Sugar withdrawals

Options

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Sugar is toxic and of no value nutrition wise. Once you avoid fast processing carbs and sugar and keep your blood sugar normal you will not crave it anymore. Good nutrition is crucial, however, and has a lot to do with cravings too.Your body cries for sugar because it is the fastest way for it to get fuel (glucose.) If any nutrients are missing (especially micro nutrients) you will continue to crave until your body receives nourishment. Please don't switch to artificial sugar as a substitute! This will trick your body into thinking it is receiving fuel, and when it doesn't get the real deal it will make you crave sugar all day long.

I'm curious how much sugar the replacement foods (don't want to promote the name) in your diary contain. If sugar is toxic - are you still eating it?

Please, if you want to give your opinion, that's fine. But scaring people with words like "toxic", "bodies crying for sugar", etc. is at very minimum misleading.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar also leeches vitamins and nutrients from your body so look at it like a parasite. and yes it is as addictive as crack that is nhs information

lol no …

this is so ridiculous that I am not even going to engage you on it...
  • mamafairey
    mamafairey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    no dont cut it out completely that would be poop. just dont have excess or give in to every craving. there is sugar in just about everything these days so you cant give it up completely.
    The link i copied and pasted from was from a book called the clean and lean diet.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    no dont cut it out completely that would be poop. just dont have excess or give in to every craving. there is sugar in just about everything these days so you cant give it up completely.
    The link i copied and pasted from was from a book called the clean and lean diet.

so sugar is toxic, but it is OK to consume it…?

that is like posting a warning at a lake that the water is contaminated but it is OK to swim….
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Sugar also leeches vitamins and nutrients from your body so look at it like a parasite. and yes it is as addictive as crack that is nhs information

lol no …

this is so ridiculous that I am not even going to engage you on it...

She's either trying to troll or beyond saving
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Is it ridiculous because you don't believe it or don't want to believe it?
  • judylutz
    Options
    Thanks - it's a long article, it may be a bit before I can respond. :)
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Quitting sugar is like quitting smoking in the sense that the "addiction" is twofold. There is the craving your body has to fulfill energy demands and maintain blood sugar levels, and there's the craving your mouth and brain have to fulfill the hedonistic desire and comfort that sweet foods provide. Although these two things are somewhat linked biologically, overcoming them has to be attacked differently. Eating fruit, artificial sweeteners, dark chocolate, etc. can and will help reduce your bodies needs for simple carbohydrates over time by reducing your spikes in insulin and blood sugar levels, but it will not allow you to overcome the "habit". It's kind of like the nicotine patch or those vapor cigarettes. Your only solving half the problem. I see alot of people say they're eliminating sugar only to pound fruit, or diet coke, or frozen bananas with peanut butter. That's not really getting to the heart of the issue which is that the goal is to create a lifestyle where sweet flavors are not part of your everyday diet. Just because fruit is natural does not mean it's healthy. Bacon is natural too. Yes, fruit has vitamins, but you can get those through vegetables and without the calories and blood sugar spike and without cultivating one's dependence..

I'm not being argumentative here - truly - I'm just wondering if you know: Which vegetables can replace the nutrients in an orange, grapes, papaya, or blueberries? Is there a website you can direct me to? Thanks.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    How does protein cause insulin spike? I don't understand...

We know.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Dailymail.co.uk/femail - the UK's version of The Onion (I wish).
  • judylutz
    Options
    "Insulin doesn’t just regulate blood sugar. It has other effects as well. For example, it stimulates your muscles to build new protein (a process called protein synthesis). It also inhibits lipolysis (the breakdown of fat) and stimulates lipogenesis (the creation of fat)."

So far, I totally agree. When your blood sugar is high, insulin's job is to use that sugar up as fast as possible. Your body will not break down fat when your insulin is high. Sugar is used to build glycogen, which is stored in your muscles and liver for immediate energy.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I think removing as much processed, refined sugar from our diets can only improve our health and I for one am going to give it a go. Removing natural sugars fron our diets must be virtuly impossible there wouldn't be much left to eat if we tried that.
  • judylutz
    Options
    "It should be remembered why glucagon is released in response to protein in the first place. Since protein stimulates insulin secretion, it would cause a rapid drop in blood glucose if no carbohydrate is consumed with the protein. Glucagon prevents this rapid drop in blood sugar by stimulating the liver to produce glucose."

Ok, so I also agree with the above - I learned something new about protein stimulating insulin, that's interesting. Trying to process...
  • desspec
    desspec Posts: 1
    Options
    How does protein cause insulin spike? I don't understand...
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

read that...

That weightology link - that's a study? I read through it, it looks more like an analysis and interpretation of other studies. Regardless, honest question: do you know of studies which show glycemic/insulin responses to protein which hasn't been paired with carbohydrates or fat? It would be interesting to see if this guys conclusion about protein held true when it was measured by itself.

The study he cited from '09/'10 was interesting. Described by it's authors as containing "Measures of postprandial wellness after single intake of two protein-carbohydrate meals. ... Subjective reports on satiety and postprandial wellness (pleasantness, satisfaction, relaxation, sleepiness, physical energy and mental alertness) were established using visual analogue scales at regular time points after consumption of the breakfasts up to 240 min."

Studies which are specifically controlling for the glycemic/insulin response to proteins and carbohydrates might also be interesting on this topic.

Thanks for the references.
  • judylutz
    Options
    " One problem with refined carbohydrate is a problem of energy density. With refined carbohydrate, it is easier to pack a lot of calories into a small package. Not only that, but foods with high energy density are often not as satiating as foods with low energy density. "

By energy density does he mean calories? Calories come from protein, fat and carbs. Protein and fat take longer to digest, and therefore are more satiating. It's not about the calories, its about the content. Do you agree?
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
  • ndj1979
    Options
    " One problem with refined carbohydrate is a problem of energy density. With refined carbohydrate, it is easier to pack a lot of calories into a small package. Not only that, but foods with high energy density are often not as satiating as foods with low energy density. "

By energy density does he mean calories? Calories come from protein, fat and carbs. Protein and fat take longer to digest, and therefore are more satiating. It's not about the calories, its about the content. Do you agree?

I do not agree. It is about calories in vs calories out ….

yes, certain foods are more nutritious for you then others. But at the end of the day it boils down to calorie deficit and calories in vs calories out ….

If we are talking about body recomp/adding muscle then yes, adherence to macros is important and one should make sure that you are hitting macro targets….
  • ndj1979
    Options

from the plosone article

"Here we report that when rats were allowed to choose mutually-exclusively between water sweetened with saccharin–an intense calorie-free sweetener–and intravenous cocaine–a highly addictive and harmful substance–the large majority of animals (94%) preferred the sweet taste of saccharin."

so the rats went for what tasted better?

Also, if the cocaine was given intravenously how did they choose between the water and the intravenous injection? It is not like they can ask …

It would seem to make more sense to have cocaine in water and sweetener in water and see what they went for….no?