Anyone in menopause out there?

Options
Just wondering if there are any other ladies out there that are experiencing menopause. It has affected my energy levels and I have become incredibly lethargic. Just started bio-identical HRT a four months ago with a hormone implant and boy can I tell it's time to go back to the doctor for another dose. I am counting calories but just don't have the energy to work out yet. Have an appointment next week with the doctor and then my energy should come back a bit. I never realized how hormone deficiency can affect everything. I have 30 pounds to lose and keep losing and gaining the four pounds but I'm trying to reach out and stay in touch with others on MFP so I can stay motivated.

Replies

• jojo4613
    jojo4613 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I experienced menopause "suddenly". I'm 46 and swear becoming a grandma 2 1/2 years ago literally "triggered" menopause. I was extremely lethargic at first but am lucky enough to have found the energy I need through exercise. I still struggle with sleep issues from time to time but notice that I have gotten used to the idea of operating on less sleep. I don't know if that will be encouraging to you or not. Or if it will hold true for you, either. Whatever you do, hang in there and just keep doing whatever you can.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I am fifty-three though I don't currently have any health issues. I feel good and look forward to my next 30-40 years.
  • kabrube2
    kabrube2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and consider myself lucky... no issues what so ever.. I work out 6 days a week and it makes me feel amazing! I just pushed myself and once I got started could not stop... good luck you can do this!!
  • Snoopy4v
    Options
    Wow. For some reason it hadn't occurred to me that the extreme fatigue I've been experiencing could be menopause. I'm almost 52 and significant loss of energy and weight gain are my main issues. I've never had to lose weight before in my life so this is new to me.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement. Need to stop feeling sorry for myself and get motivated. I know exercise is a huge part of it and I used to do interval training three times a week and floor exercises as well. I'll get back to it. Thanks again.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    It took me a while to figure it out. I had not menstruated for years due to having my uterus ablated due to fibroids. I finally had blood work done and was told that I had practically no estrogen or testosterone. Hair loss, feeling cold, lethargy, hot flashes are other symptoms. Not fun! You might want to have your levels checked at least to rule that out as being an issue. Thanks for the reply.
  • Gramm12345
    Gramm12345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 53 and menopausal, I find that my energy levels are decreased lately which I am sure is hormonal. But I find when I do my 3-4 days a week workouts it helps my energy level extremely. Good luck with your journey.
  • mjmyck
    mjmyck Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi I am 55 as well and have been going through menopause for the past 3 yrs. I gained about 25 lbs but have lost some over the past year. I seem to go up and down. Decided to give this a whirl once again as I do think counting calories helps with the weight. I am not taking any HRT but I have been on an antidepressant for many years. I find with my daily vitamins I have enough energy to get in a 45 min workout 4-5 times a week. However, I just started on the exercise wagon again. Seem to go in spurts with that too! We just have to make time and take care of our bodies. My doctor friend says that if we take care now, it will really pay off in our 70 & 80's.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    What are good vitamins to take. I take a multi, Vitamin D and Fish Oil right now.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I supplement with plus protein powder. It isn't hard, it is tedious.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and have gone through menopause. I did not take any supplements, HRT, nor vitamins. I just stuck it out through the mood swings, sleepless nights, hot flashes., etc. now in hindsight, maybe I should have, then I would not have to explain all those dead bodies of people who pissed me off that I have buried in my back yard:bigsmile: .

But seriously, I found that exercise and yoga really did help.
  • tracywintn
    Options
    Me:) I went into surgical menopause at 28 and I am now 44. I used to blame my weight gain on menopause, then I took a diet pill and lost a ton of weight because I just wasn't hungry. Of course I gained it back but it was good for me to see it CAN be done-I just need to do the hard work for myself this time. Good luck! I haven't been on hormones for years. I had all the bad side effects the first few years but they have mostly all lessened now.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    Ha ha! Yes my boyfriend has suffered but the HRT is making me a bit nicer. I do blame him for my weight gain though:smile: Just kidding - it was the ice cream that I ate sitting in bed watching TV every night and the lack of exercise. I'm determined to get back to it. Plan to start on Saturday - only day I have a free morning for the next few days. It's funny because when I was working out, I wanted to do it because it made me feel so good but since I haven't done any for at least seven months or more, I don't want to. I know I just have to get started. You guys are encouraging!!
  • cj54ca
    cj54ca Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Have gained 30 pounds in one year and have no energy to exercise. Have been on bio-identicals for 6 months and just now beginning to feel somewhat better. I even did a Zumba class tonight. Just signed up to fitness pal tonight to begin my weight loss journey. I feel out of control and doctor tells me just eat less and exercise more. Easier said than done. I am hoping this program will help.
  • mjmyck
    mjmyck Posts: 2
    Options
    I take 4 vitamin D (1000 iu each) B12, Omega, and 2 magnesium glycinate (180 mg each). My Doctor just told me about the benefits of this type of magnesium and also advise me to increase my D to 4.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    Glad to hear the bio-identicals are beginning to work. I think this is going to help me stay motivated. It is great to be in contact with others in the same boat. We all have the same goal to lose weight and feel good. I have heard great things about Zumba. Must check it out.
  • karleigh55
    Options
    I take Magnesium at night but it sounds like Magnesium Glycinate is different. Will check it out. Thanks.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Almost all of those symptoms you describe could also be hypothyroidism and/or anemia. Make sure your doctor has checked those levels. Hypothyroidism is very common w/women. It can cause you to feel tired, have dry skin, brittle hair, weight gain, & feeling cold all the time. Anemia is less common is post-menopausal women, but can also cause a lot of those symptoms.

Anyone w/a family history of breast cancer should not be doing HRT though.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I've been post menopausal for almost 4 years now. I've never taken hormones or done anything differently. Yes, the fatigue goes up and down. I actually get the chills more than hot flashes. I have some issues losing weight slowly but it does eventually come off with a lot of diligence. I notice that the more I stay active the better my mood swings seem to be. The natural endorphins are a great mood buster :D
  • JoanneK918
    JoanneK918 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 53 and started menopause when I was 41. It's been a horrible long road BUT I have figured out some things that do help. The most important is to get off wheat and even grains totally if you can. Stick to lean protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, and full fat Greek yogurt. I eat as much organic as I can. I am a holistic nutritionist and I do believe that food heals.
    Exercise is definitely important and 7-8 hours of sleep. And lots of deep breathing.
    I take DHEA, magnesium citrate, Vitamin D3 + K, omega 3's, vitamin C and calcium pyruvate. Drink a lot of water. And just make sure to take time for yourself to adjust, you deserve it!
    Hope this helps! :)