Low carb - argument!

Options

Replies

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    carbs don't make you fat! fat makes you fat!

Nope. Barring a medical problem, taking in more calories than you burn makes you fat. A healthy body will convert whatever you put in it to use as energy and store whatever you don't use as fat. We women especially need fat to regulate our hormones, which in turn regulates our fat storage. I eat over 200g a day in carbs (and 140 grams of protein and 80 grams of fat) and I lost steadily and now maintain just fine. OP, since you've chosen the low-carb route, you're doing okay. Enjoy your banana.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    He then got angry and claimed I "don't eat low carb"...
    He said that 25 g a day or less was the norm...
    He then said tomatoes don't go with low carb...
    He said a lot. At what point did you say, piss off ?
  • Panguin
    Options
    Depends how active you are. Because if you are working out or exercising consistently and moderately you need your carbs. Carbs give you that energy to work out. I wouldn't do low carb if that was the case.

Now, if you are not exercising then cutting carbs would be ok for you.

However, a lot of people who are on low carb "diets" tend to binge eat after and gain the weight back. I would suggesting looking up IIFYM (if it fits your macros). This has worked wonders for me in my weight loss.

xo
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    There is a major, significant difference between low carb and keto. Your "friend" is keto, (very low carv in which your body goes into a state of ketosis, when your liver"s glycogen stores are depleted). Most nutritionists, physicians, etc. Consider low/lower carb 100-150 grams per day. I find about 100 grams per day allows for me to not be a raging meat-a-holic only and i can enjoy my veggies and fruit. I still know ,any people losing steady and significant amounts of weight eating high carbs too. It"s whatever works.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Low is what is low for YOU. Your friend can eat as low as he wants but that doesn't mean everyone should be doing the same. I eat anywhere from 50-100 g. of carbs a day. I wish I could have more but having diabetes kinda puts the kybosh to that.

Its always been, for me anyway, that if I eat fewer carbs, I will lose weight. Others will pooh-pooh low carb and tell how many carbs in a day they eat and still lose weight. I envy them.....but I never could do that. Not even before I developed diabetes.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Still wrong. But thanks for playing, Now go back to class.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Don't mess with my carbs!

This
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    He then got angry and claimed I "don't eat low carb"...
    He said that 25 g a day or less was the norm...
    He then said tomatoes don't go with low carb...
    He said a lot. At what point did you say, piss off ?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options

You are so wrong, I cant even begin to tell you. Enjoy your diabetes.

Ill enjoy my bacon, steak, olive oil, eggs, cream cheese and live longer than you.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

Ill enjoy my bacon, steak, olive oil, eggs, cream cheese and live longer than you.

^^^^ this!!!!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

So if I don't eat low carb then I am going to contract diabetes and die an early death?? Is there some sort of scientific research you have come across to support this theory. I am Type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) and have worked with my Endo dr. and dietician to lose the weight that I have all while eating atleast 40% of my calories from carbs and have A1c averaging at 5.3 and am regulating my diabetes with diet and exercise instead of medications. I have no issues if you want to eat low carb, no carb, etc..... but saying if I don't then I am doomed is a stretch... Best of luck OP, I could never nor would I ever want to go that low with my carb consumption.......
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Well, it easy, he's an idiot. Anything lower than the RDA can be consider low........how low you go is pretty much dependent on the amount of misinformation that has lodged itself some where in the neocortex.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you're eating in a way that you enjoy, and it's working for you, I see no reason why it has to fit a specific label. If it makes your friend feel better, you could just call it "lower carb".

I agree with this....just eat!! :)
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options

So if I don't eat low carb then I am going to contract diabetes and die an early death?? Is there some sort of scientific research you have come across to support this theory. I am Type 2 diabetic (diagnosed in 2009) and have worked with my Endo dr. and dietician to lose the weight that I have all while eating atleast 40% of my calories from carbs and have A1c averaging at 5.3 and am regulating my diabetes with diet and exercise instead of medications. I have no issues if you want to eat low carb, no carb, etc..... but saying if I don't then I am doomed is a stretch... Best of luck OP, I could never nor would I ever want to go that low with my carb consumption.......

The ketogenic diet has reversed diabetes in some patients.

Insulin is the root of all problems. Cancer, Diabetes, strokes, go search online. Expand your mind. Sugar and carbs are terrible. They should be eaten in moderation.

