sticking to diets at parties

Options
How do you all deal with going to parties and special events? Do you log what you eat that day, or just "take a day off" while still trying to eat fairly ok.

My birthday is next weekend and I am having a BBQ with some friends. The evening and night will likely be filled with eating....BBQ'd hamburgers, salads, beans, pasta, drinking, roasted marshmellos and who knows what else people might bring. I don't want to have spent two weeks of watching what I eat only to screw it all up in one night, but I also don't want to try keeping a mental note of everything and not even enjoying my birthday.

I will try not to go overboard, like eating 10 desserts or anything like that, but I do plan to have fun and i WILL be drinking, so I can't promise myself to be too strict. And I also do not go out and drink or go to parties like this often, so will one night of enjoying myself really do THAT much damage?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    How do you all deal with going to parties and special events? Do you log what you eat that day, or just "take a day off" while still trying to eat fairly ok.

My birthday is next weekend and I am having a BBQ with some friends. The evening and night will likely be filled with eating....BBQ'd hamburgers, salads, beans, pasta, drinking, roasted marshmellos and who knows what else people might bring. I don't want to have spent two weeks of watching what I eat only to screw it all up in one night, but I also don't want to try keeping a mental note of everything and not even enjoying my birthday.

I will try not to go overboard, like eating 10 desserts or anything like that, but I do plan to have fun and i WILL be drinking, so I can't promise myself to be too strict. And I also do not go out and drink or go to parties like this often, so will one night of enjoying myself really do THAT much damage?
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    Options
    I usually have some of the things I like, and just try to keep the portions small. One night of 'damage' is fine in my opinion. Do some good exercise that day and you'll be fine !
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I usually kinda take a day off. I try to eat just one plate, no going back for seconds and I'll usually pick just a couple of things off the dessert table!! Most of all just have fun!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just eat a little of what you like and as someone said don't go back for seconds. If you make some of the food use healthier ingredients. Also workout before the party if you want. The most important thing is to enjoy your birthday in the company of family and friends!!!!! You don't have to eat and drink so much to enjoy a good party. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    thank you :smile: