Sewing!

Options
hearthemelody
hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
Do we have any seamstresses or tailors out there? How about a quilter or knitter?

What is your current project?

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I crochet and knit , I am not to good on the sewing machine !! LOL I am in the middle of a baby blanket for my niece who is expecting :)
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    Baby blankets are the best! They are easy and super appreciated!

I am working on a little quilt for my neice that just turned 3. Pink and cream!
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I like to sew, but not that great at it. I design and sew fancy dresses, funky blouses, pants and other stuff for my kids. Most of it is only worn around the house for playing dress up, but they love it because made it for them.
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    Ah, dang. My bad. I read this and saw Swing.
  • hearthemelody
    Options
    19044-Tire-Swing-Gif.gif
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    :) That's more like it.

Thanks.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I knit. It gives my hands something to do in the evenings besides absently shoving food into my face. :bigsmile:
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was a masterful seamstress. She made my mom's and my aunt's wedding dresses, most of my prom/homecoming dresses in high school, and other less formal dresses and clothes quite often. They were always much better quality than if I'd bought something. (My most prized clothing item is probably the last dress she made for me before her stroke 7 years ago; I didn't fit into it in a while and I'm so glad I do again!!

I don't sew nearly as well as grandma. I've made a couple of dresses, but they don't turn out as well as hers did :cry: I want to keep trying, though.

I also cross-stich and I'm always working on a project. Right now it's a small one with kids and a rainbow and a small inspirational/religious phrase. Next after than is a crewel of a teacup (still learning that form of needle work)
  • SelenaP63
    SelenaP63 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to create a pieced quilt for my grandson (only my 3rd one). He'll be 2 next month. My strategy is get the quilt to them after the projectile vomiting and explosive bowel movement stage is well behind the grandbabies so the quilt has a shot at being a decent keepsake :) I found out I really love choosing the fabric patterns and colors using flannel and minky and making a beautiful quilt. My daughter has been thrilled with the first two.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I love sewing & quilting. Current projects are new bathrobe and (finally!) finishing quilt of old tshirts & baby/child stuff. (youngest is 20+, so this is waaaaaaaay overdue for finishing!)
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I crochet - currently working on a simple hip-scarf for my dancing - and I do a little bit of sewing when I'm home from school and have access to my mom's sewing machine/stash of fabric and notions. I'd love to get better at tailoring, though, especially as I don't want to have to toss my whole wardrobe as I shrink and it doesn't!
  • marniekerr
    marniekerr Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love to knit and crochet - just finished a bunch of projects for Christmas. My favorite was a playmat for my little nephew - currently working on slipper socks for my daughter.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Baby blankets are the best! They are easy and super appreciated!

I am working on a little quilt for my neice that just turned 3. Pink and cream!

Unless you use the wrong gauge yarn and it turns into a big kid blanket... *lol* what's what happened to me... I'm still not done with the blanket I started for my DD before she was born.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    My grandmother was a masterful seamstress. She made my mom's and my aunt's wedding dresses, most of my prom/homecoming dresses in high school, and other less formal dresses and clothes quite often. They were always much better quality than if I'd bought something. (My most prized clothing item is probably the last dress she made for me before her stroke 7 years ago; I didn't fit into it in a while and I'm so glad I do again!!

I don't sew nearly as well as grandma. I've made a couple of dresses, but they don't turn out as well as hers did :cry: I want to keep trying, though.

I also cross-stich and I'm always working on a project. Right now it's a small one with kids and a rainbow and a small inspirational/religious phrase. Next after than is a crewel of a teacup (still learning that form of needle work)

That's an awesome story.
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I wish....

Story time!
    My great-great grandfather (maternal grandmother's grandfather) was an immigrant from Tipperary, Ireland who made his way to the states via Canada, down into Toledo and eventually to Detroit. The man was a lumberjack. As a young lumberjack, he fell in love with a girl who happened to be the daughter of the Mayor (or some other small-time political office) of whatever small Canadian town they lived in. But, lumberjacking (?) was apparently not a respectable enough position for a city politician's daughter's suitor to have so he--this manual laborer who was well over 6 feet tall and had the hulking hands of a lumberjack--became a seamster. A maker of fine women's clothing.
    It worked. They married.

My grandmother (or Nana, as we call her) was born in 1930--right into the Great Depression. Her father was an engineer and at that time blueprints were drawn up on these sheets of incredibly starched linen. Her father used to bring home the extra bits of blueprint linen, and her grandfather would soak them in the tub for hours until the starch dissolved off--leaving the fine linen-- and would then make all her undergarments and little linen dresses out of the material. Middle of the Great Depression and my toddler Nana was sporting custom tailored linen underwear.

So this talent for sewing was passed from my great-great grandfather, to his daughter, to my Nana, to my mother (who made all my clothes when I was young and a few of my high school homecoming dresses), and then... it got to me--the only girl in my family--and DIED OFF. I have not even the slightest skill when it comes to sewing and I feel like I have failed this wonderful family legacy.

OTL
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I used to design and sew corsets for a living, but now I am more of a hobby sewer. Currently working on baby clothes for my friends who are expecting, and a pair of jeans for myself. I love the brazillian butt lifting jeans but I haven't found any black ones that don't fade. Now I get to use all those boring drafting classes from college, lol.

By the time I am done, my butt will be up around my ears! :-D
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I just got a sewing machine for my birthday last month...I'm determined to learn to sew and knit in 2014! I had my sister-in-law save all of her favorite onsie's from my neices first year and I want to make a quilt with them for her for Mother's Day. Guess I better get a move on!
  • beckyhaa
    beckyhaa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I knit...haven't had much time lately though and in fact am still knitting a scarf for my fiancee for Christmas! (oops!)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I've tried to sew and crochet. No bueno.

My hands were meant for other things, I guess.
  • miss_kay_1987
    Options
    I've only just discovered the joy of crocheting and cross-stitching :)

I'm also taking part in the "Crochet a Mood Blanket for 2014" challenge :) It's fun and keeps me busy!

The only blankets I've made so far I've ended up giving to my cats to sleep on - they seem to appreciate it at least :P