Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Exercises that burn one pound.

2»

Replies

• sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    If you pat your head and rub your belly at the same time for 78.4 minutes you'll lose a pound of fat.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    I have heard so many different things on how to burn a pound. Like, do a 1000 jumping jacks, which I doubt is true. Or jog for one hour. I guess I was just wondering what REALLY burns one pound. I really like the idea of trying to burn pound per pound. I know that 3500 calories is a pound so that is how many calories you have to burn to lose a pound. For instance, if 1000 jumping jacks DID burn one pound. I would try to do like 200 jumping jacks a day and in 5 days, I would have burned a pound. I really like this idea of losing weight but I just don't know where to start. Help? (:

this is why so much of the balance for weight loss is calorie deficit. Not only can you not burn enough calories in a workout to lose a pound, but the gross burn counts in the calories you would have burned anyway just by being alive. You have to subtract those calories to find your net burn. If I do a solid 1/2 hour on the elliptical at a high level of resistance, I only burn 300 calories. You can eat 300 calories in one normal candy bar, or a large bottle of regular soda. Exercise is for fitness and to help you create a slightly larger deficit. The majority of your weight loss should come from a calorie deficit in your diet.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    OK, so you have your answer. Run a marathon and loose a pound of fat.

Works every time.

'Fraid not. Not many people are getting through a marathon without fueling along the way. If it takes you 4 hours to run, and you're consuming 250 calories/hour during the run, you've only netted 2/3 of a pound of fat.

All of that assuming you are burning 100% fat. Which you are not.
  • vegehippie
    vegehippie Posts: 6 Member
    Look at it this way:

To create a 300-calorie deficit today, you can:

Run about 35 minutes at 6 mph
    or
    Skip the Snickers bar

Ha! I love this.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Things that burn 3500 calories:

Running 29 miles
    Cycling 100 miles
    Playing full-court basketball for 7 hours straight
    5.5 hours of racquetball
    Sitting around on your butt for 1.5 days

One of these things is different than the others.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Look at it this way:

or
    Skip the Snickers bar

A Snickers bar is 250 calories Johnny. :angry:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Look at it this way:

or
    Skip the Snickers bar

A Snickers bar is 250 calories Johnny. :angry:

Really? I thought they were 290 :laugh:
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    If you pat your head and rub your belly at the same time for 78.4 minutes you'll lose a pound of fat.

Has to be exactly 78.4 minutes, though. 78.3 and you might as well do nothing, 78.5 and you are going to bulk up and look like a bodybuilder. That's just science.
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    This is amazing. And useful for making me commit extra hard to the food side of things
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

Thing that burns 3500 calories:

Sitting around on your butt for 1.5 days

That's how I read it.

sloth-inside1.jpg
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    You could do a million jumping jacks and not lose one pound if you eat too many calories.

Exercise doesn't burn body mass; calorie deficit does. You can lose weight doing zero exercise, or you can lose weight doing a ton of exercise.

+100

OP-I lost over 50lbs without doing any exercise. It's about calories, calories, calories :)
  • BrownEyeAngel
    BrownEyeAngel Posts: 331 Member
    I personally believe you have to put the work in to get the results. There is no easy why to lose weight...