Diet Review

Options
I've looked EVERYWHERE for a site where I can submit my diet for review with now luck, so I'm just going to put it out here and hope that someone knowledgable comes along. A little background: 5'7" female, trying to lose roughly 30 lbs- MPF suggests 1300 calories a day for me.

breakfast: Noosa 8 oz yoghurt
snack: 1-2 cups baby carrots
lunch: 2-3 cups of veggies sauteed in evoo (zucchini, squash, mushrooms, onions), 4 oz of lean protein (fish, shrimp or chicken)
pre-workout snack: 1-2 hard boiled eggs
dinner: usually the same as lunch
I sometimes then have a healthy choice (100 cal) ice cream bar for dessert.

I think I'm on the right track, but would like to take advantage of the more knowledgable minds that might be here. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    More variety?

Really, you can eat anything you want, just fit it into your calorie goal.
  • ashd8970
    Options
    Thanks- I'm really just looking for well informed opinions on whether or not I'm getting the correct amounts of fats/protein/etc. I'll work on variety once I have that part down. :)
  • Paindoesnthurt
    Paindoesnthurt Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've already posted it somewhere else but you should ditch snacks and put the carrots with your lunch. Seriously, if you have the standard 3 meals a day (although you can have the pre workout if you lack energy) you'll lose more weight, increase your metabolism and have better control of your glucose.

My other recommendation would be to stop having yogurt if you are having the store brought yogurt. The good bacteria is already dead and you really don't get much benefit out of it. Although if you like yogurt then ignore that haha. I'd advise some steel-cut oats or oat groats with berries. Good breakfast. Oat groats has omega 3s (if anyone doesn't believe me check out it out online), has protein and has carbohydrates. The berries, blue berries in particular, will keep you full and are rich in antioxidants.

Despite what some might think also try have the majority of your carbohydrates at night and the rest after your workout and the little in the morning. Having your carbohydrates at night helps you lose weight faster I'm not making that up.

Hope I helped :)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I've already posted it somewhere else but you should ditch snacks and put the carrots with your lunch. Seriously, if you have the standard 3 meals a day (although you can have the pre workout if you lack energy) you'll lose more weight, increase your metabolism and have better control of your glucose. check that out here: http://paindoesnthurt.com/stop-snacking/

My other recommendation would be to stop having yogurt if you are having the store brought yogurt. The good bacteria is already dead and you really don't get much benefit out of it. Although if you like yogurt then ignore that haha. I'd advise some steel-cut oats or oat groats with berries. Good breakfast. Oat groats has omega 3s (if anyone doesn't believe me check out it out online), has protein and has carbohydrates. The berries, blue berries in particular, will keep you full and are rich in antioxidants.

Despite what some might think also try have the majority of your carbohydrates at night and the rest after your workout and the little in the morning. Having your carbohydrates at night helps you lose weight faster I'm not making that up. I'll be doing a post on that soon and posting it on here as well as paindoesnthurt.com

Ummm...... no. Just no. None of this is true.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I've already posted it somewhere else but you should ditch snacks and put the carrots with your lunch. Seriously, if you have the standard 3 meals a day (although you can have the pre workout if you lack energy) you'll lose more weight, increase your metabolism and have better control of your glucose. check that out here: http://paindoesnthurt.com/stop-snacking/

Despite what some might think also try have the majority of your carbohydrates at night and the rest after your workout and the little in the morning. Having your carbohydrates at night helps you lose weight faster I'm not making that up. I'll be doing a post on that soon and posting it on here as well as paindoesnthurt.com

hahah sorry but this is so not true.

the number of meals has nothing to do with weight loss, the amount of calories consumed does.

I would also like to see the proof on your claim about yogurt..and by that I don't mean some blog post either. Hard proof, peer reviewed studies.

AS well eating carbs at night help you lose weight??? again where is the proof and I don't mean a blog post.

To the OP you can eat whatever you want to lose weight as long as you stay in a deficet. To ensure that weigh your food.

As for your macros it is often suggested (this is what I follow) minimum .8g of protien for each lb of LBM, fats you need an adequate amount for health along with carbs.

I have set my goals manually for 1600 calories, my macros break down like this...120g of protien, 44g of fat and 180g of carbs based on calculations based on my lbm.

