Hypothyroid and PCOS

Options

Replies

• littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have both PCOS and thyroid (also waiting on a heart op - so - has been very little exercise thus far) and it is hard, but you can do it :)

The main thing i have found was that - very few drs know a lot about EITHER of these conditions, much less how they interact with each other.

You need to research a lot yourself & try and incorporate as many foods which help with BOTH conditions as possible... the problem is - a lot of things good for one, are bad for the other - so - you need to weigh up the options and decid what is right for you.

Question everything - if someone tells you 'to eat something' or 'not to eat something' ask why/why not and ask 'what is it doing inside me for my conditions?"

You can do it :)

Edited to add - Dealing with PCOS/Thyroid combination, in my research - is NOT the same as dealing with PCOS OR Thyroid issues - it is unique - so please - do question the information given by people giving advice who just have one or the other & look into their advice from both a PCOS & Thyroid aspect before following it :)
  • purplemurfy
    purplemurfy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wow, here I am 45 and have suffered from hypothyroid and PCOS for many many years and didn't even think others on this site with the same. Thanks so much for posting. While it will be harder for us to accomplish our goals, it is NOT impossible.

Let's do this!!

Jodi - sent you a friend request with a very long message responding to one of your questions. :)
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Options
    Ive got PCOS too, Low carb diets with lots of vegetables and protein help though,
  • aprilh47
    aprilh47 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    i was diagnosised with under active thyroid when my son was 3 weeks old, hes gone 13 now and i am at least 6 stone heavier than i was then. not sure when i was diagnosed PCOS, but somewhere along the way. I also have a 7 year old daughter, the third never happened and not my age is against me too.
    I have battled with my weight for the past 13 years, and know that this journey is going to be difficult but sticking at it is paramount.
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - fellow PCOS here. 1st let me refer you to a PCOS site that can help with some the the issues, symptoms that you deal with on a daily basis with PCOS. http://www.pcoschallenge.com/

Feel free to add me if you like I would love more friends on here.

Rylnn
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    While I don't have PCOS, I have a fairly severe case of hypothyroid. My medication dose is at the same levels as people without a thyroid. For years I had doctors reluctant to increase my Synthroid dose keeping me in a hypothyroid state. My efforts of dieting and exercise were only met with weight gain. It was frustrating and devastated my will power to eat well and remain fit for a long time.

I finally got a doctor (GP) that was willing to increase my dose and get my labs to normal, non-hypo levels. However, she sent me to an Endocrinologist when my dose got really high. By the time I go to the Endo, my husband and I had been TTC for 2-3 months. First thing he did was tell me not to get pregnant. Ughh! He wanted to understand what was wrong with my thyroid - my high medication levels and young age of diagnosis had him concerned that I have something more rare than the more common hypothyroidism. Fortunately, the test for Hashimoto's came back positive, so the Endo is pretty confidant that I just have a more severe case of hypothyroidism. And now my levels have been stabilized for almost 6 months, so he gave me the go ahead to TTC earlier this week! Yay!

Even though I am medicated, I do have worries on if my fertility is affected. Also, once I get pregnant, the Endo will be monitoring my thyroid levels monthly. Thyroid levels can shift drastically over a short period of time while pregnant. If they are too low or too high, it can lead to developmental problems for the baby or even miscarriage (this includes 2nd trimester as well, when most women feel they are safe from that risk). The doctor told me to call his office the day I get a positive pregnacy test to get my lab orders. He said that I will probably have 2 sets of thyroid labs done before I even see the gyno.

Feel free to send a friend request and we can follow each other on our paths of getting knocked up!
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have both PCOS and thyroid (also waiting on a heart op - so - has been very little exercise thus far) and it is hard, but you can do it :)

The main thing i have found was that - very few drs know a lot about EITHER of these conditions, much less how they interact with each other.

You need to research a lot yourself & try and incorporate as many foods which help with BOTH conditions as possible... the problem is - a lot of things good for one, are bad for the other - so - you need to weigh up the options and decid what is right for you.

Question everything - if someone tells you 'to eat something' or 'not to eat something' ask why/why not and ask 'what is it doing inside me for my conditions?"

