Who is not doing the 1200 calorie a day recommended by MFP?

Options
124»

Replies

• sriley7682
    sriley7682 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do eat a 1260 calorie diet and I mostly stick to it. If I go over, I try to balance it out with a deficit on another day. I also exercise every other day, so that helps. I don't find myself craving more food and I don't feel starved -- but I know everyone is different! I also modify my macros to be lighter on the carb side and heavier on the fat/ protein side. I personally think this helps diminish my food cravings.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    I actually worry about people who eat too few calories.

It is not healthy for your body, it requires the nutrients and fuel.

It can lead to eating disorders and being too skinny. People should aim for healthy.

I am saying this from someone who had food and eating issues growing up. One reason why I try to worry less about weight and more about being fit and healthy. Also to make sure I eat and I eat healthy.

Just think in Britain the slang for a girl who is pretty and cute is 'Fit'

Its not skinny or slim, its 'fit'.
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    MFP recommend 1200 PLUS EXERCISE CALORIES.

Caps for emphasis. Nobody should be eating 1200. No one.

Not true, I used 1200 for my weightloss period eating 7 meals a day and I went from over 300 to 190 and it worked out fine for me then i tried bulk up and added more cals and carbs got up to 220 even tho i got bulkier and stronger i didnt like it, so now I'm back down with my calorie & carb intake cutting & leaning up nicely back down at 200...... so it just depends
  • AbbyRoad_
    Options
    I normally eat between 600-1000 a day but I never go over 1400
    Even 1200 is quite high for me

Please DO NOT do this!!! You are only 14 y.o. per your profile page. You shouldn't even be on this site. Spark Teens is the site made for you! You are waaaayyyyy under eating & setting yourself up for an eating disorder & very poor body composition. In the long run, you will have very little lean body mass (i.e. muscle). Plus at 14 y.o. you are still growing. This is VERY dangerous!!! Please listen to me, as I am a physician trained in both pediatrics & neonatology!!!! Ask your mother to take you to your pediatrician, so he/she can give appropriate advice & refer you to a pediatric dietitian!

RUN NOT walk to your physician!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah thank you I appreciate your concern but honestly it's fine
    I often end up at about 1000 anyway (especially if I don't exercise) so it's not that bad ^^; I don't want to bother my parents or anything like that either and I don't think it's necessary just now

I haven't heard of Spark Teens though so I'll have a look there, thank you :)
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 1325-1375 most days and exercising about 2-4 days a week. I'm 5'1".
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set to 1200, but I use a bodymedia device and even if I don't exercise it always adjusts the calories to give me about 300 more, with exercise it adjusts it even more, up to around 1300 additional calories.

In the end though, I try to eat between 1500-1800 regardless of what "net" calories say. Usually that means I net around 1200, but sometimes I a little over, sometimes a little under.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It only suggests 1,200 calories if you are very short, or if you select a weight loss of 2 lbs per week when it's not feasible for you to do so.....
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day is not for everyone, but its also not unhealthy. lots of people have successfully lost weight on 1200 calories a day, and maintained. if the op doesnt feel good on 1200, she should definately find a number that she is happy with, but thats not to say that those of us who do or have eaten at that level are unhealthy or going to "starve"

i lost all my weight in a year, and i am healthier now than i was at 16 years old.

1200 is not for everyone, but when those who can do it, do it successfully, it shouldnt be considered "unhealthy"

iwas able to meet all of my nutritional goals, at 1200, and as long as that is being done, thats what matters most.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    MFP never suggested I eat 1200 calories. When I was obese/overweight, I stuck to the mfp calorie goal which usually ended up between 1800-2000 when I first started, 1600-1800 when I was smaller. Now I eat around 2000 for maintenance
  • vmatare
    vmatare Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm doing the 1550 calories a day recommended by MFP. I've had a lot of days that I have not even eaten that many calories. I have lost about 8 lbs. in a month. I am doing a 90 day Zeal challenge also. I'd say make a change if you are having issues. Hope you find a way that it works out better for you so that you are more happy & you get great results!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I'm recommended 1380 calories without exercise and 1500-1700 with exercise depending on how many calories I burn.

I'm eating a range this time around... I'm eating at least 1200 calories minimum. If dinner comes around and I'm under, I eat a small snack.

But my range is 1200-1600 and I just stick with that. Just as long as I'm losing. And I try to eat more if I exercise more, but I dont eat back all my exercise calories.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me over 1600 and that's what I used. It only says 1200 if you're trying to go too fast...which is counterproductive, IMHO.
  • linguiste
    linguiste Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that MFP is recommending 1200 calories a day? It recommends 2000 for me. Are you talking about people only in your weight range? Your post makes it sound like MFP hands out a 1200 calorie recommendation globally to everyone!

Sorry - Correction - No it does not recommend 1200 for everyone. I do think its the lowest calorie amount it recommends though overall.

And who says you have to go with the lowest calories ? I do, because I am barely five feet tall and am 66 years old....but I am in a very small group. Most other people get to eat way more......and you probably do also....:o).
    Good Luck !

I also, have had a long history of different fitness levels. Powerlifter, bodybuilder, general... I find for me, I need to lose weight quickly for a family gathering, I am capping at around 1000 - 1100, and have been able to drop 2.5 pounds in a week. Too fast for a long time. This can be done TOPS for 2-3 weeks.

Next week, I up my calories.

I suggest you find what works for you. It depends on your bodytype, height, weight, activity level.
  • iampurebeautie
    iampurebeautie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    honestly, i think it depends on the PERSON, everyone is different...

Personally, for me, It really depends on that day... My goal via MFP is 1500 cal/day... today i was 86 calories under 1200 and 386 calories under 1500. I got that little message about staying over the 1200 mark... but i ate 3 meals today, 2 snacks and lots of water, with no exercise... on those days I do work out (usually 3 days a week) i usually always hit my 1500/day mark which makes sense :smile:

Some days 1200 calories seems perfect then other days 1500 calories seem like not enough... i honestly believe it depends on the person and their routine....
  • iampurebeautie
    iampurebeautie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    i think ppl are confused as to what she means by MFP RECOMMENDS 1200 cal... When you complete a diary under 1200 calories you will see this message:

*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum.

-- and thats assuming everyone gets this message if they happen to do a diary of under 1200 calories... so YES MFP SUGGEST WE CONSUME AT LEAST 1200 A DAY... :wink:
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Mine is 1200-1300 but I didn't use MFP to get my numbers I used this: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/