is my calorie goal too high for my weight?

Options
Hi all,

I'm a bigger lad at about 118kgs 6ft3, been losing weight recently, my original was 120kgs.

My question is I lead a fairly sedentary life, working at a computer and relaxing at home, the only real exercise I get is the 4 mile walking round trip I do each day.

My current goal is 1720 which I'm finding very manageable, but is it too high for real weight loss? I see people on here going for 1200kcal.

Any help and responses would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Matt

Replies

• Cjbiobaby
    Cjbiobaby Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i personally think the caloric allotment for me is too much. i believe as we lose and get better, that it corrects out caloric intake? i certainly hope so because i cant seem to make the whole caloric intake they allow here LOL
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I am 77kg 5'7" and losing consistently at 1650 calories daily. 1200 is the lowest anyone should go and not recommended for anyone besides petite women. If you eat less than that you get a warning about the dangers of undereating. Starving yourself is no way to live. Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm a bigger lad at about 118kgs 6ft3, been losing weight recently, my original was 120kgs.

My question is I lead a fairly sedentary life, working at a computer and relaxing at home, the only real exercise I get is the 4 mile walking round trip I do each day.

My current goal is 1720 which I'm finding very manageable, but is it too high for real weight loss? I see people on here going for 1200kcal.

Regards,
    Matt
    1200 is only suitable for very old very short old ladies with not a ton to drop unless it's been advised by a doctor, definetely not for a man but then talk to your doc is you think this could be what you need. Pretty sure it's a no.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I am 77kg 5'7" and losing consistently at 1650 calories daily. 1200 is the lowest anyone should go and not recommended for anyone besides petite women. If you eat less than that you get a warning about the dangers of undereating. Starving yourself is no way to live. Good luck!

^^^^^This.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've put your stats into Scoobys calculator. ( http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ )

Your maintenance calories (TDEE) are 2958 if I enter you as sedentary. Therefore if you eat below this figure you will lose weight. You could be eating much more than 1720 and still lose weight.
  • Hybrice
    Hybrice Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Brilliant, that's what I needed to know thank you very much all. I'll carry on as I am then. :)

Glad that's the case, I'd never pull off 1200!!

Matt
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    you are way to low

your age - 25
    height - 6'3''
    weight - 118kg

Your BMR is: 2252 - this is what you need when you sleep
    Your TDEE is: 2703 - this is what you need with your sedentary life

but.... to get to a normal range weight base on your height. a good healthy weight will be 85ish kg.

at 85 kg (ultimate goal weight im guessing with a sedentary lifestyle )

you need

Your BMR is: 1934
    Your TDEE is: 2321

eating below your BMR will have a counter effect. eat on a deficit base on your TDEE.
    A large calorie deficit and for some, too much exercise can actual hinder weight loss, not improve it.
  • Hybrice
    Options
    Again thanks for your responses guys.

Very interesting that apparently its too low! Most days I don't even manage reaching my goal calories once my walking commute is added to exercise! Should I be eating more or more often or both?
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Regards,
    Matt
    1200 is only suitable for very old very short old ladies with not a ton to drop unless it's been advised by a doctor, definetely not for a man but then talk to your doc is you think this could be what you need. Pretty sure it's a no.

I agree. I'm only 165cm and my goal was 1200.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options

Very interesting that apparently its too low! Most days I don't even manage reaching my goal calories once my walking commute is added to exercise! Should I be eating more or more often or both?

Don't worry, I think it's fine for a man. If you can reach your calorie goal, maybe try with foods more rich of calories? Nuts, Avocado, Peanut or any Nut butter, full fat dairy
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    you definitely have the height advantage, enabling you to eat more calories and loose weight . I am apparently a very short, very old lady, as I am on 1200cal. haha
  • Hybrice
    Options
    Well good look to you! I fear I could inhale 1200Kcal...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Men at a minimum should be at 1800 calories. I eat 1600 easy..my diary is open.

You based on your stats should be eating about 2300 calories a day (TDEE=2958-20%=2300)

As for how to get all those calories in??? really? my breakfast yesterdy was 6oz steak, 2 eggs, warmed up potatoes and a big glass of milk (skim) with coffee that had cream...862 calories...switch out the skim for full fat milk, add in an egg, some toast with butter and 8oz steak instead of 6oz you could be at 1200 if not more...

Getting calories in is easy just eat food, full fat food. Have some ice cream in the evening, drink some juice, gosh have a beer and pizza if you want you can afford it.

My son is about your height about 40lbs lighter and trust me he can get his calories in no issues...he eats all the food.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you do that walk every day, set your activity level to lightly active and don't count it as exercise.

A chap of your age and build would still lose comfortably eating 2000 a day, no problem.
  • barby001
    barby001 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i'm 26yrs old weighing 73kg. my max calories a day is btw 700 and 1100. i desperately need to lose some weight like 10kg, like i was before.Is 700 -1100 calories okay for me, i sit down for approx. 8hrs in the office and very exhausted when i get home. What can i do to remain healthy. Thanks
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, i'm 26yrs old weighing 73kg. my max calories a day is btw 700 and 1100. i desperately need to lose some weight like 10kg, like i was before.Is 700 -1100 calories okay for me, i sit down for approx. 8hrs in the office and very exhausted when i get home. What can i do to remain healthy. Thanks

You could be eating about 1400 calories a day and still lose weight, without exercise.

As for being exhausted when you get home? why you sit all day? Exercise gives you energy.

700-1100 calories is too low. Losing 10kg should take about 25 weeks if done in a healthy manner.
  • Hybrice
    Options

Men at a minimum should be at 1800 calories. I eat 1600 easy..my diary is open.

You based on your stats should be eating about 2300 calories a day (TDEE=2958-20%=2300)

As for how to get all those calories in??? really? my breakfast yesterdy was 6oz steak, 2 eggs, warmed up potatoes and a big glass of milk (skim) with coffee that had cream...862 calories...switch out the skim for full fat milk, add in an egg, some toast with butter and 8oz steak instead of 6oz you could be at 1200 if not more...

Getting calories in is easy just eat food, full fat food. Have some ice cream in the evening, drink some juice, gosh have a beer and pizza if you want you can afford it.

My son is about your height about 40lbs lighter and trust me he can get his calories in no issues...he eats all the food.

Hi There!

Thanks for your eloquent response.

Firstly, my issue isn't getting the calories, if I wanted to hit 2000 I could sit and chow down on a fatty burger etc, I'm trying to change my diet completely, for the better, permanently. At the same time I do need to lose weight.

I'm managing 1720 just fine currently, even to the point I thought my goal may be a little too high. Everyone has confirmed this not the case and I should be getting 2k+, but if I'm managing 1720, why increase it, I would ask? I do still feel hungry a lot of the time, given that I only have 3 meals a day, but it's very manageable (aside from the occasional massive craving). I think any lower would be too difficult and any higher wouldn't feel like I'm dieting at all and act only to slow my progress.
  • Hybrice
    Options
    If you do that walk every day, set your activity level to lightly active and don't count it as exercise.

A chap of your age and build would still lose comfortably eating 2000 a day, no problem.

*sorry for double post*

very good observation but lightly active wouldn't be an accurate reading of my calorie usage. Setting myself as completely sedentary then tracking my walks via runkeeper allows a much more accurate calorie offset I find, that's the only reason I do it.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    I did some calculations and your BMR is 2465.... your TDEE is 2958... you should be eating between 2366 and 2465 for weight loss.

good luck to you!