What are your thoughts of getting a Vitamix blender?

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking to go on a strict diet, but I can't stand eating veggies unless its a salad with lots of croutons and ranch. Obviously that is bad, but I stumbled onto green smoothies and it looks like the perfect way to get veggies for someone like me.

Anyways after looking into it I found a ton of people recommend a Vitamix blender for green smoothies as it's one of the best blenders and can blend ever the toughest seeds. Is this true?

I looked at their store and found they are having a sale on their reconditioned blenders which seems like a lot for a blender, but it's a small investment for my health I am willing to take.

It is very tempting as I've heard they can normally go for over $600 easily and I would get a nice variable speed version for about $300 with the sale and free shipping code.

I just want to hear your thoughts on if its a good investment into my health if I will use it on a regular basis.

Thanks!

Replies

• MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    We just got one (for dog food - no seriously. The German Shepard in my picture eats a home cooked diet of blended butternut squash, peas, carrots, lean turkey and brown rice sometimes hard boiled eggs. We use the blender three times a day for her alone). I LOVE it. It blends really well.
    It's also super easy to clean.
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I bought a vitamix last July and boy am I healthier now....I have a green smoothie every morning without fail.....I feel fantastic...…not to mention my gallbladder is happier.........I have no attacks!! This is because of the vitamix and changing my diet.....the kids are also much healthier as they are getting all their vitamins and minerals from having a smoothie in the mornings. If u look in my diary u can see what smoothies I have every morning...my diary is open have a look. I definitely would get one if I was u......it's life changing!!!:drinker:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for their reconditioned stock but the new ones are certainly worth the price.

I don't recommend going on a strict diet for the long term. Seek moderation.
  • DancingOnCloud9
    DancingOnCloud9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I haven't heard much about the vitamix, so I can't recommend nor can I shoot down this product. I have the same issue with veggies, there are a few that I do enjoy, but for the most part, I'd rather just have an 8 oz glass of veggie drink that I can drink down. (Kale, lean protein powder, and 4oz of cran-apple juice and 4oz water is my favorite.). I personally use a cheap $10 16oz blender/cup that I got at K-mart a few years back. My husband and I make 2 drinks a day and it hasn't done us wrong yet.....*knock on wood*. We had a juicer, but it was a pain to clean and it doesn't keep the pulp in the drink like the blender. There's no bells and whistles, but it gets the job done and it breaks down the veggies enough that it's a juice.

Juice idea's, the premix jamba packs in the frozen section go really well with veggie drinks, I do a .25 of the bag for each drink and add my veggies, protein, and half juice/water.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    They're great and I wouldn't drink green smoothies without a high-powered blender, but some much cheaper blenders are sort of close in smoothness. Not close enough for me but maybe for others.

Do you shop at Costco? They have a good deal on a Blendtec right now, the closest competitor. I've had one for about 4 years and use it a lot.

http://www.costco.com/Blendtec®-Total-Blender-Classic-with-WildSide-%26-Twister-Jars.product.100052400.html
  • LisaBeateith2012
    LisaBeateith2012 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    We just got one (for dog food - no seriously. The German Shepard in my picture eats a home cooked diet of blended butternut squash, peas, carrots, lean turkey and brown rice sometimes hard boiled eggs. We use the blender three times a day for her alone). I LOVE it. It blends really well.
    Now this is love.....what a well looked after dog...very impressed!! You have given me an idea to do this for my cats....thank you so much...I don't know why I never thought of this for my wee companions! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I just want to hear your thoughts on if its a good investment into my health if I will use it on a regular basis.

If you don't like to eat veggies, but would drink veg smoothies on a regular basis, then my thought is that this would be a great investment for you. I'm not a smoothie person myself, but my sister has a Vitamix and LOVES it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Blendtec is as good for around $100 less
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Is like driving a Cadillac.

I usually add a couple of handfuls of spinach or kale to my shakes. It turns them green but the taste is no different. Just play with the amount of veggies added until you feel like the flavor is changing, then back off.

Great way to get greens if you don't like to eat vegetables.
  • BexleyGirl
    Options
    All I can say is the Vitamix is the BEST purchase I have ever made. Not only was it an investment in my health, but it was an investment in the health of my husband and little girl. You will not regret it.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I won't comment on the fact that you are feeding a carnivore a vegetarian diet....
  • TanzaMarie
    TanzaMarie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    LOVE the vitamix. There is nothing it can't blend and with tough leaves like kale, that definitely important. If you don't want to fork over the money for a vitamix, the Ninja is decent, but nothing is better than a vitamix!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I won't comment on the fact that you are feeding a carnivore a vegetarian diet....
    Except you did comment...? Today's dogs are omnivores and that diet has turkey and eggs.

I have an obligate carnivore pet that I make food for in the Blendtec. It's just chicken blended smooth.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't have nearly enough interest to justify the cost. I know a few people who love theirs, though!
  • MorgueBabe
    Options
    Now this is love.....what a well looked after dog...very impressed!! You have given me an idea to do this for my cats....thank you so much...I don't know why I never thought of this for my wee companions! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou:
    She has IBS and a disorder which causes her to loose protein. It's literally the only the thing she can eat. IF you do this with cats you HAVE to give them a Taurine supplement.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

There's turkey in there. It's not like dog food is entirely meat (or even close to being so). I had a dog who due to allergy issues only ate chicken and potatoes for the last year of her life.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options

Um turkey isn't vegetarian. An my dog has IBS, and lymphangiectasia. We spent thousands of dollars at special vets and had a biopsy of her intestines and had to see a dog nutritionist this is literally the only thing she's allowed to eat and we have to weigh everything.
  • hellomuffintop
    hellomuffintop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you currently own any kind of blender? I started drinking green smoothies a couple of months ago and find my regular old Hamilton Beach blender is still fine for now. Obviously it will not blend the tougher stuff, but it's a good start to see if you even like the green smoothies and will stick with them. With my blender I've done spinach / other leafy greens, zucchini, peppers, steamed carrots and steamed beets. For things like apples, I just core and peel them first.

I do still want to get a Vitamix eventually but I'm glad I tested things out first. It's too much money to spend on something you might only use for a week! :)

(If you don't own a blender you might be able to borrow one from someone for a couple of weeks. Blenders seem like the kind of thing that a lot of people buy but don't always use that often.)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love to have a vitamix I just can't bear to spend that much. I have a Nutribullet ($80 at Bed Bath & Beyond with a 20% off coupon) which is great! I make smoothies every morning. They are so filling and I have already seen weight loss because I'm eating fresh fruits and veggies more.
  • MasterKat
    MasterKat Posts: 149
    Options
    They're great and I wouldn't drink green smoothies without a high-powered blender, but some much cheaper blenders are sort of close in smoothness. Not close enough for me but maybe for others.

Do you shop at Costco? They have a good deal on a Blendtec right now, the closest competitor. I've had one for about 4 years and use it a lot.

http://www.costco.com/Blendtec®-Total-Blender-Classic-with-WildSide-%26-Twister-Jars.product.100052400.html

I'm on my way to pick up a Blendtec tonight...SUPER excited! I've been watching the Demos the past few weeks...done a ton of research. I have my American Express waiting patiently for our trip to Costco tonight!