Outdoor Workout or Gym?

Options
I'm a big fan of working out outdoors, I tried the gym and I did enjoy the treadmill (because the numbers were a big motivator for me), but the weight lifting machinery was a little scary for me. The small gym in my town didn't have a lot to choose from, however so I quit and started walking/running outside and doing body weight strength exercising at home. But, I got way off track around holiday time.

Do any of you prefer to workout outdoors, and if so, how do you work around the weird and nasty weather this time of year?

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I do alternate days running (C25k) and Chalean Extreme weight workouts. I ignore the rain but if it's icy I either do a second day weights or perhaps a stretch or T25 cardio programme.
  • stplatt
    stplatt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am SOOO in your corner. I LOVE running outside. Just me and the road. But I have always been intimidated by weights. Plus, I really don't care to be around a lot of people. i would much rather run outside and then workout in the house. Solitude is my friend.

Blessings,
    Steven
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I like to walk outdoors but I do everything else in the comfort of my garage (gym). I'm not into these outdoor training groups etc. not my style.

If it's hot, walk early in the morning or late in the evening. Raining - raincoat, sneakers that can't get wet & off we go.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I prefer the outdoors. The sunlight is good for us and I just find it more refreshing than a gym. (which I find just too germy and full of people for my tastes)

When it rains or is just too bitterly cold to do things outside, I stay in and do some working out inside. I have a few DVDs (like Jillian MIchaels, etc) and I just do those or Zumba. Or sometimes, I give myself that day off. It just depends. I've just never been a fan of gyms in general.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Walking and cycling outside.

Weightlifting and yoga inside.

ETA - I cycle commute and cannot choose the weather. Wear waterproofs and get used to it.
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up. I love some of the classes offered at my gym. I also love trail runs, mountain biking, ect . Big fan of variety! that said in the winter I do find myself in a pretty solid routine 90% of which is in the gym.
  • Chopstheduck
    Chopstheduck Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't like running on a treadmill, but I found that cardio alone wasn't going to get me the body I wanted. So I alternate - I run, cycle and walk outdoors, and do classes and strength work in the gym.

Get someone to show you round the weights so they are less intimidating :)
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    I hate treadmills so I do my cardio outside always; even in the -degree weather with snow
    as for strength training I mix it up with both, when its nice out and sunny of course.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Running outside is the only way to be. Treadmills are slack.

Workouts though, I do at home, although this is because of the costs and time that I have to go.