Protein Powder

I am trying to get more protein in my diet and needed a little help. So I got some protein powder. How much protein shakes should I take and when? I never really stuck to taking protein so I am a little rusty. I know if I work out to drink it after...........

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I think that how many protein shakes to drink really depends on how close you are to hitting your protein goals and what your other macros look like.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    I think that how many protein shakes to drink really depends on how close you are to hitting your protein goals and what your other macros look like.

Sounds about right. Thanks :)
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Depends on your diet.

If you aren't eating meat everyday, I would drink at least a shake a day. If you want to prevent over-eating, you can drink your shake 20-30 minutes before a meal. The protein should take away some of your appetite. :)
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Yep on the "depends on your diet." I get lots of protein in, but use it to prevent over-eating, so I sneak it in in-between meal snacks. I really like mixing in some vanilla or chocolate protein powder (about 1/3 of a scoop) into some greek yogurt - it makes the yogurt taste kind of like cake, and then I'm not so hungry at my next normal meal. It's also good for a quick snack before/after a workout.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Look at your own diary at the end of the day. See how many grams of protein you consumed for the day. You should be at least 1 g per your lean body mass (google it - but it is how much you weight minus the fat, so baiscally bones, muscle, cartiledge, everything else). Your LBM should be somewhere between .6 to .75 of your actual weight. Depends what your body fat percentage is. A calipor is the best way, but you can take tape measurements of various body parts and plug them into an online calculator for your LBM. The cheat way is just multiple your actual current weight by .7 (in pounds btw). Whatever you get, make sure you ate that much in grams of protein. If you are under, you can use protein power and other **supplements** to get more protein in.

Protein powder, quest bars, shakes, meal replacements, they are all supplements. That means your primary focus is to first try and get what you need from your regular meals first. If you try your hardest but still can't get in a certain nutrient like protein for example, then supplements become very helpful.

If you need more protein in your regular diet, try eating more of the following:
    Lean fish
    lean chicken breast
    Cottage cheese
    Greek Yoghurt (I find Kroger light Greek has the highest protein per calories)
    Egg whites
    Low fat milk
    Tuna fish (canned)
    many beans

I hope this helps.