Losing Weight for my Little Brother

Replies

• catrionaprovan
    catrionaprovan Posts: 26 Member
    What and inspiring story, feel free to add me, i know you can do this, and would love to offer encouragement in your weight loss journey.
  • Best story ever! I've you're looking for more friends, feel free to add me.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Beautiful heartfelt story... it took guts to share it and I admire you for doing so. I'm in the same kind of situation... my sister (best friend in the world) has Follicular NHL and has completed the initial chemo treatments, had it return after 6 months, did the stem cell transplant a year ago October only to have it return once more. Next stage is a Bone Marrow Transplant and I'm SO afraid I will be too heavy to even be a candidate (obesity is listed as a negative) should I be a match. So aside from wanting to lose weight for 'lil 'ole me... I need to so I can be there for my sister.

You can do this.

We can do this!

Stay strong and keep on keeping on!!!

Lyn :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Best motivation ever! You've come to the right place to lose weight healthily, track your progress and get daily support.

Why not draw up a graph of your weight loss and keep it somewhere you and your brother will see how well you're doing?

You've got this! :flowerforyou:
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Oh my gosh!
    I just want you to reach your goal so bad!

You can do it! :) We all can help you! :)
  • loves86
    loves86 Posts: 88 Member
    What a great story!!!! Cant wait to see your results!!! I think the grraph idea would be a great idea to include your brother in on it too! We will all definitely be here for you!!!
  • susanmc31
    susanmc31 Posts: 287 Member
    I teared up reading this. Its a beautiful reason to lose weight, I wish you both all the best. If you want to friend me I will do my best to keep you accountable (in a nice way :)). You CAN and WILL do this!
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Remarkable reason to get healthy...I know you'll succeed!
  • babinsiegel
    babinsiegel Posts: 38 Member
    You can do this! It sounds like you have the right mindset this time to be sucessful!! Best of luck to you on this journey.
  • freckles2002
    freckles2002 Posts: 55 Member
    wonderful story. This is your time NOW. Big hugs to you and your brother
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    I work as a research nurse in renal dialysis and transplant and know how much this can mean to a patient and family (and us soppy old staff too!). I look forward to hearing your progress!!!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    you can do it!!! Do it for YOU, do it for your brother, do it for your son.

You've Truly become an adult now and have the right mindset for these decisions. Before, the thought of such a surgery could have been too much for such a young person. It truly can affect Your life... now you see how it can affect his.

You WILL have up and down days. But we are here to lift you up on the down time.
    You can do it!!!!!!!!
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Stupid onion ninjas. *runs off*
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Awesome story! Can't wait for the success! Can you try to give us a weekly update? Would live to follow along!
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Wow, your story and selfless love are very touching and inspiring! Congratulations on taking the first step to getting healthy. Don't just do it for your brother though, do it for yourself and your new, adorable baby!! Logging your food as accurately as possible and moving as frequently as possible will go a long way in your success. Also, take it one day at a time. That's a lot less intimidating and feels much more doable (at least for me). You got this!
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Awesome story! Can't wait for the success! Can you try to give us a weekly update? Would live to follow along!

My plan is to update on Saturdays when I weigh in. Thanks for your interest. I can say that since starting earlier this month, when I weighed last Saturday I was down 5lbs. Not looking for 5 a week but it felt awesome to see. Really looking forward to weighing on Saturday.
    I'm also trying not to put too much emphasis on the amount loss, but rather that there is a loss. That way it helps me stay on track instead of thinking that it's a race to lose 50-60lbs
  • trmrgb
    trmrgb Posts: 19 Member
    You are amazing and you can do this. Know how I know? I did this! Yes, I had to lose 40 pounds to give my little sister a kidney 2 years ago. She has a rare blood disease and it killed off her kidneys! I was also a great match but was told over and over that I was to Obese to have an elective surgery. They just wouldn't take the risk. I will never forget the look on my sisters face when she heard this. It literally ripped my heart out! I got my butt in gear and did it. I lost the weight and we had a very successful transplant. In May of this year she relapsed and has since lost my kidney. I was so devastated for her I gained ALL my weight back. I have begun again and now I am doing this for ME! I wish you the best of luck and I can't wait to hear the updates and the success! All my best to you and your brother.
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    I donated a kidney to my 12-year-old cousin in April 2013 and I started my weight loss journey in April 2011 without a clue that I would do anything like that. I was the first and only person tested. Had I not lost the weight, I would have never even been considered as a candidate for the initial testing from his transplant center.

You can absolutely do this. I'm going to send you a friend request because I'd like to watch and encourage you along your journey.
  • hickorycutie
    hickorycutie Posts: 210 Member
    I enjoyed reading ure beauitful story and it even made me cry and gave me that warm fuzzy feeling all over... your a true hero by wanting to give ure brother a kidney... i admire you for that and you get 2 thumbs up in my book!!!! keep up the GREAT work and just member we are ALL in this together... Cant wait to read all ure updates.... keep us posted dear!!!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member

My plan is to update on Saturdays when I weigh in. Thanks for your interest. I can say that since starting earlier this month, when I weighed last Saturday I was down 5lbs. Not looking for 5 a week but it felt awesome to see. Really looking forward to weighing on Saturday.
    I'm also trying not to put too much emphasis on the amount loss, but rather that there is a loss. That way it helps me stay on track instead of thinking that it's a race to lose 50-60lbs

You seem to have the right attitude to succeed. You will lose more this first month. A loss is a loss which is going in the right direction so definately remember that. Too many freak out when they don't lose unrealistic loses and then they quit. You will have more success by making small changes gradually instead of drastic ones. Don't do too much all at once. If you want a friend that is honest, realistic and won't blow hot air up your @#$ just to make you feel good then send a friend request.