What Americans aren't eating

Options
KinoM
KinoM Posts: 359 Member
USDA chart on average household food consumption versus recommended levels. Make of it what you will:
http://ers.usda.gov/data-products/chart-gallery/detail.aspx?chartId=41706&ref=collection&embed=True&widgetId=39734#.UtathNJdWc0

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    so based on that data, and considering sources of each, the USDA is recommending that Americans eat more food not grown in America...
  • Pixt
    Pixt Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    so based on that data, and considering sources of each, the USDA is recommending that Americans eat more food not grown in America...

Don't we have some dude in Wisconsin to grow green stuff for us?
  • KinoM
    Options
    Which foods aren't grown in the US? I'm irish so I wouldn't know.
  • KinoM
    Options
    Don't we have some dude in Wisconsin to grow green stuff for us?

I can't find that stuff in the food database for some reason. Puzzling.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Fascinating. Thanks!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I have no clue what he's talking about. The US is a big country...there aren't many foods we can't grow somewhere in the country.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Most foods that can be grown in the U.S., are grown in the U.S. - although not at this time of year, and not as much as they used to be. We have a whole lot of space between New York and LA that many people don't think much about.

Basically what this chart says is that the government recommends we eat more whole grains and less of everything else. Which is in line with their other recommendation that a female such as myself eat about 130 grams of carbs and 46 grams of protein per day.

Need I say more?
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

:huh:

Based on what data?
  • _John_
    Options

the fish and vegetables and fruit are what stood out to me the most, and those are (sadly on the fish especially for most of america) largely imported.

Can depend on season for the veggies and fruit though, as a lot are grown in the US.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this data is affected by the fact our current EBT (food stamps) system allows free will of the card holder to purchase as they please with very limited guidelines and restrictions. Why buy FFV (fresh fruits and vegetables) when you can use the card value to purchase bottled water, Monster Energy drinks, soda, steak and deli items? We do have a WIC voucher system that forces the voucher holder's hand to purchase milk, eggs, beans, grains etc, but the ratio of EBT to WIC recipients is in the range of 9:1.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one confused by the recommended intake of soup?!
  • _John_
    Options
    I'm American and I have no clue what he's talking about. The US is a big country...there aren't many foods we can't grow somewhere in the country.

fruits and veggies are often grown seasonally...the US doesn't cover both the north and southern hemispheres...most of our typical grocery stores change very little in the fruits and veggies offered...you do the math.
  • _John_
    Options
    and besides my rant, yes, americans don't eat enough nutrient dens whole foods.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

fruits and veggies are often grown seasonally...the US doesn't cover both the north and southern hemispheres...most of our typical grocery stores change very little in the fruits and veggies offered...you do the math.
    Do you know you can't find Florida oranges in Florids grocery stores? You can buy locally-grown ones at farmer's markets and stuff, but we have Californian and Mexican oranges in gorcery stores. They ship ours to other states. SMH.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, the graphic on that website is quite a telling picture. It shows excessive consumption in the US of refined grains, sugars & sweets, as well as beverages. No wonder there's an obesity crisis.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Yikes! Look at that sugar data! :noway:
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hey John (and btw I love your pic),

You're right...this time of year we are getting alot of our produce from Central and South America, although if you look carefully, you can still find some items grown in the U.S.. California, Texas, and Florida have a few areas that can support farming year-round. ( http://www.california-grown.com/PDFs/Whats-In-Season.pdf). And oranges are picked in December and apples picked in the late fall in Washington are still available in the stores everywhere.

And about the fish, you're kinda right again: we do import more than we used to, but we also do still have domestic commercial fishing off all our coasts, and its trying to thrive although pollution and overproduction are taking their toll: http://stateofthecoast.noaa.gov/com_fishing/welcome.html

and @rml_16: thank you for your oranges. They are delicious. ;) But seriously, that is both weird and kinda sucky.
    Sorry if I'm being pedantic, but this post hit 2 of my nerves: the one where I feel we need to support domestic food production more, and the one where I'm sick of the USDA telling me to eat more wheat bread and less meat.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    In...

because there's no way that this thread isn't going to wind up breaking down into wild generalizations, blind patriotic rants, and butthurt insanity!

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one confused by the recommended intake of soup?!

I'm not eating enough soup in my diet!! :noway: :laugh:
  • mrsjones2point0
    mrsjones2point0 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How much did food industry lobbyests pay the FDA last year for their "studies" and "reports"