Your doctor has it all wrong and is caught up in the 1980s carb fad that has turned society's view on nutrition *kitten*-backwards.

Fat does NOT make us fat. Carbs did. Now it will cost health agecies too much money and there will be too much of an uproar in society to be told that fat is OK and sugar is bad.

The Diabetes association is its own enemy. Its how they keep themselves in business.

There are literally thousands of articles appearing up about insulin and the problems it causes. I dont want any part of that. I am the healthiest I have ever been in 26 years. My mother has diabetes and do not want to follow in her footsteps. She ate way too many carbs in her lifetime to cause that.

I eat under 20carbs a day and they only come from vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, peppers, etc - NO starch veggies). I lost 100lbs eating high fat, bacon, mayo, steaks, chicken, pork, fish, omega-3 oils, butter, and when i got my blood tests, my doctors were astounded. I have perfect cholesterol, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Now I am working out at the gym lifting weights and running like a monster and guess where I get my fuel and energy from? Fat.

Open your mind. I am italian, I miss pasta, I miss pizza, but my health is more important. I couldnt care any less about those foods now. And I eat beautifully.

Peace out
  • cpitcher1
    Options
    I havent read through all of the comments yet, but here's what happened to me....2 years ago, i decided to go "low carb" with Atkins. Well, i didn't not ready the book, just the food list & took it as, as long as what i am eating is on the food list, i can have whatever i want. I didn't count carbs so to speak or calories or fat grams, I ate what was listed. I am down 53 lbs. Granted, that isn't very much in 2 years, but I do drink beer & I cheat on most weekends. a slice of pizza or 2, onion rings, burger & fries ect. I have seen some people do less than 100 carbs, less than 50 carbs & 30 or less. Whatever works for you!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Insulin is the root of all problems. Cancer, Diabetes, strokes, go search online. Expand your mind. Sugar and carbs are terrible. They should be eaten in moderation.

Your doctor has it all wrong and is caught up in the 1980s carb fad that has turned society's view on nutrition *kitten*-backwards.

Fat does NOT make us fat. Carbs did. Now it will cost health agecies too much money and there will be too much of an uproar in society to be told that fat is OK and sugar is bad.

The Diabetes association is its own enemy. Its how they keep themselves in business.

There are literally thousands of articles appearing up about insulin and the problems it causes. I dont want any part of that. I am the healthiest I have ever been in 26 years. My mother has diabetes and do not want to follow in her footsteps. She ate way too many carbs in her lifetime to cause that.

I eat under 20carbs a day and they only come from vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, lettuce, peppers, etc - NO starch veggies). I lost 100lbs eating high fat, bacon, mayo, steaks, chicken, pork, fish, omega-3 oils, butter, and when i got my blood tests, my doctors were astounded. I have perfect cholesterol, heart rate, blood pressure, etc. Now I am working out at the gym lifting weights and running like a monster and guess where I get my fuel and energy from? Fat.

Open your mind. I am italian, I miss pasta, I miss pizza, but my health is more important. I couldnt care any less about those foods now. And I eat beautifully.

Peace out

More James Krieger, less Gary Taubes please:
    weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    No offense, but your friend sounds like a d!ck.

Do what works for you.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Umm...? No! Excess calories make you fat.

OP, carbs should be determined after you've set your protein and fat targets. This is also something that can become variable depending on lifestyle, activity level, and tolerance. It may take some time to get to a carb range that is right for you. Go too low and workouts suffer. Go too high and you may not see the fat loss results you're looking for. Be patient and take measurements along with weighing yourself. You may have to make adjustments, but eventually you'll find the right range for you.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Peace out

I haven't cut out any of the foods I enjoy and I'm healthy and happy. I lost over 50lbs doing this and am now maintaining beautifully. And my blood work panels are pretty much perfect as well, including having normal glucose numbers now, instead of numbers in the pre-diabetic range like they were before. Most of my relatives have/had type 2. Every single one of them is/was overweight/obese. That has notbing to do with how many carbs they eat and everything to do with how many calories they consume.

OP, don't let yourself get tied down with labels. Eat how you want and if someone gets in your face about it then politely tell them to mind their own business (telling them to piss off does have a nice ring to it :laugh: )