if ... then weight statements at the end of each day

Options
13»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    This idea of my not understanding how MFP works has intrigued (and challenged) me. So, I went to my reports for the first time and look at trends. Most were very predictable and expected. My "net calories," however, for the last 30 days show a trend of falling well below the daily goal. But I'm not sure I'm interpreting this correctly. I thought I was getting close to my caloric goal, after workouts, each day. This makes it look like I'm not.
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    Its just a numbers thing. If you ate your absolute TDEE every day, you wouldn't gain an ounce, all things considered. like me...some days I lose 2 lbs, some days I dont lose any. But I know I am doing better. When my muscles hurt, I know they need protein, so I eat some chicken, or ground beef, or a protein shake. So yes...it is pretty much saying that if you overeat, you will get fat. If you dont, and you stay just under your TDEE, you will gradually lose some weight. But I am a guy, so it is a lot more volatile with me than with you slender women out there.
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    The only variable in that equation is the caloric intake. The system assumes you do the same motions every day to use the same TDEE.
  • MountainMoverJosh
    Options
    Math and Health Science....I love it!
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    These are silly and arbitrary, right? I'll never weigh 131 pounds again, lol (that one makes me laugh) ... and because I'm lifting and generally pretty solid, I can't imagine I'll lose weight as rapidly as they suggest I will, only due to my caloric intake and daily exercise. Should I just ignore these statements altogether?

I'd be happier if they gave me the same statement based on what I did today, the average of the last 7 days, and average of the last 28 days.... That would be a more realistic version of projecting future trends than a single data point.

I also would not object to seeing it tell me something like "If every day were like today, you would be dead in 5 weeks" when I only NET something like 400 cals.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    These are silly and arbitrary, right? I'll never weigh 131 pounds again, lol (that one makes me laugh) ... and because I'm lifting and generally pretty solid, I can't imagine I'll lose weight as rapidly as they suggest I will, only due to my caloric intake and daily exercise. Should I just ignore these statements altogether?

I'd be happier if they gave me the same statement based on what I did today, the average of the last 7 days, and average of the last 28 days.... That would be a more realistic version of projecting future trends than a single data point.

I also would not object to seeing it tell me something like "If every day were like today, you would be dead in 5 weeks" when I only NET something like 400 cals.

LOL! yes ...
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The only variable in that equation is the caloric intake. The system assumes you do the same motions every day to use the same TDEE.

This is wrong. The only variable is calorie deficit (or surplus). It calculates your TDEE by adding exercise calories to BMR and lifestyle calories.