Atkins?

Options

Replies

• WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Atkins is not an extreme diet, and it is very effective.

There's an Atkins support group on MFP, you can ask questions there and get good advice:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/5181-atkins-support-group

Lol! YES, it really IS an extreme diet. I was on Atkins Induction off and on for months and found it absolutely miserable. Not to mention, I lost weight the first week, then NOTHING after that. If you're diabetic, then that's a good reason to limit carbs, but to lose weight, as a lifestyle option, it's just not for most people...and it only helps if you have a LOT of weight to lose. Despite what the book tells you, it works through calorie restriction, because you can't eat a lot of foods, especially at first. If the OP is set on this diet, I'd suggest that they try a lower carb diet, in order to restrict calories that way, rather than demonizing specific types of food. Simple carbs aren't that filling, so it's easy to stick to a diet if you're eating more filling foods, like protein and veggies. However, in a lower carb diet, you CAN eat a freaking cookie without feeling like you've blown your entire diet (because you "knocked yourself out of ketogenesis").

*smh* Atkins isn't an extreme diet. Psshh! :noway:

I don't know anyone that is suggesting Atkins is the "best" diet for everyone, nor do I see people suggesting it's the only way to lose weight. If it didn't work for you, then it didn't work for you - that doesn't mean it doesn't work for other people. I know plenty of people it works quite well for, and I'm simply suggesting it can be a better way to cut for certain people. If cookies are important to you, it's probably not the diet for you. :smile:

Agreed. It wasn't the diet for me, which is why I'm not doing it. :wink:
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

There's an Atkins support group on MFP, you can ask questions there and get good advice:

Lol! YES, it really IS an extreme diet. I was on Atkins Induction off and on for months and found it absolutely miserable. Not to mention, I lost weight the first week, then NOTHING after that. If you're diabetic, then that's a good reason to limit carbs, but to lose weight, as a lifestyle option, it's just not for most people...and it only helps if you have a LOT of weight to lose. Despite what the book tells you, it works through calorie restriction, because you can't eat a lot of foods, especially at first. If the OP is set on this diet, I'd suggest that they try a lower carb diet, in order to restrict calories that way, rather than demonizing specific types of food. Simple carbs aren't that filling, so it's easy to stick to a diet if you're eating more filling foods, like protein and veggies. However, in a lower carb diet, you CAN eat a freaking cookie without feeling like you've blown your entire diet (because you "knocked yourself out of ketogenesis").

Ok, so let's see now....what did I eat within the week.... Here's a rundown....

Eggs
    Bacon
    Smoked salmon
    Ribeye steak
    Ground beef
    Pork sausage
    Chicken
    Chicken soup
    Almonds
    Brazil nuts
    Asparagus
    Cabbage
    Radicchio
    Rapini
    Tomato
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    Fennel
    Kale
    Carrot
    Peas
    Olives
    Pickles
    Full fat Cheese (parmigiano reggiano, Comte, montassio, Toma Piedmontese, kerrygold cheddar)
    Flaxseed bread pita wraps (made with flaxseed, egg, extra virgin olive oil, baking powder, salt and water...and that's it)
    Dark chocolate
    Cream
    Butter
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Red wine, tea, coffee

Does this look like being deprived of food? At the end of the day, I'm so full and satisfied I don't even think of overeating above my calorie targets set by the traditional tdee, bmr, etc, calculations.

I'm not suffering at all....and yes I can live eating rich and delicious foods like this for the rest of my life!!
  • noelkm67
    noelkm67 Posts: 118
    Options
    I'm doing a low carb diet and doing very well.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Eggs
    Bacon
    Smoked salmon
    Ribeye steak
    Ground beef
    Pork sausage
    Chicken
    Chicken soup
    Almonds
    Brazil nuts
    Asparagus
    Cabbage
    Radicchio
    Rapini
    Tomato
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    Fennel
    Kale
    Carrot
    Peas
    Olives
    Pickles
    Full fat Cheese (parmigiano reggiano, Comte, montassio, Toma Piedmontese, kerrygold cheddar)
    Flaxseed bread pita wraps (made with flaxseed, egg, extra virgin olive oil, baking powder, salt and water...and that's it)
    Dark chocolate
    Cream
    Butter
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Red wine, tea, coffee

Does this look like being deprived of food? At the end of the day, I'm so full and satisfied I don't even think of overeating above my calorie targets set by the traditional tdee, bmr, etc, calculations.

