HRM

Rachickidee
Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have come to the conclusion that owning a Heart Rate Monitor would be beneficial in my journey to weight loss. Does anyone have any recommendations on a good brand that won't break the bank?

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I just got one today - a Sportline Duo 1010. It was $69.99. It seems pretty straightforward. I did download the user's manual onto my macbook so I could see it bigger. The booklet that comes with it is TINY. It's got a chest strap, but you can use just the watch as well.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    I got a nike watch a few years ago that has a HRM. It cost the price of a decent watch. Since I don't wear a watch, I don't use it as often as possible. It works well. As a bike rider, I am thinking of getting a Garmin with HRM that connects to the bike. That way, I don't have the watch on the wrist. A friend has one and loves it.

I would borrow one from a friend and see if it helps. In my cycling, i have learned how hard makes my heart get in a good cardio range. So, it sits on the dresser most of the time.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Polar makes good HRMs and range from $40 - $69 for a good done. Be careful though, the one I got, although really cool, is kind of big for my wrist. See if you can get a Ladies model, they're smaller.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors/best-heart-rate-monitors

Here's a good article and a good starting place to look up different brands.
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    I have a Polar F6 that I love. It's very reliable and accurate. It is a women's model, and fits nicely. I definitely find it beneficial to my workouts, it has been an eye opener to see how much I actually burn!
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Thanks guys, I will definitely check these out.
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    I take back my rec on the Sportline 1010. It refused to work this morning. I could ONLY check my heart rate by touching the watch, which is just not going to work for a workout. The chest strap would not register at all. All I could figure after trying everything BUT changing the battery in the chest strap was that it was the battery. And for a product that ships in "power save" mode, that just led me to believe that it's been sitting around for a LONG time. The manager at the sporting goods store it came from didn't argue with that logic at all, so that pretty much answered me.

Once the refund hits my account, I'm going to my running store and getting a Polar something-or-other depending on what they have. Yeah, it's more expensive, but I'll get 10% off!
This discussion has been closed.