Jazzercise - Yay or Nay?

Options
13»

Replies

• jillmschoeffler
    jillmschoeffler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Maybe, you've already made up your mind or tried a class, but I own 2 Jazzercise franchises in Houston, TX and became an owner by first a student, then instructor and now owner. In my professional opinion (certified group fitness trainer and personal trainer) this program is formidable in many ways. One, it gets cardio and strength training achieving goals set for both by NCAA recognized organizations. Two, routines always switch and you and your muscles do not get bored. Three, it's fun (dance to current hits), effective (I have watched students lose 100 + pounds with a clean diet and consistency and efficient (one hour, bam 600 cals burned on average, and you're on your way). Hope this helps.
  • FGT9
    FGT9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Jazzercise has evolved :o)
    I love Holly she is a great instructor :o)
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Former 20+ year Jazzerciser here. (Had to quit due to a repetative stress injury.) So yes, in the 80s we had legwarmers and poufy hair. Then the 90s came and the 00s and over the decades they progressed just like everyone else. Don't let the naysayers ruin your opportunity to try something new and fun. It is a good workout. Don't know if they still do circuit training but I really enjoyed those particular classes.

Great calorie burn and the music is updated regularly to the top 40 hits of the day.

My only advice is to go in with an open mind, stand in the back but so you can see the instructor, wear good, supportive shoes. Don't worry that you don't know the steps/routines. Going more than once or twice, you'll catch on quickly.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    My mom did it for like 15 years. I went once. Mostly to see my mom dancing to Kanye...that was hilarious.
  • Tawna2017
    Tawna2017 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Enjoy! I wish I had a friend like that! I love my jazzercise!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    If you wear the skin-toned, camel-toe inducing bodysuit, then nay.

Personally I prefer Prancercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    LOVE Jazzercise, so much fun! I much prefer it over Zumba, as I prefer the music - more top 40 type of music. My mom has been doing it for 30+ years and I join her whenever I can (don't have one near me). I love any sort of dance workout, though. Can't come out of an hour of dancing without a smile on your face. No one is looking at you, they're either (a) concentrating on getting the moves right themselves; or (b) just into the music. Most people feel like a fool if they only go once - it takes a while to get the moves down, but if you forget about getting it perfect and just have fun and give it your all, it's awesome fun and a great workout.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    GiGiBeans wrote: »
    Ugh an office I worked at had a jazzercise instructor hold classes for us and my co- workers insisted I go. They made me stand in the back after a few minutes because I was always going the wrong way and distracting everyone. Couple this with the humiliation as a young girl in love with the idea of being a ballerina getting kicked out for being hopeless (just as well, they whacked you with a yardstick back then, ouch) and I will never attend any sort of dance class again.

Do yourself a favor and stand in the back from the start if you're as graceless and dance impaired as me.

If it makes you feel better - a friend took me to a kickboxing class that was at this old hard core boxing gym. I kicked the person next to me and PUNCHED MYSELF IN THE FACE.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Marginally better than Prancercize.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    If you wear the skin-toned, camel-toe inducing bodysuit, then nay.

Personally I prefer Prancercise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-50GjySwew

http://tosh.cc.com/video-clips/o0efj7/prancercise
  • caitlynah12
    Options
    I am trying it soon too! I vote YAY. There's a reason it's been around for so freaking long.