I'm not suffering at all....and yes I can live eating rich and delicious foods like this for the rest of my life!!

Not a cookie or slice of real bread in the mix. Have fun with your flaxseed pitas, Oopsie rolls, and cauliflower tortillas and the fact that it's a pain to eat in many restaurants and explain to others why you can't have birthday cake, then tell me it's not extreme.

For me, eating is a SOCIAL event; if it's not, you're doing it wrong. If it works for you, GREAT! Different strokes for different folks. However, my assessment of the restrictiveness of the diet was EXTREME!
  • duffypratt
    Options
    There's a parallel question that doesn't get asked much here: Can you live the rest of your life weighing every single thing that you eat, and fastidiously counting calories taken in and calories expended? For me, the answer to that is no.

Low carb eating has had two benefits for me: it cuts out the cravings, and it allows me to eat without pre-setting limits on how much I can eat. My version of the low carb diet has basically been to shop the outside of the store, avoid all sugar and starch, and for fruit, stick with high fiber varieties (mostly berries). This is a diet that I can almost live on. I've done it twice, both times easily and with good results.

The hard part comes for me when I start going on "maintenance." Again two issues involved. First, the cravings come back and I find I'm eating more of the "white" foods than I should. Second, the weight loss was so easy the first time (and even the second time) that I don't think an extra 5 lbs is any big deal. And then the extra 5 baloons to a few more.

Here's my history with LC. Back in about 2004 I weighed 255 and went on Atkins. In a little over six months I was down to 205, and felt great. I went on "maintenance" and gradually sunk into bad habits again. By 2010 I was back to 256 lbs and my blood pressure had skyrocketed. I went back on LC mainly for the diuretic effect. It worked really well, and I got my blood pressure back under control, and then had my medications halved on 5 different occasions. I also got my weight down again to 212, but it was not the main goal of the dieting.

Now I'm back for a third round, and haven't quite decided how to approach the dieting. My weight got as high as 235. I'd like to get back down in the 210 range, or possibly lower. This time, I'm more concerned with simply losing weight, mostly to take some pressure off my knees. I haven't quite decided on a program yet, but whatever I do, its not going to involve weighing my food.

I think the ultimate goal is to develop a lifestyle where you can eat comfortably and maintain your weight without obsessing over the food. That means learning to listen to your body and understanding appetites, and perhaps dealing better with emotional causes of eating. Weighing your food simply erects an additional barrier in front of this goal. It will work for losing the weight, and is probably the best answer for many people, but I still see it as an undesirable crutch.
  • Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    Did Atkins for two years and a regular diet for two years..exact same calorie counts. Lost the same amount of weight. All diets will help lose weight. Just find the one that works for you. I could not stay on Atkins as I love my carbs. I did feel cold alot on the Atkins tho.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Did Atkins for two years and a regular diet for two years..exact same calorie counts. Lost the same amount of weight. All diets will help lose weight. Just find the one that works for you. I could not stay on Atkins as I love my carbs. I did feel cold alot on the Atkins tho.

^^THIS
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not sure why the "pro-carb" people creep into every thread like this. Of course you can eat carbs and lose weight, and of course the diet designed by Dr. Atkins isn't the only way to lose weight. Who ever said it was? However, there are a number of advantages to such a diet, first and foremost being the foods you eat are very satiating and you are unlikely to go hungry, even on an aggressive caloric deficit. Take two people eating, e.g., 1200 calories, with one following the Atkins plan and the other consuming small portions of the same foods they ate when they put on the extra weight, and I'd be willing to wager that the Atkins person will be more satiated throughout the day. Just look at the number of posts you see where people are struggling to get by on the 1200 calories MFP recommends - I have yet to see one of them complaining they're starving at 1200 calories while following a LCHF diet.