You can do it :)

Edited to add - Dealing with PCOS/Thyroid combination, in my research - is NOT the same as dealing with PCOS OR Thyroid issues - it is unique - so please - do question the information given by people giving advice who just have one or the other & look into their advice from both a PCOS & Thyroid aspect before following it :)

I agree - most Dr's really only want to focus on the the fertility side of PCOS and not the other issues - so you do need to research and educate yourself. Here a good website to start with http://www.pcoschallenge.com/

Please feel free to add me to your friend list. :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I have Hypothyroidism and PCOS....My doctor recommended low carb and high protein and I have been losing weight. I eat eggs and some meat everyday for breakfast, lots of chicken, pork, cottage cheese...red meat sometimes 2 times a week. I also drink protein shakes.

good luck.

Donna
    I have Hashimoto's (am hypothyroid and on meds) and I am on a diet that is similar, also low fat, have lost 11 lbs. (10 of them fat) in the last 2 weeks. My weight Doctor also said he thinks I have insulin resistance, does that count as a diagnosis? I guess. My little Sister has Hashimoto's (also on meds) and PCOS but has never been fat in her life, she does eat pretty low carb/low fat.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    While I don't have PCOS, I have a fairly severe case of hypothyroid. My medication dose is at the same levels as people without a thyroid. For years I had doctors reluctant to increase my Synthroid dose keeping me in a hypothyroid state. My efforts of dieting and exercise were only met with weight gain. It was frustrating and devastated my will power to eat well and remain fit for a long time.

I finally got a doctor (GP) that was willing to increase my dose and get my labs to normal, non-hypo levels. However, she sent me to an Endocrinologist when my dose got really high. By the time I go to the Endo, my husband and I had been TTC for 2-3 months. First thing he did was tell me not to get pregnant. Ughh! He wanted to understand what was wrong with my thyroid - my high medication levels and young age of diagnosis had him concerned that I have something more rare than the more common hypothyroidism. Fortunately, the test for Hashimoto's came back positive, so the Endo is pretty confidant that I just have a more severe case of hypothyroidism. And now my levels have been stabilized for almost 6 months, so he gave me the go ahead to TTC earlier this week! Yay!

Even though I am medicated, I do have worries on if my fertility is affected. Also, once I get pregnant, the Endo will be monitoring my thyroid levels monthly. Thyroid levels can shift drastically over a short period of time while pregnant. If they are too low or too high, it can lead to developmental problems for the baby or even miscarriage (this includes 2nd trimester as well, when most women feel they are safe from that risk). The doctor told me to call his office the day I get a positive pregnacy test to get my lab orders. He said that I will probably have 2 sets of thyroid labs done before I even see the gyno.

Feel free to send a friend request and we can follow each other on our paths of getting knocked up!
    Do you have Hashimoto's (most hypothyroid, about 85%, is). I have that and when I was younger I had no problem getting pregnant, make sure you are medicated well.
  • indignantgnome
    indignantgnome Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yup. I have both PCOS and hypothyroidism, and take levothyroxine for the thyroid (which has some crappy side effects for me), spironolactone, and metformin. The combination of levo & spiro brought on long-lost periods that metformin didn't for me. I also had TERRIBLE digestive problems from the metformin, until I started watching the carbs I was eating.

My very favorite low-carb foods are cottage cheese and english muffins. Sourdough bread is fairly low in carbs, compared to white bread, as well. :) Feel free to friend me, but please leave a message with your request so I know you're not a crazy. ;) Even though crazy might be fun!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashi's, take 88mcg Synthroid, and lost really, really slowly. But I lost!
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have hypothyroid, have since I was 17 and I'm now 44, but no PCOS thankfully. I've read some things that do say that those two issues can be inter-related as well as the infertility and hypothyroid. Really your whole body depends on it's endocrine system to be able to function properly. I would recommend a book called Stop the Thyroid Madness. It's kind of one of those books I wish I had known about a long time ago- Full of good info and explains how many things relate to one another within our body.

