how to hard boil (organic) eggs

Options
Hardboiled eggs (the whites) now play an important role in my daily diet for lunch and snacks. And I've converted over from factory eggs to free range/organic. My wife has had the same process for making hardboiled eggs for 40+ years but we are experiencing a problem. Specifically, regular 'factory eggs' peel fine with her cooking method. But the same process on organic/free range/Omega 3 eggs result in having to 'chip' the shell off on 4 out of 5 eggs. 1/3rd of the egg sticks to the shell! We've tried cooking a couple of each types of egg in the same batch; regular factory eggs peel much better than the organic/free range/Omega 3 enhanced eggs even having gone through the same process.

Here's how the house frau does it:

-Put eggs in pot covered in water with lid on
-Medium heat
-When rolling boil commences turn heat off
-Let sit for 20 minutes
-Pour off water and replace with cool water
-Place eggs in bowl and into refrigerator (with a small amount of water)

Now why is it factory eggs peel fine and organic/free range/Omega 3 enhanced eggs don't?

How should we do it different so that the (good) eggs peel better?

806322.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• iDreamNEON
    Options
    I'm not sure if it'll make a difference but I was always taught to cool my eggs in warm water instead of into cool/cold water.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    Maybe vinegar in the water will help.

Ken's Perfect Boiled Eggs- Allrecipes.com

Ingredients
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
    6 cups water
    8 eggs

Directions
    1.Combine the salt, vinegar, and water in a large pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the eggs one at a time, being careful not to crack them. Reduce the heat to a gentle boil, and cook for 14 minutes.
    2.Once the eggs have cooked, remove them from the hot water, and place into a container of ice water or cold, running water. Cool completely, about 15 minutes. Store in the refrigerator up to 1 week.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    here is your answer, I simply googled "how to boil organic eggs" and this is what I got

Chopped, sliced or wedged, hard-cooked eggs are the base for egg salad, and they add protein and a happy glow to tossed and composed salads and casseroles.

Hard-cooked eggs are often incorrectly called hard-boiled eggs. Yes, the cooking water must come to a boil. But you’ll get more tender, less rubbery eggs—without a green ring around the yolk—and you’ll have less breakage if you turn off the heat or remove the pan from the burner, allowing the eggs to cook gently in hot water.

Very fresh eggs may be difficult to peel. The fresher the eggs, the more tenaciously the shell membranes cling. The simplest method for easy peeling is to buy and refrigerate eggs a week to 10 days in advance of hard-cooking. This brief “breather” allows the eggs to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.

Follow these steps to produce picture-perfect hard-cooked eggs, and visit the American Egg Board for quick and easy hard-cooked egg recipes.

1.Place eggs in single layer in saucepan. Add enough tap water to come at least 1 inch above eggs.
    2.Cover. Quickly bring just to boiling. Turn off heat.
    3.If necessary, remove pan from burner to prevent further boiling. Let eggs stand, covered, in the hot water about 15 minutes for large eggs (12 minutes for medium, 18 for extra large).
    4.Immediately run cold water over eggs, or place them in ice water (not standing water) until completely cooled. Once cooled, refrigerate eggs in their shells and use within one week of cooking, or peel and use immediately.
    5.To remove shell, crackle it by tapping gently until a fine network of lines appears all over the shell.
    6.Roll egg between hands to loosen shell.
    7.Peel, starting at large end. Hold egg under running cold water or dip in bowl of water to help ease off shell.
    8.To segment eggs evenly, use an egg slicer or wedger. For chopped eggs, rotate a sliced egg 90° in a slicer and slice again. Or, chop eggs with a sharp pastry blender in a bowl. Draw down a wedger’s wires only partway to open an egg to hold a stuffing or resemble a flower.
    Photo courtesy of NewsUSA
  • sergeant771
    Options
    Okay, we are going to try a couple things.....