In short, simply because you like to eat carbs doesn't mean it's for everyone, especially for weight loss. As for long-term success, if you truly follow the Atkins diet, you will learn all the needed habits to maintain your weight loss, such as weighing/logging your food, tracking your macros, tracking your calories, and so on. I personally see no harm in someone wanting to use a LCHF while cutting body fat in order to take advantage of the satiating effect of LCHF foods and then using a different plan for long-term maintenance if they so choose.
    Most people join the threads to let the OP know it's unnecessary. My major issue with many of these type "diets" is they tend to cut calories drastically which adversely affect you long term. While LCHF is not a bad option, many people struggle when cutting large groups of food out of their diet. Short of having a medical condition, it's unnecessary from a weight loss perspective to cut out food group. Now from a satiety or diet adherence standpoint, that may not be true. Ultimately, the OP has to understand their current situation. If they have trigger foods, it would be advisable to cut them out of the diet. And for the most part, if you are exercising, 1200 calories is too little. Most women I know are eating 1700-2100 (tdee method with macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) which give you enough calories to feel full quite often.

I believe the issue that many of us have, is when comments like "LCHF" is much better for you or you will see much quicker fat loss through LCHF. Also, many of us want to get the OP's away from dieting and beginning teaching them how to eat long term for success, which most diets do not do. If you look at all the people who have done atkins... how many have maintained their weight loss and not gained back?

I see lots of scattered points and reasoning without a basis, especially the last paragraph where you say how many people do you know that have followed Atkins and maintained their weight. Like non Atkins dieters have no problem with weight gain, just the Atkins people. :noway: And I know lots that have done Atkins and have kept weight off, and improved their health and rid themselves of terrible cardiovascular problems that run in their family. Have you considered that not everybody has a body just like yours? Have you considered that by telling people certain healthy dieting programs that are not extreme and that have improved health that they are not sustainable and not healthy will have the effect of harming?

Actually, I know for a fact that not all people respond to things like mine; in fact, my wife has a medical condition that comes with a gluten intolerance. What I advocate is finding a diet/lifestyle that gives you the best chance to adhere to a diet. With that, I don't believe there is any one superior diet.

I will also be the first to admit when I do not know that much about a program.. atkins being one of them. That is why I used a general term such as these types of diets. It's not to specifically pick on atkins, but the majority of diets do cut calories in large. If atkins is not one of those, then great on them.

From a personal standpoint, any diet that eliminates foods you love, increases the chances of failure. On top of that, any diet that can give you flu like symptoms is beyond me. But if it works for you, go for it.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    There's a parallel question that doesn't get asked much here: Can you live the rest of your life weighing every single thing that you eat, and fastidiously counting calories taken in and calories expended? For me, the answer to that is no.

Low carb eating has had two benefits for me: it cuts out the cravings, and it allows me to eat without pre-setting limits on how much I can eat. My version of the low carb diet has basically been to shop the outside of the store, avoid all sugar and starch, and for fruit, stick with high fiber varieties (mostly berries). This is a diet that I can almost live on. I've done it twice, both times easily and with good results.

The hard part comes for me when I start going on "maintenance." Again two issues involved. First, the cravings come back and I find I'm eating more of the "white" foods than I should. Second, the weight loss was so easy the first time (and even the second time) that I don't think an extra 5 lbs is any big deal. And then the extra 5 baloons to a few more.

Here's my history with LC. Back in about 2004 I weighed 255 and went on Atkins. In a little over six months I was down to 205, and felt great. I went on "maintenance" and gradually sunk into bad habits again. By 2010 I was back to 256 lbs and my blood pressure had skyrocketed. I went back on LC mainly for the diuretic effect. It worked really well, and I got my blood pressure back under control, and then had my medications halved on 5 different occasions. I also got my weight down again to 212, but it was not the main goal of the dieting.

