Quest Bars? Overrated or?

Options

Replies

• steffipaulina
    Options
    I like the Quest bars, if I'm going to eat a protein bar. For the calories, they are have one of the best amounts of protein. Most of the carbs are in the form of fiber, hence I don't eat more than 1/day. I like the chocolate chip cooke dough the best, but don't mind the apple pie, cinnamon roll or almond torte. Some folks like to nuke them in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften them; I just eat them as is.

That said, I try to eat mostly lean meats, cheese & eggs as my main protein source. I will also throw in protein powder several times/week, because I can't always eat 130-140 grams of protein as "food." My favorite protein powder is Syntrax Nectar, which I drink in milk or added to Greek yogurt with fruit & Kashi.

By the way, if you have a GNC near you, they have a membership program, which discounts the cost of the Quest bars. You can buy them online the same way.

One more suggestion, your protein goal is quite low. MFP is notorious for assigning a low protein goal. Recommendations are for 1 gram/pound of lean body mass, which for most women is around 100-125 grams/day. There are good weight loss studies to show that increased protein intake helps spare muscle loss & encourage fat loss during a weight loss diet.

I should be upping my protien? Can I change the goal here on MFP?
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've only had the cinnamon flavour.

Overrated as hell.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Well 'd much rather have a protein shake since Quest bars generally have more carbs but IIFYM., I love duth chocolate bar but I still prefer food
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I agree on the apple pie (haven't tried the other 2), and the others you mentioned that you did like. I bought double chocolate chunk and a sample box. So far the apple pie was the only one I wasn't a fan of. Definitely worth it if you can find them on sale.

Apple pie is yummy warmed up!

Now you tell me! :tongue: It was from the sample box, so it was the only one. If I get another one of those boxes, I'll try heating it up. And maybe add some vanilla ice cream. :bigsmile:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    You get a great jaw workout chewing them, they have good nutrition stats, but I think the taste is way overrated. I get a weird artificial sweetener aftertaste from all the flavors I've tried that I can't get over.

I much prefer just about any ThinkThin flavor, but they don't have as much fiber.
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options

I should be upping my protien? Can I change the goal here on MFP?

Yes, just click on "goals" under the "My Home" tab. Go to the bottom of the page & click on "change goals." The next page gives your the option of MFP set goals or "custom goals." Click on custom set goals & the next page gives all your settings. A couple lines down from the top lefthand column you''ll see the macro settings. MFP only allows you to change them in 5% increments, so get as close has you can by setting each goal. Obviously the 3 macro percentages have to add up to 100%.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I just got with cheapo Pure Protein brand bars. Costco seems to always have a triple pack of peanut butter, cookie dough, and chocolate on sale for around $15 for 18 bars (I think it's 6 per pack). 20g of protein and 180-200ish calories. Not sure of the carbs.

I love these bars - they have around 14g carbs in the bars. I love the peanut butter and the vanilla ones - the double crunch. So good. I thoguht about trying Quest bars but for the price.... just not worth it. I love these, they are a little higher in fat than I would normally like but my fat is usually on the lower end - unless I eat a lot of candy - like today. Very glad you mentioned these and I'm not the only one :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Where do you get them in Canada?

Pretty much everywhere I've looked I've seen them; Popeyes, GNC and a variety of local health food stores. But I live in Toronto, so they might be more readily available here?

Thanks. Guess I just don't shop in the right places. I wasn't really sure they were even available in Canada. I'm on the other side of the continent, but, no reason they shouldn't be in the same type of stores.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wait, Popeye's? What?
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Overrated!!! Besides After this....

http://www.strengthsociety.com/quest-bar-nutrition-lawsuit/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPo9KCrYKbQ

I don't eat them like I use too

Try the oh yeah! Victory bars :)

I was actually surprised when I watched the video--the guy is spot on (irrespective of his use of "guilty/not guilty" when referring to a civil/non-criminal claim :happy:) in terms of the ease of filing a claim in California as well as the fact that a simple complaint does NOT mean that Quest did in fact misrepresent its net carb content and/or calorie count. So, as he states--we don't know right now because neither the plaintiff nor Quest has provided any data. The complaint says the plaintiff based his assessment on a total purchase of 9 bars.

Separately--I keep some around in case I have a hard time meeting my protein requirement. It's not like they are Snickers bars (although the White Chocolate Raspberry ones are pretty good).
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Quest bars, but I REALLY really love Pro Bar Core. It's also 20 g of protein. More carbs but it tastes like a cookie, seriously, and it's gluten free and vegan.
  • healthyfitpursuit
    Options
    Me too!! My favorite is the cookie dough. Now they just released the new one.. and I must say I am really close to having a new favorite!
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Warm up a double chocolate chunk in the microwave 10-15 seconds then spread Nutella on it. Good stuff.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    QUEST BARS RULE!!!! So many flavors that you can't help but to find a few that you will love. We keep them handy for when we are on the go. You can't put a salad or a sub from Subway in your purse or glove compartment. They have saved my butt many times.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wait, Popeye's? What?

Not the fast food restaurant. LOL..when i moved to Canada from the states, it sounded funny also..but it's a health store based on the actual cartoon character Popeye here in Canada. :p
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I freaking LOVE these bars. When I'm out and about....I have one in my purse. If I'm not going home after the gym...got one. Dessert? Sure why not. Awesomeness.
  • gossipkween
    gossipkween Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    love them as a snack on the go and/or to get some protein in.

fave flavors: cookie dough, double chocolate chunk, cookies and cream!
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Favorite is the apple pie and banana flavored bars.
  • tiffhamann29
    Options
    Hey there, i was wondering if anyone else has ever felt nauseous after eating a bar. I found myself having a couple bites and feeling sick after muching. Anyone esle have this?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Hey there, i was wondering if anyone else has ever felt nauseous after eating a bar. I found myself having a couple bites and feeling sick after muching. Anyone esle have this?
    Was it one with erythritol in it? Have you eaten other things with sugar alcohols in them without incident in the past?

I don't normally have a problem with sugar alcohols, but seems like the Quest bars with erythritol have a GI upset effect in me too. I love the ones that don't have it, though!