Why is it not going down?

Options
For the last 7 days my weight has just hung in a 1lb region and just won't go down despite eating around the calorie goal (within 50kc) and exercising by walking and cycling. My calories+exercise has been in the green all week and at 221lb, Im nowhere near my goal so can't be plateauing and have been regularly losing weight day-in day-out for the 2 weeks leading up to that. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Waht are you doing wrong? Expecting your body to do what you want, and expecting it to act the same day in and day out!

Bodies are jerks. They're unpredictable, obsinate and delight in frustrating us.

If you're eating at a deficit you will lose weight. You could be retaining fluid, the weather could have changed, you may have eaten more salt, you might need to poop. Also, if you've just started losing weight, we all lose faster in the start and then it slows down. Sad fact.

A week is not long enough to stress about! You're doing nothing wrong. Keep at it, and be patient. None of us put it on in a week, it's not all going to come off in one too.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    For the last 7 days my weight has just hung in a 1lb region and just won't go down despite eating around the calorie goal (within 50kc) and exercising by walking and cycling. My calories+exercise has been in the green all week and at 221lb, Im nowhere near my goal so can't be plateauing and have been regularly losing weight day-in day-out for the 2 weeks leading up to that. What am I doing wrong?
    Your diary is not open, so we can't give concrete advice.

Have you been weighting all solid food and measuring all liquids?

Have you changed your exercise by adding new caridio or lifting?

Did you eat anything that might have a lot of sodium? Restaurant food generally has a lot of sodium.
  • Indiri13
    Indiri13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The usual culprits to sudden gains or to a lack of loss when I'm at a deficit are usually water retention related: high sodium, a new kind of exercise, hormones, higher than usual carb intake, or dehydration.

It's also possible that you are just a stalls and whooshes kind of progress maker (I am) and if you keep it up you will see no changes for a while, followed by sudden drops at once.

A week isn't bad for a plateau so just give it some time.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You probably arent eating within your calorie goal by not recording properly. Your body wont just 'work' one week and then fancy a week off weight loss....
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    My guess (and it's only a guess) is that you are not weighing you food, and making eyeball estimates. You would be surprised how bad we are at eyeball estimation.