Now I'm back for a third round, and haven't quite decided how to approach the dieting. My weight got as high as 235. I'd like to get back down in the 210 range, or possibly lower. This time, I'm more concerned with simply losing weight, mostly to take some pressure off my knees. I haven't quite decided on a program yet, but whatever I do, its not going to involve weighing my food.

I think the ultimate goal is to develop a lifestyle where you can eat comfortably and maintain your weight without obsessing over the food. That means learning to listen to your body and understanding appetites, and perhaps dealing better with emotional causes of eating. Weighing your food simply erects an additional barrier in front of this goal. It will work for losing the weight, and is probably the best answer for many people, but I still see it as an undesirable crutch.

I Agree. You don't have to weigh food to lose weight. I lost my first 20 lbs. by cutting back on what I regularly ate. Unfortunately, this method was interrupted by my impatience to lose weight (and a group weight loss challenge), which led me to try Atkins. Big mistake. I killed every bit of intuition I'd developed by counting carbs, then calories, and now macros (but I have a specific reason to track macros, now). Had I just stayed the course, I'd have saved myself a lot of agony and frustration. Seriously
    You have the right idea. Good luck!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    I'm not sure why the "pro-carb" people creep into every thread like this. Of course you can eat carbs and lose weight, and of course the diet designed by Dr. Atkins isn't the only way to lose weight. Who ever said it was? However, there are a number of advantages to such a diet, first and foremost being the foods you eat are very satiating and you are unlikely to go hungry, even on an aggressive caloric deficit. Take two people eating, e.g., 1200 calories, with one following the Atkins plan and the other consuming small portions of the same foods they ate when they put on the extra weight, and I'd be willing to wager that the Atkins person will be more satiated throughout the day. Just look at the number of posts you see where people are struggling to get by on the 1200 calories MFP recommends - I have yet to see one of them complaining they're starving at 1200 calories while following a LCHF diet.

In short, simply because you like to eat carbs doesn't mean it's for everyone, especially for weight loss. As for long-term success, if you truly follow the Atkins diet, you will learn all the needed habits to maintain your weight loss, such as weighing/logging your food, tracking your macros, tracking your calories, and so on. I personally see no harm in someone wanting to use a LCHF while cutting body fat in order to take advantage of the satiating effect of LCHF foods and then using a different plan for long-term maintenance if they so choose.
    Most people join the threads to let the OP know it's unnecessary. My major issue with many of these type "diets" is they tend to cut calories drastically which adversely affect you long term. While LCHF is not a bad option, many people struggle when cutting large groups of food out of their diet. Short of having a medical condition, it's unnecessary from a weight loss perspective to cut out food group. Now from a satiety or diet adherence standpoint, that may not be true. Ultimately, the OP has to understand their current situation. If they have trigger foods, it would be advisable to cut them out of the diet. And for the most part, if you are exercising, 1200 calories is too little. Most women I know are eating 1700-2100 (tdee method with macros around 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fats) which give you enough calories to feel full quite often.

I believe the issue that many of us have, is when comments like "LCHF" is much better for you or you will see much quicker fat loss through LCHF. Also, many of us want to get the OP's away from dieting and beginning teaching them how to eat long term for success, which most diets do not do. If you look at all the people who have done atkins... how many have maintained their weight loss and not gained back?

I see lots of scattered points and reasoning without a basis, especially the last paragraph where you say how many people do you know that have followed Atkins and maintained their weight. Like non Atkins dieters have no problem with weight gain, just the Atkins people. :noway: And I know lots that have done Atkins and have kept weight off, and improved their health and rid themselves of terrible cardiovascular problems that run in their family. Have you considered that not everybody has a body just like yours? Have you considered that by telling people certain healthy dieting programs that are not extreme and that have improved health that they are not sustainable and not healthy will have the effect of harming?

Actually, I know for a fact that not all people respond to things like mine; in fact, my wife has a medical condition that comes with a gluten intolerance. What I advocate is finding a diet/lifestyle that gives you the best chance to adhere to a diet. With that, I don't believe there is any one superior diet.

I will also be the first to admit when I do not know that much about a program.. atkins being one of them. That is why I used a general term such as these types of diets. It's not to specifically pick on atkins, but the majority of diets do cut calories in large. If atkins is not one of those, then great on them.

