Calorie intake?

Options
Hey guys, so I just turned 18 years old. Im 5'4 and 125 pounds. My goal is to be 115 preferably before summer. I have a bmr just over 1600 and I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day. Right now, I don't do much excersise besides walking home from school 4 days a week (30 min walk) . I've been doing okay on 1200 calories for the past couple weeks but I'm starting to notice that I'm getting hungry. I'd like to lose 1 pound a week but if I eat more than 1200 calories I won't achieve my goal of 1 lb a week. What should I do about my calorie intake?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, so I just turned 18 years old. Im 5'4 and 125 pounds. My goal is to be 115 preferably before summer. I have a bmr just over 1600 and I'm currently eating 1200 calories a day. Right now, I don't do much excersise besides walking home from school 4 days a week (30 min walk) . I've been doing okay on 1200 calories for the past couple weeks but I'm starting to notice that I'm getting hungry. I'd like to lose 1 pound a week but if I eat more than 1200 calories I won't achieve my goal of 1 lb a week. What should I do about my calorie intake?

You should shoot for half a pound a week. 1 pound a week is not realistic when you only have 10 pounds more to go.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    you are misunderstanding BMR. You need to be eating more, that is why you are hungry. Check out these two links:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If the natural difference between your TDEE and BMR don't allow you to lose weight a a rate that you want to solely from a dietary calorie restriction, the only other thing you can do and still be healthy is to exercise and not eat back the calories or only eat back a portion. Just make sure you are actually eating enough to get in the proper nutrients, as prescribed in the first link.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Which calculator did you use to get a BMR of 1600?? The highest I could get for you using a few different calculators was 1408. I ask because I'm the same height as you, 23 years old, 116lbs and 1600 is above my TDEE.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to lose 1 pound a week if you only want to lose 10 pounds by summer? Lower your settings to .5 pound per week, and eat those calories and about half of your exercise calories.

I calculated your BMR using the Scooby calculator, and it said 1477. I'd start eating at least that much. You won't lose 1 pound a week, but you won't be as hungry either.
  • robbimoraes4
    Options
    But if my bmr is 1477 and I eat that same amount in calories, wouldn't I be maintaining my weight rather than losing? I'm so confused.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    But if my bmr is 1477 and I eat that same amount in calories, wouldn't I be maintaining my weight rather than losing? I'm so confused.

BMR = basal metabolic rate. This is the amount of calories they would feed you if you were in a coma.

TDEE = BMR + the amount you need for daily life and everything you do = also called "maintenance".

For healthy weight loss, and only 10 pounds to go, you should be eating at about TDEE - 10%.

My Fitness Pal is not a TDEE calculator. It estimates your BMR, plus daily activities (but not including exercise). Then it takes off a flat amount of calories based on how many pounds per week you choose to lose. Choosing a too aggressive goal will give you too few calories to eat.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Your BMR is the number of calories your body burns to maintain organ function, like breathing, digestion, etc. if you were in a coma. Assuming you actually get out of bed and do something during the day, like regular life activity (talking, walking, showering, working, or whatever) you are burning more than 1477 calories.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    So lets back up just a few here. So the question is what should you do about your caloric level because you are hungry eating under your caloric maintenance?
  • robbimoraes4
    Options
    Correct!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Correct!

Make sure you are not too far under your caloric maintenance. Understand that BMR is not "maintenance". Make sure you understand MFP's method and that you set a reasonable calorie goal.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets