need inspiration for a filling tea for tonight

Options
need inspiration for a filling tea tonight, anyone got some low cal recipe that will blow my diet mind:-D

Replies

• nursekirsty
    nursekirsty Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Following for inspiration x
  • cazzahi
    cazzahi Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i think it only us here today nursekirsty
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    filling tea? the beverage???:noway:
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    ... I don't think tea is very filling. Good luck though! :)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    take lots of veg of any kind (pepper, carrots, parsnips, courgette, broccoli, asparagus) cut into similar siyed chuncks, take some cooking spray and put it on an oven tray. Arrange your veg and roast on 200 degrees celsius for about 40 30-40 min. --> about 150 cals for a massive portion depending on the sort of veg

Make a side of protein, chickenbreast or tofu or seitan depending on dietary requirements
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

:laugh: this is kind of what crossed my mind too :laugh: - OP maybe if you enlightened those of us not from wherever are the places that have "tea," we could be of more assistance! I've only ever had "tea" as a special occasion to get dressed up and go out with the ladies to some tea house where we'd eat like finger sandwiches and desserts and stuff. I have no frame of reference for what I think you might be talking about!
  • Phrick
    Options

:laugh: this is kind of what crossed my mind too :laugh: - OP maybe if you enlightened those of us not from wherever are the places that have "tea," we could be of more assistance! I've only ever had "tea" as a special occasion to get dressed up and go out with the ladies to some tea house where we'd eat like finger sandwiches and desserts and stuff. I have no frame of reference for what I think you might be talking about!

That sounds so snotty. I'm sorry I didn't mean to come off like that at all! I am genuinely both clueless and curious!
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    my diary is open, please feel free to get any ideas, i mostly eat quorn, chicken, fish? tonight is omlette night.
  • stacey740
    Options
    I have been having a chicken breast, mushrooms, peppers, a hand full of salad (sprinkled abit of feta cheese on it and a poached egg, only comes to about 400 calories and it does the job!
    I also want something sweet after so try frozen grapes - sounds odd but trust me, its really nice and helps the craving!
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    Tea in the UK means Dinner.
  • Phrick
    Options

Thanks! Do you also have Supper - so then "Tea" would be a lighter meal somewhere between lunch and supper? Or are the terms "dinner" and "supper" interchangeable like here in the US a lot of the time?
  • lmd_1979
    Options

Thanks! Do you also have Supper - so then "Tea" would be a lighter meal somewhere between lunch and supper? Or are the terms "dinner" and "supper" interchangeable like here in the US a lot of the time?

Tea is a main meal like Breakfast and Lunch but some people here call Lunch "Dinner", lol Supper is after tea in the evening and is usually something light like Toast etc.
  • rosieb2014
    Options
    depends whats in your cupboard or are you going out to seek new foods :) my favourite craving at the moment is either a waitrose or m&S spinach and ricotta canelloni (and waitrose have 1/3 off at the mo on healthy ready meals) with a spinach and rocket salad, with a good dollop of balsamic vinegar.

Or poached eggs on toast :) or a tomato and ham omlette with red onion... :)
  • theonly1iknow
    theonly1iknow Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Tea is interchangeable with dinner in parts of the uk, and dinner sometimes interchangeable with lunch! (Was there not an advert in the uk a year or so ago - "I have the right to call my lunch my dinner, and my dinner my tea"!)
    The OP obvs. means evening meal.
    As to the question... What about marinating some sliced chicken breasts in ginger, soy, chilli etc and having a big stir fry, plenty of veg. Yum!
    Or make a chilli, or bolognaise. These are my go-to dishes if I'm wanting something tasty, comforting and easy.
  • louiseoxford
    louiseoxford Posts: 44 Member
    Options

People across the UK call it different things, this is usually due to where they live! My mum and dad are from Yorkshire (up north) and always used to call it tea yet we lived in the South where people called it dinner or supper! I guess it is quite confusing as tea is obviously also the drink.

Anyway!

Some of the ladies on here the other night suggested fajitas (just less cheese/sour cream etc.) OR pitta breads filled with salad, chicken (or similar) and taztiki.

I am a massive fan of salmon fillets so am having one roasted with peppers and courgettes and served with brown rice, spinach (with a Chinese style sauce). They are also good with lemon cous cous or roasted pesto vegetables or with noodles and stir fry veggies.
  • lmd_1979
    Options

People across the UK call it different things, this is usually due to where they live! My mum and dad are from Yorkshire (up north) and always used to call it tea yet we lived in the South where people called it dinner or supper! I guess it is quite confusing as tea is obviously also the drink.

Anyway!

Some of the ladies on here the other night suggested fajitas (just less cheese/sour cream etc.) OR pitta breads filled with salad, chicken (or similar) and taztiki.

I am a massive fan of salmon fillets so am having one roasted with peppers and courgettes and served with brown rice, spinach (with a Chinese style sauce). They are also good with lemon cous cous or roasted pesto vegetables or with noodles and stir fry veggies.

Well I call Lunch "Dinner" as well, but Supper is a bit outdated now at least for me. I remember when I was young in the 80's we used to have "Supper" usually Toast sometimes Cereal.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options

All those words are used in the UK, depending on region and class.

E.g. I used to have lunch with a girl from a working-class background to whom the meal at mid-day was dinner and the evening meal was tea. That would then be "high tea", the evening meal of the working classes, who used to have their main meal at mid-day.

There's a difference to "afternoon tea" which is tea with small sandwiches, cakes etc

I've also stayed with friends who used the words lunch and dinner.
    I don't think anybody in my group of people uses the word supper. It originally was used to describe a lighter meal later in the evening.
  • raindropsswim
    Options
    tea is dinner in the UK well, thank you so much for letting us know...i thougt we were supposed to have only tea for dinner! phew!!!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Wraps with shrimp or chicken and lots of veggies should be nice and light and still have plenty of protein to tide you over.