From a personal standpoint, any diet that eliminates foods you love, increases the chances of failure. On top of that, any diet that can give you flu like symptoms is beyond me. But if it works for you, go for it.

Agreed
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Well, here's a perfect example of a person following the traditional" diet in MFP and putting the weight back on again, this thread came out today. So, I don't think it is right to state Atkins is not sustainable nor effective and Traditional (and I use that term loosely) diet is. Check out this thread and see what diet he's on, it's not Atkins and he's struggling, and in more than one attempt with the same diet:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175635-after-1-week
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me when I had over 50 pounds to lose. I lost it all and was hardly ever hungry. Now, however, I'm in the normal weight range and trying to get rid of vanity pounds that I regained, and no such luck. I still think it's worth a try for anyone who likes to eat meat.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My point wasn't to suggest everyone eat 1200 calories. Rather, my point is that you don't see a lot of people following a LCHF diet complaining that they're going hungry, yet that's a common complaint on these forums and I would be willing to wager a very common reason that people give up on dieting altogether. To put it another way, you say that some people struggle because they have to give up certain foods. I would argue that at least as many people with diets because they are hungry and miserable while dieting, and for some of these people, they may not mind giving up certain foods for a fixed period of time in order to feel more satiated.

Ok, i can understand that. I would agree that many people, especially noobs, complain of hunger but I would suggest that is because they are following the FDA standards which is carb heavy. If you alter your macros and minimize your deficit, I believe hunger wont' occur. This is why I always suggest foods high in protien, fats and fibers. Don't get me wrong, I don't think LCHF is necessarily a bad program. Like I said, if you can adhere to it, then it's very beneficial; this especially applies to those with insulin resistance or other medical issues. For me, and the major point of my post, was I feel there is no reason to give up whole groups of foods (like fruit) for a diet, unless those foods cause binging issues.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    If you can't do it for life, then don't do it. If you can't imagine yourself restricting any pasta, rice, ice cream, candy, etc. forever, then look for a different program.
    Can you lose weight on it? Sure, but you can on ANY CALORIE DEFICIT program.

EDIT: For people who are diabetic, this may work for them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Why is this? By what logic must your diet today be the same as your diet tomorrow? If through doing the Atkins diet you learn to track calories, macronutrients, weigh your food - basically developing good habits for long-term weight loss success - where does the harm come from? If through doing Atkins you are able to eat at a caloric deficit without going hungry, where does the harm come from? No offense, but mere conclusory statements that you should not follow a diet simply because you may not follow it until the day you day are not very convincing. Not to mention, you've disregarded most of what's been said in this thread and fall back on the "you can lose weight on any calorie deficit program." No one is denying that.
    Does Atkins allow for pasta, rice, bread, etc. over 20 grams? That's a no. So if a person doesn't feel that they could limit themselves from those, then why bother with this diet? Eating for LIFE isn't about torture or restricting because a diet program deems it as "evil".
    And I wasn't being conclusionary, I was merely stating logic since most people who go on any diet strictly do it for weight loss. Rarely do they think of sustaining the program as an after thought.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Eggs
    Bacon
    Smoked salmon
    Ribeye steak
    Ground beef
    Pork sausage
    Chicken
    Chicken soup
    Almonds
    Brazil nuts
    Asparagus
    Cabbage
    Radicchio
    Rapini
    Tomato
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    Fennel
    Kale
    Carrot
    Peas
    Olives
    Pickles
    Dark chocolate
    Cream
    Butter
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Red wine, tea, coffee

Not a cookie or slice of real bread in the mix. Have fun with your flaxseed pitas, Oopsie rolls, and cauliflower tortillas and the fact that it's a pain to eat in many restaurants and explain to others why you can't have birthday cake, then tell me it's not extreme.

For me, eating is a SOCIAL event; if it's not, you're doing it wrong. If it works for you, GREAT! Different strokes for different folks. However, my assessment of the restrictiveness of the diet was EXTREME!

It's not a pain to eat in restaurants, and a bite or two of birthday cake or whatever in a celebration does no harm to me. Will the world come to a screeching halt if I don't eat the entire slice...no. Social events are fine, in fact I find I have more ability to eat with this lifestyle than with the traditional diet, where in a traditional diet I would eat a birds ration of food and say no to all the good stuff, instead now, I load my plate up with incredibly rich food and not restrict any of the wonderful accompaniments like bearnaise sauce, hollandaise, salad dressings, clarified butter, etc. Throwing out the egg yolks for omelets, not being able to eat full fat cheese and yogurt, not to mention cream, butter, bacon, etc. give me a break...who exactly is on the restrictive diet?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Well, here's a perfect example of a person following the traditional" diet in MFP and putting the weight back on again, this thread came out today. So, I don't think it is right to state Atkins is not sustainable nor effective and Traditional (and I use that term loosely) diet is. Check out this thread and see what diet he's on, it's not Atkins and he's struggling, and in more than one attempt with the same diet:

I didnt say Atkins isn't effective. It works on the same premise as all diets.. a calorie deficit. Atkins, Advocare, Slimming World, WW and MFP all work.

Also, that is a very poor example. If you honestly think a person who has been dieting for a week is any indication of a traditional diet you are mistaken. If you want to see examples, look at the below threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

www.gettingfit4life.com <-- this is cyber ed's story.. an MFP mod who lost 312 lbs.

One week does not provide any results and many variables can effect weight loss: glycogen levels, sodium levels, accuracy of tracking, water weight from exercise, natural body weight fluctuations and more.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

I didnt say Atkins isn't effective. It works on the same premise as all diets.. a calorie deficit. Atkins, Advocare, Slimming World, WW and MFP all work.

Also, that is a very poor example. If you honestly think a person who has been dieting for a week is any indication of a traditional diet you are mistaken. If you want to see examples, look at the below threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics

www.gettingfit4life.com <-- this is cyber ed's story.. an MFP mod who lost 312 lbs.

One week does not provide any results and many variables can effect weight loss: glycogen levels, sodium levels, accuracy of tracking, water weight from exercise, natural body weight fluctuations and more.

Gah! Yes, this.
  • fruttibiscotti
    Options

Right, but I think what he said was that two years ago he lost about 40 lbs, put on 50, and now he's back in the same game. Hmmmm.....
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Eggs
    Bacon
    Smoked salmon
    Ribeye steak
    Ground beef
    Pork sausage
    Chicken
    Chicken soup
    Almonds
    Brazil nuts
    Asparagus
    Cabbage
    Radicchio
    Rapini
    Tomato
    Zucchini
    Cauliflower
    Fennel
    Kale
    Carrot
    Peas
    Olives
    Pickles
    Dark chocolate
    Cream
    Butter
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Red wine, tea, coffee

It's not a pain to eat in restaurants, and a bite or two of birthday cake or whatever in a celebration does no harm to me. Will the world come to a screeching halt if I don't eat the entire slice...no. Social events are fine, in fact I find I have more ability to eat with this lifestyle than with the traditional diet, where in a traditional diet I would eat a birds ration of food and say no to all the good stuff, instead now, I load my plate up with incredibly rich food and not restrict any of the wonderful accompaniments like bearnaise sauce, hollandaise, salad dressings, clarified butter, etc. Throwing out the egg yolks for omelets, not being able to eat full fat cheese and yogurt, not to mention cream, butter, bacon, etc. give me a break...who exactly is on the restrictive diet?

I was on the diet for a year. It blew. You like it? Eat like Atkins tells you to, but don't try to argue its level of freedom, when someone calls it restrictive, because limiting food groups by the very definition itself, IS RESTRICTIVE.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I've done Atkins twice. Both times I lost quite a bit of weight, both times I went insane with the food restrictions, and both times I regained all of the weight I had lost.

I thrive on carbs and no longer believe in restricting entire types of foods. I've lost nearly all of my weight and kept it off for 18 months by eating an appropriate number of calories no deprivation.