Any tips for staying motivated?

Options
Hey guys I am fairly new to this site but I like it a lot. I use it on and off but I am really going to stick to my goals this time. Any tips for motivation?

Replies

• ataylorgardner
    ataylorgardner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    welcome. I guess staying motivated really depends on your reasons for what you are doing. getting on here and having some friends to encourage you does help. What are your goals and what is the main reason you decided to set those goals? You need a good "why" to help you stick to the "how" part of any goal.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yes Why is important and you have to deicde your why is way more important to you then all the why nots you will face along the way

some other tips.....

1. Make friends one here and actually take the time to get to know them, if you really connect with someone on here they can be really useful to support you and help make you more accountable.
    2. Break your long term goal into smaller short term goals so that you feel more connected. its alot easier to stay focused today when you want to lose 4 lbs this month than when you want to lose 50 by the end of the year. With that being said make sure they are attainable goals so you do not frusterate yourself.
    3. Some people like to set up rewards for themselves too, it could be money or shopping or just a treat, whatever you think you would respond well too.
    4. set goals outside of just your scale weight, the scale can be frusterating sometimes. Fitness related goals can be very helpful and you can feel really good about accomplishing them even on your bloated I want to stay in bed and hide from the world kinda days :wink:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Pretty girl...so many tip jokes...can't hold them in

But seriously, my tip would be to way everything, and don't be pissed at yourself for having some pizza and beer every once in a while. Oh also becareful in the forums, it is the internet and there are no filters so take things with a grain of salt.
  • Leisalynn84
    Leisalynn84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've joined a couple groups on here. One to lose 14 lbs by Feb 14 (I'll brobably not lose more than 10 but I'm ok w/ that) And another group where everyone made their own goals and are trying to reach them by March 17, St Patricks Day. I've also joined a group for people turning 30 this year and have made many friends there. These groups and challenges are fun milestones on the way to a bigger goal (to lose 40ish lbs by my 3oth b-day in September). So, make friends, join groups, set small goals that will be easily achievable and don't get discouraged!

And don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day...and find out yout TDEE, don't eat below 1,200 calories a day.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Adjusting to a more consistant healthy lifestyle is like cooking a brisket----YOU CAN'T DO IT FAST----LOW AND SLOW MY FRIEND. You are not alone. Reach out to your friends here frequently and remember why you are doing this. U GOT THIS!!!
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Everything the other commenters recommended. And I like to read, so I keep going back and reading this MFP classic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • marymoog
    marymoog Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been at this now since August. I have lost about 15 pounds, and maintained during the holidays. Since starting an internship recently, the weight has started falling off again.
    Here is what worked for me:
    -I downloaded MFP's mobile app and used it to constantly track food before I ate it. Sometimes doing so stopped me from eating something that would make me majorly go over my calorie allotment.
    -I made working out part of my schedule. I was in 6 college classes last semester, and I treated my Zumba classes and cardio sessions like a seventh class. I made sure to go at least 4 times per week.
    -I told myself that the journey is neverending. "A year from now, you will wish you had started today" is my favorite motivational quote. Even if the weight doesn't come off as fast as you would like it, quitting and starting all over again in six months is not going to help the cause. I think that looking at it as a lifestyle change is the best way to proceed.

Overall, if you are ready to do it, you will. I wish you the best of luck!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Yes, look at the half naked men on here. It is quite motivating.

Has anyone told you that you favor Kim Kardashian?
  • callyart
    callyart Posts: 209
    Options
    Go to the 'success stories' thread. If I have a weak moment I instantly look at the people on here that have achieved their weight loss and look so healthy and good!

I also think about my future, my health, and my confidence. I question why I started in the first place, and if I was to give up, do I want to live being over weight anymore? Obviously I don't.
  • msflynnbly
    msflynnbly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Watch some you tube videos of peoples sucessful weightloss on mfp xx
  • Softtopchick
    Options
    Hiya... I only joined last week so im a novice to the site. However, im not new to trying to get fit and healthy. That's my goal . Also youre human and you will have bad days so don't give yourself such a hard time if you do! I stay motivated by checking what I eat and saying to myself how much do I really want that food that's high in fat or calories - my answer is not enough to have to go spend that extra time exercising. Good Luck :-)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes, start developing good habits. Logging accurately and consistently, getting your workouts done, weighing everything. Because there will be days if left to motivation alone you won't do it, but if it's just part of your daily routine than you won't think twice about it.

For feel good stuff that might inspire you success stories are great, the MFP Fitspiration thread is one of my favorites.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1128928-mfp-fitspiration

Developing a support group on here has also helped me, they are always willing to give me a kick in the butt if I need it
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    *I've made working out part of my daily schedule just like going to work or walking the dog.
    *I was getting burned out at the gym with elliptical, treadmill, bike and stairmaster so I started doing various workout videos at home.
    *I started strength training three months ago and love challenging myself. Hard to get bored when you constantly challenge yourself
    *Some people like having a workout buddy as well to keep them motivated. I prefer to workout by myself so I can do what I want but if you need a buddy that's great.

Hope some of these tips help you! Have a good day!
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for about three weeks and have been hanging out on these boards WAY more than would be reasonable, except I gave myself a pass to do whatever it takes during my first month to stick with it. Hearing about other people who are also working on their health keeps me interested and coming back. Someone already mentioned the success stories board... It's so inspiring!
  • Deathlylooks
    Options
    I would say to set small goals rather than just looking at that end one, makes it less daunting when things are taking their time to get going...:smile:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I would say to set small goals rather than just looking at that end one, makes it less daunting when things are taking their time to get going...:smile:

Good one! I meant to say that too. My goals so far have been week by week and have nothing to do with weight. The first week it was track every day, no matter what. The second week was to hit 150 minutes of exercise, no rules on what.
  • djones209
    djones209 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would say not to stay fixated on food. Try to stay busy and think about something else. This is. Y third time at major weight loss and this really seems to be helping me this time, remember that it is a lifestyle change and not a diet. Good luck!
  • AusEliza
    AusEliza Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    workout with a friend and follow a set program. I found that keeps me motivated.