As far as diet and exercise I stay away from gluten as much as possible, try to eat unprocessed as much as possible, lots of fruits and veggies, and proteins, fish, chicken and venison mainly. I cook and bake my own things a lot so I can monitor what goes into it, and usually make extras for dinner that I can eat again for lunch if possible. I think that lots of cardio is the way to go for us underactive thyroid folks, we really need the burn so I do more cardio than strength these days.

If you'd like to friend me, your more than welcome, I always try to answer people's thyroid questions as best I can...
  • hezabella
    Options
    Hi Vanessa, i too suffer from PCOS. Myself and my partner tried for years for a baby. We have a 5 year old son now. At the time i fell pregnant, i had lost 3 stone before hand, so losing weight definatly helps to conceive. I have found from being a PCOS sufferer, your best bet is to follow a low gi eating plan, excersise lots, and cut down as much carbs as you can. Drink PLENTY of water too. I lost 3 stone within the space of 2 months, just by cutting out all the junk, fizzy drinks, eating healthier, cutting out snacks, and most carbs. You have a very pretty face Vanessa, and im sure you WILL acheive ur wishes of becoming a parent. All the best xxxx
  • hezabella
    Options
    Hi Jodie (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/user/jodilreagan/status ) i see your on Metformin, i am too, for the exact same reasons. Whats BC , if u dont mind me asking? xxx
  • loseitbig24
    Options
    Hi, I too was diagnosed with pcos. I had trouble conceiving due to fact that I was eighty ponds overweight. I did a couple of cycles of clomid than a few rounds of injectable and thank god I conceived. Yay! anyway following the birth of my princess I decided that's it I am going to lose weight enough that no doctor should ever mention that I am overweight. And guess what- WHEN THERES A WILL THERES A WAY! I recently lost seventy five poubds and I conceived on my own. I took metformin dieted and went to the gym daily. I feel like a different person. Right now I weigh 155 and I am eight weeks after birth which is great. my goal weight is 140. I went back on metformin recently and I hope tp reach my goal soon
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 6 years ago and had been trying to concieve for 4.5 years. i was refused fertility treatment 4 times over those 4 and a bit years cos of being overweight and i finally found out i was preggy a week before my treatment was due to begin a fter being refused for so many years. I was on metaformin for just over a year in the last 4.5 years and i swea\r thats what helped get me preggy on top of losing 4 stone. However when i first started trying over 4.5 years ago i was only 14 stones and couldnt concieve, this time i fell preggy a stone heavier! I genuinely think its more to do with diet than weight, however being overweight while preggy can have more compolications. I do believe there is hope for all PCOS sufferers when there diet has changed and some weight has been lost. at my heaviest i was 19 stone 4 ibs. I am now rising up in weigtht again and must relose it, however this time i am not looking for a baby so am finding the moti8vation hard atm to lose weight where as before i had a reason. You can do this!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. (:
    My name is Vanessa. I'm 21 and married. I have hypothyroidism and PCOS.
    No matter what I do my weight steadily increases. My husband and I haven't been able to conceive because of my problems.

Anyway, looking for some friends to help with motivation and such. (:

What medication do you take for hypothyroidism?
    What about PCOS? Do you take Metformin?
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yup. I have both PCOS and hypothyroidism, and take levothyroxine for the thyroid (which has some crappy side effects for me), spironolactone, and metformin. The combination of levo & spiro brought on long-lost periods that metformin didn't for me. I also had TERRIBLE digestive problems from the metformin, until I started watching the carbs I was eating.

My very favorite low-carb foods are cottage cheese and english muffins. Sourdough bread is fairly low in carbs, compared to white bread, as well. :) Feel free to friend me, but please leave a message with your request so I know you're not a crazy. ;) Even though crazy might be fun!

Do you take the regular or extended release version of Metformin? The extended release version is easier on the stomach. I took the regular version for many months and had awful GI issues from it. I just switched a week ago to the extended release and I haven't had many problems.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    I know for me I can't stand the synthetic thyroid hormone, I take NatureThroid or Armour. It is tough to find a Doctor in my area when you don't like the synthetic stuff (unless you have lots of cash), sad but true.
  • Annieshorty18
    Annieshorty18 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    what is PCOS? I have hypothyroid and its the hardest thing for me to loose weight.