cutting priorities

Options
At the end of the day, I am sometimes at my calorie goal, but significantly short on protein (shoot for 1 gram per pound bodyweight). When this happens, in the context of a cutting period (not just general weight loss), is it preferable to keep calories down, or add a few hundred and boost the protein to maintain muscle (a few hard boiled eggs, whey shake, etc)?

I don't have much room to play with, which is why the numbers can get a bit dicey ...

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, I am sometimes at my calorie goal, but short on protein (shoot for 1 gram per pound bodyweight). When this happens, in the context of a cutting period (not just general weight loss), is it preferable to keep calories down, or add a few hundred and boost the protein to maintain muscle (a few hard boiled eggs, whey shake, etc)?

I don't have much room to play with, which is why the numbers can get a bit dicey ...

Thanks!

you dont need 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight, so i wouldnt worry if you dont quite hit your goal.

that being said, plan your day out in advance so that you know you're on target, that way you can swap stuff around if it doesnt fit your macros instead of trying to shoehorn stuff in at the end of the day.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I'd also suggest planning your day so that you know you're hitting your macros how you want to, to suit whatever goal you have
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The numbers on MFP are recommended daily allowances, not necessarily what you need. You arent going to have a protein deficiency if you average 75% of your protein. As long as you are getting some kind of healthy percentage then it doesnt matter.

Calories comparison is the only real goal. However, if you are worried about the extra calories, why not do a bit of light exercise and then have another snack?
  • smand2000
    Options
    To be clear, I am talking in the context of a weight training cutting cycle, not just generalized weight loss. Planning out in advance is ideal, but obviously not always successful. I have only 1600 or so calories as a goal (often go over by a couple hundred, but I'm ok with that, especially in lifting days), and 145 grams protein, so it is a fairly narrow window ...

I guess I am asking, is the calorie goal more important than the protein goal for cutting, or should I rather sacrifice some calories for upping protein? Fire away!

And thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    To be clear, I am talking in the context of a weight training cutting cycle, not just generalized weight loss. Planning out in advance is ideal, but obviously not always successful. I have only 1600 or so calories as a goal (often go over by a couple hundred, but I'm ok with that, especially in lifting days), and 145 grams protein, so it is a fairly narrow window ...

I guess I am asking, is the calorie goal more important than the protein goal for cutting, or should I rather sacrifice some calories for upping protein? Fire away!

And thanks!

my comment still stands in the context of a weight training cutting cycle....

what are your stats if you dont mind me asking?
  • smand2000
    Options
    5'5, 145 lbs, uncertain bf % sadly ...
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    5'5, 145 lbs, uncertain bf % sadly ...

how much are you trying to lose?
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options

And thanks!

If you are cutting, the most important element would be diet, mainly the amount of calories you consume. You body does not need 1gram per lb of body weight. That being said, given your example above, I would recommend staying below your calories and being low on the protein intake. It can be hard, but I would recommend, as many others have, try to plan ahead. Personally, I try to eat my carbs in the first half of the day, and protein for the second half of the day as much as possible. Usually after I leave work at 1600, all I'll eat is thing like chicken, eggs, isolated whey, beej jerkey etc. Anything low in fat and carbs but high in protein.
  • smand2000
    Options
    Would like to drop 10 before I start another bulk.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Would like to drop 10 before I start another bulk.

thats pretty small for a guy? i say that because i am 5ft5 and 135lbs.

i would aim to lose 0.5lbs per week.. that way your lifting shouldnt be affected too much by your cut, but i am presuming 1600 is for 1lb per week? as someone else has said, at the en dof the day, if you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.