Setting activity level as sedentary

Options
2»

Replies

• xLittleMissVixenx
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone, it's been really helpful. I wouldn't say I've been lying to MFP about my activity levels because about 2 days a week I genuinely do just sit in my flat all day and watch TV/read. I'll stick with being sedentary and for those days where I really am sedentary I will stick to 1200 cals and then log walks for the other days so I can eat a bit more. Obviously if I find that I stop losing weight because of this then I'll go back to not logging the walks.

Also though, I only said that I wanted to lose 1lb a week because I don't have that much to lose so any more would be unrealistic and it still came out with 1200 cals a day.
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, sedentary would mean you are lying in a bed in a coma, and only your organs are burning calories to keep you alive. You will be surprised if you get a device like a fitbit at how much exercise you actually get from normal day to day tasks. I set mine to sedentary, and then let my fitbit flex add on calories as I burn them. I have lost 11.5kg in the last 4 months doing this, without being hungry or skipping on food I love. This must be sustainable it it is to succeed.
  • sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I set my activity level as sedentary as well. should i change this now that im working out 6 days a week?

Yes! :) x
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Also though, I only said that I wanted to lose 1lb a week because I don't have that much to lose so any more would be unrealistic and it still came out with 1200 cals a day.
    If you don't have a lot to lose now, set it to .5 lb. Not 1lb. Your 1lb/1200 calorie isn't realistic for someone your age that's actually working out.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice everyone, it's been really helpful. I wouldn't say I've been lying to MFP about my activity levels because about 2 days a week I genuinely do just sit in my flat all day and watch TV/read. I'll stick with being sedentary and for those days where I really am sedentary I will stick to 1200 cals and then log walks for the other days so I can eat a bit more. Obviously if I find that I stop losing weight because of this then I'll go back to not logging the walks.

sigh ... so for 2 days out of 7 you are sedentary ... you know what? Nevermind, I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi, newbie here! I set my activity level as sedentary because the only exercise I do other than walking places is 3 days a week at the gym which I log separately, and it's given me a net goal of 1200 calories per day. I don't mind doing this and have been around that figure for the last week, but does sedentary imply that you do literally NO exercise and sit on your bum all day? I was wondering whether I should be logging any walking I do. For example, I walk to university and back most days which is a 30 minute round trip which according to MFP would burn 92 calories if I walked at a leisurely pace. Is it reasonable to add these extra 92 calories or is that cheating? I just feel that 1300 calories would be better for me to eat well than 1200 on my non-gym days.

You state what your usual activity level is and you log your exercise separately. You will get extra calories for your walking and you need to eat those extra calories.... If you are still not clear, I can send you the statement explaining it from MyFitnessPal.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to light and I only log actual workouts as exercise.

The way I see it, I've always walked to the bus stop, cleaned the house, done some light gardening etc so why should that now be classed an exercise / workout.

IMO everyday activites should not be logged in order to 'earn' extra calories. If you set up MFP right and use a more accurate way of tracking your cals burned through exercise, i.e. a HRM or the like, you'll be fine.

Hope this makes sence, and helps :flowerforyou:
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I lost 55+ lbs by changing to a healthy lifestyle and using MFP as a tool/resource to keep track of calories and exercise. I've been maintaining for 18 months.

I sit at a desk during the five weekdays, so I have my daily activity level set to "sedentary." I wear a "smart pedometer" which tracks ACTIVE minutes of steps, so I set a daily goal of 60 minutes of these active steps -- which is pretty much a good walking pace, not just around the office steps, etc. I add in the active walking minutes, because I track them and plan for them during the day -- trying to make sure I get up from the desk and walk / hike the stairs, etc.

I also add gym workouts and tennis sessions, etc. Overall, I think if you're honest with the "food-in" part, by portion-control, etc -- logging exercise is a great habit and really encourages you to make it part of your healthy lifestyle.

A fitness coach told me to aim for 10 minutes of "activity" for each 60 minutes I sit on my butt. - So, I have the goal of 90 minutes of some sort of "activity" each day - between active walking steps and gym workouts, etc -- I get there most days.

You have to experiment and figure what works best for you -- on the calorie-side and the activity-side. What healthy lifestyle changes can you sustain and maintain for the best situation for your life?
  • xLittleMissVixenx
    Options
    Edit: Duplicate Post
  • xLittleMissVixenx
    Options

sigh ... so for 2 days out of 7 you are sedentary ... you know what? Nevermind, I wish you all the best :flowerforyou:

What's this supposed to mean? :huh:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

What's this supposed to mean? :huh:
    that regardless of what you think, you aren't sedentary.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Based on what you've put here, I would do lightly active and then log your intentional exercise (planned workout sessions).

Eta: it seems like you only need to lose 15 lbs or so. I would set your goal for 1/2 lb per week, if you haven't already. I honestly feel like you will have better results that way.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Hi, newbie here! I set my activity level as sedentary because the only exercise I do other than walking places is 3 days a week at the gym which I log separately, and it's given me a net goal of 1200 calories per day. I don't mind doing this and have been around that figure for the last week, but does sedentary imply that you do literally NO exercise and sit on your bum all day? I was wondering whether I should be logging any walking I do. For example, I walk to university and back most days which is a 30 minute round trip which according to MFP would burn 92 calories if I walked at a leisurely pace. Is it reasonable to add these extra 92 calories or is that cheating? I just feel that 1300 calories would be better for me to eat well than 1200 on my non-gym days.
    If your job is to sit in a chair and listen to lectures (as I'm assuming from this) XXXXXXXX EDIT: After re-reading your initial post, I think you should be at lightly active as far as your MFP setting. You may log your walking although be aware that the estimates on MFP for calorie burn are inflated. Depending on who you believe on the forums, the calorie burn is anywhere from 50%-66% HIGHER than it SHOULD be.....so if you're logging the walking you may want to use between 28-46 calories instead. It's always easier to underestimate the burn (and be pleasantly surprised at weighin) than to overestimate and be disappointed and maybe even tempted to throw in the towel. After a week or two, you should have a good idea what number to log. You might also (if you are able to get to a gym to do this) hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes at the pace you usually take and see what number the machine gives you. While it will also likely be a bit high, it should be much closer to the true number.

Good luck!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, sedentary would mean you are lying in a bed in a coma, and only your organs are burning calories to keep you alive. You will be surprised if you get a device like a fitbit at how much exercise you actually get from normal day to day tasks. I set mine to sedentary, and then let my fitbit flex add on calories as I burn them. I have lost 11.5kg in the last 4 months doing this, without being hungry or skipping on food I love. This must be sustainable it it is to succeed.

No, that is not at all what sedentary means! BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is what you're referring to - that's about the amount of calories you'd need as if youwere in a coma. Sedentary is 1.2x BMR so it allows for basic daily movement. Another user posted this definition of sedentary recently and I think it sums it up nicely:
    Sleeping - 8 hours
    Personal care (dressing, showering) - 1 hour
    Eating - 1 hour
    Cooking - 1 hour
    Sitting (office work, selling produce, tending shop) - 8 hours
    Driving car to/from work - 1 hour
    General household work - 1 hour
    Light leisure activities (watching TV, chatting) - 3 hours

This pretty much describes my days so I am set as sedentary. If you follow MFP (and not a custom set like TDEE-%), you should log your exercise calories and plan to eat back at least half of those earned calories. OP, sounds like you've got it figured out.