Crossfit Coach Severed Spine :-(

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Sucks...but at the same time it is at a competition...not your everyday Crossfit gym. Want to point out that this could happen in any sport. Paula Radcliffe, Derek Redmond, Kerri Strug. Injuries happen, and usually at the worst times.

ALL the times are a bad time for an injury.
  • Leather_N_Lace
    Leather_N_Lace Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    This is so sad:(
    I hope our box is doing something for him.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sucks...but at the same time it is at a competition...not your everyday Crossfit gym. Want to point out that this could happen in any sport. Paula Radcliffe, Derek Redmond, Kerri Strug. Injuries happen, and usually at the worst times.

ALL the times are a bad time for an injury.

Chocolate...go back to licking your fingers! :laugh:
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I wasn't dissing him. Football, hockey, basketball, all the sports have broken heros. I was just saying that doing that kind of job without insurance is kind of irresponsible. That's all. It's not a client issue or anything. I mean, it's all on him. It's horrible, the whole thing is horrible. And, it's great that people are coming to his aid with cash, but that will run out as the med bills continue. So, I don't know. It's just very irresponsible to be doing that without insurance.

I completely agree. Athletes of any kind should really have insurance.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    That's sad, but how was he allowed to work as a coach without health insurance? I believe it's a requirement in the UK if you want to be a Personal Trainer.

As a trainer either you or the gym/box you work at has to have liability insurance. Don't know why it would affect my clients if I didn't personally have health insurance? That's a non-issue IMO

In the land of Obamacare? I think it's against the law now to not have insurance. Oh well. Silver lining though-No pre-existing conditions!
  • Tubtui
    Tubtui Posts: 53
    Options
    That's sad, but how was he allowed to work as a coach without health insurance? I believe it's a requirement in the UK if you want to be a Personal Trainer.

The UK has universal health care.
    Personal trainers need a liability insurance though.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's rough. I'm trying to understand what happened. Did the plates land on his back?
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    OMG :( So sad for him..Hope he recovers :cry:
  • spider_mark51959
    spider_mark51959 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Terrible story
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    CrossFit Unbroken owner Matt Hathcock
    Would it be poor taste to suggest that perhaps their name was asking for trouble?
    :-\
    Generally you wouldn't to have insurance to cover yourself I believe - just what you or your kit may do to others. It may not even be regulated that you have to have it - certainly in lots of businesses you don't. In the past, due to the nature of a business (not health related) as it was low risk relatively I've not had it and accepted that if I did get sued, that would be the end of the business.
    But it's a moot point here anyway as far as medical bills go, of course - which I think is the majority of the issue.
    There would be the POSSIBILITY of compensation if he sued the organiser of the event and could prove they were negligent.
    For instance some years ago a motorcycle rider managed to sue a trackday company because they didn't make it clear that the grass was a lot more slippy than the tarmac and so crashed when they went on to it. They now make this clear in the briefing, ontop of the many things you sign.
    I suspect as an instructor he would have a harder time claiming he should been advised to not do whatever he did.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    That's rough. I'm trying to understand what happened. Did the plates land on his back?

When he bailed the lift he let the bar go behind him and fell over backward, as near as I can tell:
    [somewhat graphic] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWJapBpKrQA
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It looks like the bar landed near the base of his neck while he was on his butt on the mat? Wow.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    http://kevinogar.com/

From the above link:

"As coach at CrossFit Unbroken in Englewood, CO and an accomplished elite level athlete himself, Kevin Ogar's focus each and every day is to help make people better. His kind-hearted personality and genuine care for an athlete's well being is what makes Kevin shine and those around him are drawn to his warmth and caring attitude.

As an athlete Kevin is no stranger to pushing himself to his greatest abilities. He is so comfortable in the uncomfortable and his ability to handle pain is far beyond that of a normal human being. A Superman in his own right. Kevin excelled in CrossFit the most, being one of the best in the sport. This is his legacy. CrossFit is a part of him and will stay that way forever. He will continue to affect people positively through CrossFit and through his triumph over this tragic event."

I would venture to guess that he wasn't from a "bad box"
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    I would venture to guess that he wasn't from a "bad box"

I wouldn't know, it's just something I hear crossfitters say when something bad happens.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Damn that sucks. i'm not a crossfitter, but very cool of their community to help raise funds for him (although i'm not sure how much will be needed to financially deal with this kind of injury)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Yikes, cringe, and sadness for such an unfortunate accident.
    Thoughts with him and those who witnessed such a terrible event.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Oh my god...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Nice of the Crossfit community to help him. He's got over $160,000 donated now.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    In fewer than 48 hours, people from around the world donated more than $100,000, CrossFit Unbroken owner Matt Hathcock told CBS.

As tragic as this story is, the sentence above is an amazing thing. I hope that some day I'm fortunate enough to belong to a community this generous.