just getting started

Options
I just found this site yesterday and am getting started. I was going to join Weight Watchers online (I did Weight Watchers one other time after my daughter was born and had success) but then I found this and it's free so I decided to do it instead of WW. I don't have any friends on MFP right now and would be happy to have some who share similar goals. I don't really want to tell friends what I'm doing yet because then everyone asks why I need to diet and blah, blah, blah, it's not really helpful. I did tell my husband who I think might like to join me.

I have lost weight successfully before so I know how to do it. My problem is I'm only about 10 pounds over my highest healthy BMI so it's kind of easy for me to think, "well, I don't really need to do this," or "I don't feel like doing it now," and just not do it. And I really would like to be more in the mid-range of my healthy BMI, but that would mean losing about 20-25 pounds.

So I am seeking support. I am married, I have two teenagers and I work full time, so I do have time crunches.

I have an elliptical trainer in my basement and I"m a member of my YMCA so I will use that to exercise. I like the elliptical trainer because it's low impact, but the last time I did a lot on the ET last year my left hip started hurting and being really sore so I stopped to let it get better. It's better now, but I hope that is not an issue.

I'm absolutely not a runner, and I have a good place to walk but I need something that burns energy faster with less time.

Replies

• TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Hope you find it as useful as I have. I have done Weight Watchers for years, and still follow that way of eating mostly but count the calories on here now instead. Think its working better for me because I feel accountable every day instead of a once a week weigh-in after which I "indulged" for two or three days then played catch-up before my next weigh in! I've sent you a friend request :flowerforyou:
  • beaches61
    beaches61 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks, TL! NIce to meet you. What kind of wine do you like to guzzle? :) I like wine, too, but I am going to have to try to stay away from it at least while I'm getting started because it makes me eat more.
  • Travko
    Travko Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Welcome Beaches! Feel free to add me as a friend. I'm fairly new as well, but I find this system very flexible and more adaptable to real life.
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Aussie reds mostly, but there's not many I refuse lol! At the moment though I'm staying dry for January (roll on 1st Feb!!! :drinker: )
  • shelbert9
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Like Beaches, I am also just getting started... or should I say restarted... I used MyFitnessPal for a couple of years and lost 25kg, it is fantastic and works well... However, I have just had a hip replacement so my exercise regime has become virtually non-existent and I have put on about 7kg in 10 weeks (over Christmas too, but that's not a good excuse!) So, I am back on it now... trying to at least walk for 15 -30 mins a day and doing some swimming and walking in water...I look forward to seeing how you all go and keeping you updated on my progress as well... Bring on 2014 :flowerforyou: