motivation?

Options
So this is my millionth attempt to shed some lbs... I could never get past 10lbs... I know your first couple lbs is water weight but I never get past that... Therefore I ALWAYS loose all sorts of motivation... I haven't weighed myself or measured myself in months with the fear to see no improvement which would discourage me in all ways to continue this attempt of weights loss. As a kid I was always "the fat girl" or "the chubby"one in class (I was 5'3 weighed about 155) which took my self esteem in the wrong direction... I used to not eat during school hours and pretty much binge when I got home from school . As I grew older I just stopped caring when or what I would eat. Which wasn't a good thing either (cause a good old 50extra lbs) to battle off!!! Now I've been trying to loose a couple pounds but nothing and I'm scared a Will give up again... I do kickboxing about 5-6 times aweek idk what I would do if that scale doesn't move downward.... Any help with this fear?

Replies

• SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Only you can reach deep inside and find the motivation you need to make this lifestyle change, and it is a lifestyle change, not a short term diet. Diets come to an end, you go back to eating whatever you want and regain everything lost. So take time to figure out what is YOUR reason for weight loss. What do you hope to achieve?

How about focusing on being healthy instead of being a certain number on the scale? Set different goals... I will be able to jog for 20 min by a certain date. I will fit into the next lower size pants by such and such date. Sign up for a 5k etc. Then figure out how you will achieve those goals.. logging your food and exercise everyday, giving up soda, walking an extra 30 min etc.

With all those things together, you now have a plan for achieving your goals. :smile: Know that the less you need to lose, the slower you will lose it. For someone needing to lose 100 lbs, it's not a big deal to lose 2-3 lbs a week. For someone with 20 lbs to lose, it may only be 0.5 lbs a week. Be patient!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Only you can reach deep inside and find the motivation you need to make this lifestyle change, and it is a lifestyle change, not a short term diet. Diets come to an end, you go back to eating whatever you want and regain everything lost. So take time to figure out what is YOUR reason for weight loss. What do you hope to achieve?

How about focusing on being healthy instead of being a certain number on the scale? Set different goals... I will be able to jog for 20 min by a certain date. I will fit into the next lower size pants by such and such date. Sign up for a 5k etc. Then figure out how you will achieve those goals.. logging your food and exercise everyday, giving up soda, walking an extra 30 min etc.

^ this is perfect /thread
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs motivation whether it is from yourself or from others. I think all of us here have been on the diet wheel for quite a while. This little gerbil is jumping of the wheel and is making a healthy lifestyle change finally. I think that if you just break it down into small goals like 5 lbs at a time or something like that then it will be so much easier. The trick is to reward yourself for each little milestone with something nice like a new book or pedicure, something special to you. That might give you the push you need to keep going. You have to like yourself no matter what size, shape or weight you are. I concentrate on making myself feel good and look good each day no matter what the scale shows.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well you are going to have to decide you really want this because it is not always an easy trip, but you CAN do it! Some things that have really helped me: I did MFP for 1.5 years before I finally decided to make some friend on here and it made a big difference for me. Wether it helps you to just have people who work out similar to you and you dont want to be that slacker who sat on the couch that day, or you need people to rant to, or you want a cheering squad, you can find it on here. Find exercise you like and get into it and start setting goals you can reach and you will feel good when you do, and it becomes addicting! I also do that with my weight and set small goals so I can feel awesome when I hit them along the way because my overall goal weight is far away and sometimes if feels like too far into the future to feel connected to right now. Lastly, dont be afraid to try new food and things because sometimes you will be amazed at what you like, and when you do find stuff you like that fits into you goals well use them alot! Its easier when you have a go to plan and are not just shooting in the dark every day.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You know I was always the fat kid, and it turned into me always being the biggest, tallest girl in my classes. When I hit university I was the smart fat girl, and people loved me. Because I was no longer judged on my weight and accepted for my brain I totally gave up Now 40 lbs heavier I balled when I stepped on the scale around Xmas.
    I have been doing pretty well on here, but in order to keep my cool I have not weighed myself. I am trying to think of it as getting healthier instead of losing weight, and tell through how my clothes fit.
    I am also finding that the community on here is helping in more way than one. Previously I was a tv snacker! In my down time I would stream a show and have a fast snack. So instead of doing tv, I come on here and see what is new. On top of that most of the time when I log on there is a kind message, or words of advice in my inbox. Add people, make friends, and be accountable to them. When I exercise I can hardly wait to enter it online to show everyone what I have done!
    Please feel free to add me, and anyone else on here that need the distraction email me and we will chat it out!