free weight section conquered by a warrior goddess!!!

Options
Well today I did my first dead lift. I am somewhat used to playing at the edge of the free weight section at the gym, near the dumbells :). I have always been intimidated by the guys shouting and throwing down their weights, grunting and roaring occasionally... (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

But today I walked past the dumbells. I went to the benches and racks and swallowed my discomfort as I waited for my turn at one of them. I looked the doushy fellas hangin out at the deadlift platform right in the eye as they shot me their "what are you looking at" glares... And when I found a free bar to lift, I lifted it with excellent form. RAWR!!! (Inward roar... I wouldn't do that out loud at the gym).

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    good for you.

deadlifts are pretty awesome.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Well done for trying out barbells and getting over your intimidation. Deadlifts are my favorite lifts.

I would however suggest that you not assume that the guys hanging around the deadlift platform are douches (unless they actually act like douches to you). They may just have given you an odd look as you were staring at them. A lot of the guys that lift in the free weights section are actually really nice.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Well done for trying out barbells and getting over your intimidation. Deadlifts are my favorite lifts.

I would however suggest that you not assume that the guys hanging around the deadlift platform are douches (unless they actually act like douches to you). They may just have given you an odd look as you were staring at them. A lot of the guys that lift in the free weights section are actually really nice.
    QFT^ Compound lifts are awesome, especially Deadlifts, but yeah it is best not to make assumptions about what people are thinking.

Sometimes peoples lifting faces are like people's "O" faces...not really representative of what they are actually thinking, feeling etc.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Congratz on going in the weight area.

When I first walked into the weights area in my new gym, I did get asked what I thought I was doing in there but knew this was in jest and told them to get use to it, we had a little banter and it was all good... the majority of the guys say hi or nod when I go in and are really helpful... but them again I don't walk into the gym thinking they are a bunch of douches just for actually being there.. and most likely they'll be stood around to rest between sets and the hanging out is most likely they spotting each other.

I also noticed that yes they do watch me but they also watch others, just like I watch them and others.
  • roids001
    roids001 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Having a healthy amount of confidence is great, but deeming others as "douches" is rather speculative. Perhaps a smile or a hello may break the ice in the future and create an environment that is more comfortable once you get familiar with the faces.
  • Arne_becomesxXx
    Arne_becomesxXx Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    You´ll see, that at your second or third try you pass the line you´ll even get a "Hello!" from this guys :)

Then you´re assimilated into the lifters section.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options

Well said.

I used to think the same thing, but once I got over myself, I found that those are truly some of the nicest, most helpful guys in the gym. I love being the girl who gets to work out with all the hot men, gets the fist bump when I show up, gets to play on the boyz half of the playground. They give respect because I work hard, just as I respect the hard work it took them to build that body. It doesn't get any better than that.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

QFT