Well I blew it!!

Options
2»

Replies

• hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I am so mad at myself. Being new to Insulin 2 months in I caved tonight. My number haven't been in double digits for the last 2 weeks but tonight...sigh, I slipped and I ate a bowl of raisin bran. I was craving it so bad lol. My sugars went up but nothing dangerous. I feel so guilty now, grrrrr. Vent over.

Guilty over raisin bran? hmm ok good luck

Guilty over an insulin spike, it's different than being guilty over calories.
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    When I had gestation diabetes a simple glass of skim milk could send my numbers flying. I totally get it. It can be so frustrating!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Yes, it may some trivial to some but when you have been working your butt off and overwhelmed with info on diabetes all at once, it is a big deal. I let myself down. Maybe this isn't the place for me.

It's not trivial, but the point people are trying to make is that it's also not such a big deal that you "blew it". Just get back on track tomorrow & consider this a lesson learned. If Raisin Bran is a big favorite figure a way to make it work - smaller portions every once in awhile, see if you can plan your day around it in advance so that your #'s end up OK, etc. but stop beating yourself up over it. This whole process here (whether it's for weight loss, body re-composition, health reasons, etc.) is a very fluid process where trial & error rules the way. This probably won't be the last "error" in the process, Heaven knows I'm still making mine, but as long as you take something from it then it's a success in that you've learned something.........
  • Kyttiara
    Kyttiara Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    High sugar is going to happen, especially when you are still learning your insulin routine. My fiancée is a type 1 as well, and I can tell you from experience, LOW sugar is way worse. Blurry vision, inability to speak, spasms, seizures and possibly a coma. You've only been on insulin for 2 months, you'll get this!

You said in one of your replies that you can't have potatoes anymore...why is that? You should be able to eat it as long as you aren't binging on it, and the rest of your meal is healthy. Unless there is something else going on?
  • twistedbutterfly
    twistedbutterfly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Something Jillian Michaels has said has stuck with me and helped me when I've had times where I had waaaay more than I intended: if you are driving along a highway and your car gets a flat, you wouldn't get out of the car and flatten the other three tires. You'd get out, change the tire and go back on your way. Her statement may seem corny, but it's helped me stay on track more than once when I thought that I'd really messed up so why bother.

Please don't beat yourself up. Or think that you've messed up too badly to get back on track. We all have days like that and it really is tomorrow (and the days after that) that will matter in the long run.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing really well. I'd just encourage you not to take an all-or-nothing stance. I've known a few diabetics who are either all on or all off on their eating and that's not a good thing.

Now you know the effect of a big bowl of raisin bran will have on your blood sugar - knowledge is power! Find ways to incorporate favorites like cereal into your eating plan in a way that won't negatively impact your blood sugar so much, so you will feel in control whenever you CHOOSE to have raisin bran.

You deserve kudos for taking control of your health and taking your diabetes seriously. ((hugs)) to you.

I think you've taken yourself off of potatoes and white bread because they cause spikes in your blood sugar right? I've been doing the same. I'm prediabetic and trying to avoid getting diabetes if I can, and have had to cut out almost all processed grains and potatoes and rice, but I do allow myself a weekly treat-usually a sandwich on rieska bread or risotto.

It's all about finding a balance you can live with, and I'm sure you will :)
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Diabetes sucks because fruit is even on the bad list. I think you just need to remember moderation when it comes to it. I would love to tell patients this: go to a nursing home and see what happens if you don't control your sugars. Amputation is no joke. I doubt you are that bad if your sugars are rarely triple digits.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm leaving room for various slip-ups in that I choose to recommit every day. That way the "burden" of lifestyle change is spread out over all my days and statistically I'm bound to slip up once in a while since I'm by no means perfect, but it's been baked into the package deal, so no biggie. Expect them and plan for some small indulgences so that the large binges might not even happen.
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    I'm a type 2, insulin-resistant diabetic. My slip-up's result in 200s. I have been eating crappy the last few days and have hit 258 two hours post-meal. It happens. Just got to move on. Exercise helps a lot too to lower, and water, so go out and be active after that.

After three weeks of being busy and not going to the gym, I went this morning, then went home and proceeded to eat a bowl of half Kix and half Cheerios. Then a bowl of Corn Pops. See? Life happens, then you just move on and better yourself.

My diabetes educator told me she wishes all of her patients only had diabetes, because unlike cancer and other diseases, you CAN control it and "take the seat", as they say. You'll be okay :)
  • jennyfuller52
    jennyfuller52 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I understand where you're coming from because controllong your sugar levels is different from trying to lose weight. One day with high sugar levels isn't bad. It's when your levels stay high long term. That's when damage can be caused. This was a blip not a lifestyle. Lesson learnt. Research the kind of foods which satisfy your cravings without sending your sugar levels sky high and keep some in the house or with you so that you're prepared. :happy:
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Yes, it may some trivial to some but when you have been working your butt off and overwhelmed with info on diabetes all at once, it is a big deal. I let myself down. Maybe this isn't the place for me.

Please don't let negative responses on the forums get you down. There are some people on MFP who spend a lot of time making fun of posters, and being sarcastic and rude, but it's still a good place to be for support. Good luck with your weight loss journey :)

I see very little of this. What I do see are a ton of people who have been there, done that, and know it isn't a big deal. These people try to tell new people that it isn't a big deal, and people who have been here for a slightly longer time think the others are being rude. OP, no one is being rude, we just know that in th long grind of losing a lot of weight, one bowl of raisin bran is literally nothing. You didn't blow anything, you ate a little too much cereal. Move on, refocus and have a better day tomorrow. And OP, your experience here will be a lot better if pay more attention to people who ave been here longer AND who have been successful. Everyone has an opinion, not everyone has been successful. Now forget yesterday and have a good today.