12 months, 90kg

Options
GADavies
GADavies Posts: 62 Member
In December 2012 my brother got married, the most important day of his life, and I hated the photos that had me in because I was so grossly fat. Combined with a few other things that prompted me to decide it was time to do something about it...

In January 2013 I set myself a challenge of losing 90kg before the end of the year, that's 198lb. That would bring me down to what I weighed at age 18 and be a big step towards being the right weight again instead of the 210kg (33st) that I was. I decided to go with the same approach the Hairy Bikers used and combine a 1500 calorie diet with exercise (no I didn't eat back exercise calories).

I started logging everything with MFP and realised very quickly that I didn't have any concept of portion size, Special K is only a healthy choice if you eat one portion at a time and not 5! So I weighed and logged religiously, learning what I could fit into the food budget and what I couldn't. That's all there was to the diet, if it fits in the calorie limit it's allowed, if it doesn't it's not. No "eating clean", no low carbing, just rigorous calorie and portion control.

In conjunction I started exercising, to begin with this was walking on a treadmill because exercising outdoors was just too humiliating when I got out of breath walking round the supermarket. Soon I added inclines and faster walking and by the middle of the year was running on a regular basis and doing weights 3 times a week at home. In October I joined the Leeds council gyms and added swimming, rowing, and cycling to the exercise regime along with a weekly BodyPump class.

At the end of the year I found myself having lost slightly more than my goal and my entire life changed as a result, I now weigh 119.7kg instead of 210kg and with only about 15kg left to lose I can see the end of the weight loss regimen getting rapidly closer! I do a 5km parkrun every week as well as HIIT and endurance runs, if I want to go somewhere and do something I don't think how embarrassed I'm going to feel or whether I'll actually be able to do it. I can live, and I'm more likely to live past 50 than I was! It was sodding hard at times but all the effort last year was utterly worth it, and not being single any more is a very nice bonus on top of having my life back and a big chunk of it was down to using MFP to track my food intake :)

The photo that started it all (me on the left)
article-2535309-1A77EB6F00000578-179_634x412.jpg

Now
article-2535309-1A7A010300000578-327_306x423.jpg

Coverage in the Daily Mail (boo, hiss!) - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2535309/33-stone-man-loses-15-stone-YEAR-seeing-horrific-pictures-brothers-wedding.html

Replies

• kkmalay
    kkmalay Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!!!!!! you look fricken amazing, well done! you are my inspriration for today.
  • paruls86
    paruls86 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I wish i had your determination!!
    Good going man
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    something I've always wondered - did the mail approach you, or did you approach the mail? if you approached the mail, why, when you seem to be hissing at them?
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    something I've always wondered - did the mail approach you, or did you approach the mail? if you approached the mail, why, when you seem to be hissing at them?
    They picked it up from syndicated local news, unfortunately their article was better written than the local one so rather than link both I just put the one with the pictures.
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    They picked it up from syndicated local news, unfortunately their article was better written than the local one so rather than link both I just put the one with the pictures.
    ahhh that makes more sense lol, well done on the amazing loss! (should have really said that first, but the way that the mail works is astounding to me) :flowerforyou:
  • GoreWhore72
    GoreWhore72 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Excellent. :)
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations on your healthy success!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    fantastic work! (the mail though... :) )
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Nice going Gaz, good advert for MFP too; truly fantastic effort, you should be so pleased!!!
  • Irishoats
    Options
    Now this is a success story
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
  • sbussard
    Options
    You look totally amazing, totally awesome!
  • photojunk
    photojunk Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss you look really healthy.
    I'm based in Leeds too, nice to see some locals on here
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • MGinAK
    MGinAK Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Way to Go!!!
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Congratulations :)
  • jennifersmiles444
    jennifersmiles444 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations...you look fantastic!!!
  • Sharbear73
    Sharbear73 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Seriously amazing!!
  • alexveksler
    alexveksler Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!