Going for a curry. *PLEASE HELP!!!*

Options
Hi all,

So, I guess you will all tut and frown but, in the fashion of a true Brit, I am eating out this weekend at an Indian Restaurant.

I absolutely LOVE my Indian food and do want to enjoy it - I realise that I will over eat on Fat and Carbs but want to try and make intelligent choices without completely ruining my experience!

I stay v strict and work out during the week but seems that there is always something going on at the weekends that will make me have a hiccup on the diet front.

Please advise!!

Replies

• keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Have a half portion of brown rice (if they do it, my local does, vegetable rice is also good) and some chicken tikka without the masala part
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    You can get the chicken that's cooked without sauce, just with spices and things. Tandoori chicken? With boiled rice and salad. If we get Indian take-away, I tend to go for a tomato based sauce, like balti, and boiled rice, and just have half. I guess that's harder if you're in the actual restaurant though!
  • squiguk
    squiguk Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If you have been good all week it won't be too bad to have a curry but maybe go for tandoori chicken which doesn't have the sauce with it. Or the vegetarian options such as the spinach/chickpea ones, or choose tomato-based sauces with chicken instead of lamb or beef.

What always gets me is that I have rice and naan bread! So as someone has suggested, stick to brown rice or salad and naan, not both!

Enjoy!
  • 15sscherer
    Options
    I make mine from home with a bit of plain lowfat yogurt and curry powder not as good but ehh diet friendly :smile:
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'd just eat and log. But if you're concerned about it, log what you're going to eat, and plan your day accordingly. Maybe allocate 1500 or whatever to the dinner, and eat some lean protein at breakfast and lunch. Should be pretty close at the end.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Just go out and enjoy yourself. One meal does not derail anything.
  • honsi
    honsi Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Tandoori chicken is the best meat option, good with either plain rice or bread with salad. Avoid all the extras like poppadoms and just have main course.
    Avoid creamy sauces- aim for something like a bhuna or jalfreezi. You could have a curry with meat and veg such as a Dhansak which has lentils or a veggie curry. Prawns and white fish are also low in calories so a prawn or fish curry in a tomato based sauce is a better option too. But try not to wash it down with a pint!
    Whatever you have it will be tasty.