Spin Class question

Options
I just took a spin class for the first time last night, and I loved it! The only issue is my feet, they were incredibly sore while I was biking (after it was over I was fine). There's no way I want plantar facitis (sp?), so I was wondering if someone out there could recommend a good type of shoe to wear. Something other than the spin clip shoes.

Right now I currently wear these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14623184949519069105?q=new+balance&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.59378465,d.cWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.ob7ly0us8QQ.O&biw=1211&bih=449&tch=3&ech=13&psi=G5DWUv2DHOrksAT7k4LoAQ.1389793307718.1&wrapid=tlif138979330771810&sa=X&ei=pZDWUrWcKMO0sASrvoGwCw&ved=0CBkQ1x0

Thank you in advance!!

Replies

• GoSpleenGo
    Options
    I'd say try a trainer with a firmer or thicker sole for spin classes. I find that my feet can take quite a pounding but my current trainers seem to cope fine.

I wear ones similar to these: http://www.asics.co.uk/Shop/Women/GT-1000/p/0010127290.9023.

They were bought in a sale over a year ago and seem to be holding up well.

It might be worth asking your instructor to check that you're set up in the right position on the bike. Also, check the straps on your feet are secure enough to keep your feet immobile but not too tight across the bridge of your foot.

Hope this helps!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    My guess is that your technique is off which is why your feet are hurting.

Honestly clip in bike shoes are the bomb. Before I got mine I used regular trainers with my feet in the straps and I didn't feel secure no matter how much I strapped my foot in. Once I got the bike shoes it was so much better. Not only that but I could feel the workout more and could tell when I was pedaling incorrectly.

I wouldn't completely write off clip-in shoes.
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have Plantar Fasciitis and I'm using Spin as a recovery exercise as its actually low impact.

I would say its the set up of the bike. Ask the instructor to make sure you have the saddle and handlebars in the right position. I just wear regular Nike trainers.
  • bago08
    bago08 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you might be using too much toe.
    I find if you keep your heels to the floor its a lot easier of the feet. That way all the weight isnt resting on your toes pushed against the clips.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I just took a spin class for the first time last night, and I loved it! The only issue is my feet, they were incredibly sore while I was biking (after it was over I was fine). There's no way I want plantar facitis (sp?), so I was wondering if someone out there could recommend a good type of shoe to wear. Something other than the spin clip shoes.

Right now I currently wear these:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/14623184949519069105?q=new+balance&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.59378465,d.cWc,pv.xjs.s.en_US.ob7ly0us8QQ.O&biw=1211&bih=449&tch=3&ech=13&psi=G5DWUv2DHOrksAT7k4LoAQ.1389793307718.1&wrapid=tlif138979330771810&sa=X&ei=pZDWUrWcKMO0sASrvoGwCw&ved=0CBkQ1x0

Thank you in advance!!
    I don't take spin classes, but I do ride my road bike on my trainer indoors a lot and always wear the same clip shoes. If you're really set on not using those, I would recommend the lightest but more importantly stiffest shoe you can find. Good cycling shoes have stiff carbon fiber soles. I can understand not wanting to spend that much if you're just taking an occasional spin class. One thing to take into account though, the cleats connect you to the pedal and give you more power output. You're not just achieving it on the downstroke...you're also not losing power on the upstroke because you are able to pull the pedal up also. Even with cages, you lose a good bit of power. Also I know serious runners who have developed PF and have taken up cycling because they couldn't run, so that is definitely not the problem.
  • RayJasicki
    Options
    If you are going to continue spinning, definitely get cycling shoes. The soles are significantly stiffer and help with the sore feet syndrome.

Another thing to consider is the placement of your foot on the pedal. If you shove your foot all the way into the cage, it's too far for most people. The pedal should be hitting the ball of the foot (a little forward or back is personal preference), not the arch. The cages on Spinning bikes are modeled after a men's 11 shoe size. This information comes from my wife who is a certified Spinning instructor.

The other knowlede is from the thousands of miles a year I ride and used to race on a bicycle.
  • jeralank
    jeralank Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you are going to continue spinning, definitely get cycling shoes. The soles are significantly stiffer and help with the sore feet syndrome.

Another thing to consider is the placement of your foot on the pedal. If you shove your foot all the way into the cage, it's too far for most people. The pedal should be hitting the ball of the foot (a little forward or back is personal preference), not the arch. The cages on Spinning bikes are modeled after a men's 11 shoe size. This information comes from my wife who is a certified Spinning instructor.

The other knowlede is from the thousands of miles a year I ride and used to race on a bicycle.

^^^ this guy hit it right on the head...

I would invest in the cycling shoes... For the money, you will be saving yourself TONS of time and discomfort. Also, the "clips" will place your foot in the proper position for you, and they last for a long time...

Definitely worth the money, if you're going to cycle twice a week or more...
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would say its the set up of the bike. Ask the instructor to make sure you have the saddle and handlebars in the right position. I just wear regular Nike trainers.
    Also this. Every fraction of an inch makes a difference, whether it's the seat height or the bars or where you are placing your feet on the pedals. I recently moved my cleat slightly on one foot (they are in slightly different spots because one leg is .25" inch longer than the other) to get a little less toe, and the arch of my foot got tired the first time I rode like that. But I was just having to break in to it. Just like the saddle issue that most people are afraid to talk about. Padded shorts are a must with a proper seat, but it still hurts the first time or few. So you may not really have a problem at all, you may just have to get used to using your feet in a way you haven't before.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've done loads of spin classes, just in normal Nike trainers, and my feet have never hurt. As has been suggested, get the bike set-up checked so you're properly comfortable.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Placement of your foot on the pedal is critical whether you are wearing sneakers or cycling shoes. Everyone has a preferred point where the pedal axle intersects their foot. Some like it more towards the toe, and some prefer it nearer the arch (I'm one of those who sets his SPD clips as far towards the center of the shoe as can be).

It could be the pressure required to keep the foot on the pedal in the upstroke and or the strap(s) cutting off circulation creating your discomfort while on the spin bike. Both can be easily solved by going to clipless (with a properly fitting cycing shoe).

As others have mentioned, but I will echo - you could invest in a pair of clipless pedals and cycling shoes. It is the biggest performance boost for spinning the pedals that money can buy!!!!

You will be much more efficient and actually get a better workout because of it. Unless you want to walk like duck in road cycling shoes from the changing room to the spin bike, I would suggest a pair of mountain biking soled cycling shoes as they are easier to walk in as the "clip" is set up and receded in the tread. A simple set of SPD pedals and SPD clips (the bike shop can install them for you and make sure you are fit correctly) would be a nice addition to add some zip and stability to your workouts - with the hopeful outcome of removing the discomfort and pain you felt.

Easy to read up on the benefits....

http://gizmodo.com/5990381/why-you-should-switch-to-clipless-pedals

http://bikeline.com/buyers-guides/all-about-clipless-pedals-pg273.htm

http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=352

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110817110019AAMER6p
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get $200 shoes. I got an $8 pair on ebay and liked them so much, I bought another pair - one to keep at work and one for home for Sundays.