Based on what I can see you have low calorie foods (probably under 1200 a day) and could probably afford more food and definately more protien.
  • HannahInHawaii
    HannahInHawaii Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie budget?! Wtf kind of horrible advice is this? Fruits, veggies, and lean meats/proteins. Not processed junk foods. It's that easy!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Eat whatever you want as long as it's in your calorie budget?! Wtf kind of horrible advice is this? Fruits, veggies, and lean meats/proteins. Not processed junk foods. It's that easy!

oh please look at my diary you don't have to make food bad to lose weight and be healthy.

It's actually easier then you say...calories in<calories out doesn't matter where the food comes from.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

You dont eat anything processed? What about in the future?
  • jennegan1
    Options

oh please look at my diary you don't have to make food bad to lose weight and be healthy.

It's actually easier then you say...calories in<calories out doesn't matter where the food comes from.

I had pizza and garlic knots tonight mmm yummy and it was still in my calorie goal for the day
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

It is fantastic advice. Provided that you are within your calorie goal and reasonably hitting your macros and micros, it doesnt matter what you eat.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I had pizza and garlic knots tonight mmm yummy and it was still in my calorie goal for the day

nom nom...I am so getting Pizza this weekend...and wings (protien)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

nom nom...I am so getting Pizza this weekend...and wings (protien)

Crap, now I want Buffalo Wild Wings.. thanks!

OP, you can eat whatever food you want, just get enough protein and fats as mentioned. Also, fiber helps with fullness as well. Additionally, if you are active 1300 calories maybe be a little low, especially if you are working out. With very little to lose, your deficit shouldnt' be more than 1 lb per week.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

"Processed junk food" has no bearing on weight loss. In terms of feeling better, having more energy, and feeling full longer, yes it has its merits, but 600 calories of pizza vs. 600 calories of chicken and vegetables is no different. Eat at a deficit and weight will come off.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    I've looked EVERYWHERE for a site where I can submit my diet for review with now luck, so I'm just going to put it out here and hope that someone knowledgable comes along. A little background: 5'7" female, trying to lose roughly 30 lbs- MPF suggests 1300 calories a day for me.

lunch: 2-3 cups of veggies sauteed in evoo (zucchini, squash, mushrooms, onions), 4 oz of lean protein (fish, shrimp or chicken)

I think I'm on the right track, but would like to take advantage of the more knowledgable minds that might be here. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

To answer this. Eat more of waht you like. If you can eat like this for the rest of your life then by all means good for you but dont restrict anything in your "diet". I eat anything and everything and if I know Im going to have a high calorie food that day I either work out that day or the day after to burn those extra calories off
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I've already posted it somewhere else but you should ditch snacks and put the carrots with your lunch. Seriously, if you have the standard 3 meals a day (although you can have the pre workout if you lack energy) you'll lose more weight, increase your metabolism and have better control of your glucose.

Despite what some might think also try have the majority of your carbohydrates at night and the rest after your workout and the little in the morning. Having your carbohydrates at night helps you lose weight faster I'm not making that up.

Most of this is incorrect... If you question meal frequency, you should look at the below link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404961
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

yea, this is dead wrong.

1. Meal timing and metabolism have nothing to do with one another. Eat six meals, three, one, etc…makes zero difference to metabolism.
    2. Carb timing has nothing to do with weight loss.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Thanks in advance!

Are you saying that this adds up to 1300 calories ? I eat 1200 calories ( due to age and height ) and eat a lot more food than that.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

define "junk" food…

Yes, you can eat whatever you want, just maintain your calorie deficit.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat whatever I want to eat. I simply try to be reasonable about it. What you're doing seems fairly reasonable, but it would be more helpful to share what macro split you were aiming toward (or open your diary).
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Plug it into your diary and take a look at the macros. It looks pretty low on the calorie end of things to me and I'm not seeing a lot of fat.

Like others have said, it's not so much about what you eat. Veggies and lean meats are good, fats are absolutely necessary, and carbs won't hurt you, but you don't have to give anything up. I have reached my goal weight and maintained for a year and a half by eating all types of foods. Dinner tonight is pizza and chicken wings.

Variety is the spice of life. Don't make food the enemy.