight gain. These studies show correlation not causation. Try PEER REVIEWED STUDIES instead, like those from NIH, Journals of Medicine and Science or even University Studies.
    I've been drinking diet Pepsi for oaver 25+ years now and have never dealt with any of the issues that are stated by many of these "studies".

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If you really want to quit it then replacing with sugar would be the obvious choice.

Then it is up to you to decide what you think will hinder your weight loss more. Artificial sweeteners aka the chemical ****storm with zero calories or sugar (also a chemical) that has calories.

Choice is yours.
  • biankavarner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas on how to replace it. I do believe that it has a direct link to me not losing weight. I have nothing to lose cutting them out of my diet.

I will some of the ideas that were mentioned.