1800 burned per day - are we sure?

Options
2»

Replies

• flab2fit_30
    Options
    ok, what are your stats? height weight age?

your definitely not eating enough, but your stats will help us tell you what you should be eating.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I went to the site, and it said 1817 for maintenance and ca. 1363 for weight loss for me.

But I've been under 1300 for two weeks, and I've gained...

have you been weighing all solid foods and measuring liquids?

If not you are probably eating 10-50% more than you think you are of some items
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I can EASILY see things that you're most likely overestimating on. Cheese slices, fruit, vegetables, meat, chips, etc. Even if things come prepackaged, they can still contain more than 1 serving (or however many is listed on the package).

So yeah, in my opinion, you're eating more than you think. Consider buying a food scale.

Thanks, can you give me some examples?
    For meat, they come as a steak or as a burger, so I search it up on the database. Same for one egg, one tomato or five cherry tomatoes. The cheese slices come pre-sliced. I always double check with what it says on the package in case the database is wrong. I also look up one banana, one orange etc.

1 tomato can weigh 50 grams or 110 grams. Banana can weigh 80 grams or 210 grams. These are not too calorific but make the mistake with something more calorie dense (nuts, meat, avocado, anything of substance) and you are off by hundreds of calories per day.

So yes, buy a $20 food scale on amazon and start weighing. Try using the entries in the diary that have USDA in the title, I find them more reliable, as a lot of the calories is user input.

Please take a pregnancy test, too, if you are 2 weeks late.

Before changing your calories, make sure you are tracking as accurate as possible.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and I can EASILY see things that you're most likely overestimating on. Cheese slices, fruit, vegetables, meat, chips, etc. Even if things come prepackaged, they can still contain more than 1 serving (or however many is listed on the package).

So yeah, in my opinion, you're eating more than you think. Consider buying a food scale.

For meat, they come as a steak or as a burger, so I search it up on the database. Same for one egg, one tomato or five cherry tomatoes. The cheese slices come pre-sliced. I always double check with what it says on the package in case the database is wrong. I also look up one banana, one orange etc.

weigh it
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

your definitely not eating enough, but your stats will help us tell you what you should be eating.

5"9, 150 lbs, 23 yrs. Normal weight before Christmas 132 lbs so not looking to lose that much.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

All fruit varies greatly in size. You can say a clementine is small or a banana is large, but it means squat. A small clementine can weigh more than it looks. You think it's small so it can't be alot of calories, but that 35 calories can easily be 50 or 60. Same with a banana. This morning the banana I had with breakfast was 125g, so 111 calories. A couple weeks ago I had bananas that were closer to 99g, so they were less calories... but I can't actually tell the difference in size between them. They looked exactly the same.

Cheese does come presliced, but no slice is exactly the same. One slice can be 5g more than another, who knows. Cheese is more caloric dense, so those grams can easily add up. 28g of cheese can be around 100-110 calories (depending on the kind). So say you have 2 slices of cheese, and one weighs 5g more than the serving size listed on the package... that means instead of 110 calories, you're eating almost 20 calories more than you thought.

Meat is also a big one. For example, ham steaks. Those ham steaks, although packaged as a single steak can easily have 3 servings. I have some in my fridge where a serving size is like 3 oz. There's actually about 2.5 servings from that ONE single steak. So that 110 calories turns into 275 calories.

Same thing for everything else listed. It's all about the weight/grams per serving. They add up.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Buy a food scale and weigh everything.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options

5"9, 150 lbs, 23 yrs. Normal weight before Christmas 132 lbs so not looking to lose that much.

ok so even at a sedentary lifestyle (no exercise at all) you should be eating at least 1500 calories. so thats first.

secondly, you definitely need to purchase a food scale- looking at your food diary, im almost positive you are eating way more than you think you are- even well over 1500... and your sodium is really high. when eat too much sodium on top of drinking very little water (you dont have it logged so i dont know what you really drink) your body holds the water weight that sodium causes... thus you are gaining weight.

hope this help.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I will get a food scale... in the meantime (for today) I'll put everything in slightly higher, i.e. small tomato as a medium, medium banana as a large, to remain safe.

I drink quite a bit of water, it's just a hassle noting it down all the time since I drink many times during the day.