-Include salt and vinegar in the mix
    -Age the (organic) eggs a bit more

This is quickly becoming a matter of honor for the little lady! Thank you for the responses.
  • sergeant771
    Options
    By the way, I'm just eating the whites and for the protein-low calorie standpoint. I don't care much about them being 'rubbery'. I just want them to peel easy.
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The problem you're having is related to the freshness of the eggs.

Eggs that are fresh will be difficult to peel. Eggs that have had the chance to sit in the store or fridge for a few days will peel more easily. There is a scientific reason for it. it has to do with the membrane that holds the egg to the shell.

It does not have one thing whatsoever to do with how the eggs are cooked or where the eggs come from.

Try buying eggs that are nearer the expiration date rather than the ones that are as fresh as possible. Or let the eggs wait in the fridge a few days before you boil them. It makes all the difference in the world.
  • sergeant771
    Options
    OK, we will let them age a bit moe

806322.png
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Very fresh eggs may be difficult to peel. The fresher the eggs, the more tenaciously the shell membranes cling. The simplest method for easy peeling is to buy and refrigerate eggs a week to 10 days in advance of hard-cooking. This brief “breather” allows the eggs to take in air, which helps separate the membranes from the shell.

This. Can't get much fresher than a egg straight from under a hen. Problem is, you can't peel them after hard boiling them. Doing the above is the easiest thing I've found.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled eggs (the whites) now play an important role in my daily diet for lunch and snacks. And I've converted over from factory eggs to free range/organic. My wife has had the same process for making hardboiled eggs for 40+ years but we are experiencing a problem. Specifically, regular 'factory eggs' peel fine with her cooking method. But the same process on organic/free range/Omega 3 eggs result in having to 'chip' the shell off on 4 out of 5 eggs. 1/3rd of the egg sticks to the shell! We've tried cooking a couple of each types of egg in the same batch; regular factory eggs peel much better than the organic/free range/Omega 3 enhanced eggs even having gone through the same process.

Here's how the house frau does it:

-Put eggs in pot covered in water with lid on
    -Medium heat
    -When rolling boil commences turn heat off
    -Let sit for 20 minutes
    -Pour off water and replace with cool water
    -Place eggs in bowl and into refrigerator (with a small amount of water)

Now why is it factory eggs peel fine and organic/free range/Omega 3 enhanced eggs don't?

How should we do it different so that the (good) eggs peel better?

806322.png
    Here's my perfect method, by calling it perfect, I'm not talking about me but about finding a method in a cookbook that has been perfect each and everytime I've done them.

Saucepan
    Eggs in the bottom, whatever amount you want so they touch but not overly crowded,
    Bring the pan with eggs to a boil.
    Put the lid on, remove from heat.
    Set timer for 15 minutes.
    When timer rings set the pan in the sink and begin running cold water in it and allowing the water to cool down the eggs, leave the water running over the eggs for a bit.

Here's a neat trick I learned. When you go to peel them, begin from the rounded end as it has an air pocket and it far easier to work with.

If the eggs are too fresh use older eggs, ones you've had in the fridge for week or so. Fresh eggs are yummy fried (healthy method) but not the best to hard boil as they are far too hard to peel.

Healthy organtic eggs are from well taken care of chickens, they will have harder shells than the penned up, jammed together chickens that never see the light of day, they have very fragile shells because of all this. This is because it's all about money money so they are given hormones, grown so big (you've SEEN those scary sized chicken breasts, right? lol) they can't lift their bodies to walk so they lay eggs right there on the spot, the chickens are HUGE and scary HUGE from all drugs given them so in return the eggs are very thin shelled and nearly see through in some spots.

Those shells seep water as you might have noticed when boiled and are sometimes a bit easier to peel because by the time we get them they are not fresh.

Ok, egg/hormone/organtic check lesson over.

Good luck with trying your method :):)

Becca:flowerforyou:

*Edited to fix horrible missing letters. LOL Also noticed by now looks like you have your answer to your egg peeling issue:drinker:
  • sergeant771
    Options
    The problem has been resolved by letting the eggs age (7-10 days) in the refrigerator before 'hardcooking' them. We've also added a spash of vinegar in the water. The eggs now peel easily/cleanly.