When you want something sweet what do you reach for?

Options
I have a "sweet tooth". I love chocolate and cake but I'm looking for alternatives to satisfy my sweet tooth. I like fruit but please - humor me - I'm talking former chocoholic, ice cream sundae loving real life options. Yesterday I had a small chocolate truffle which was perfect! So if you have or had a sweet tooth what do you reach for when it strikes?

Replies

• 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I pretty much have to go for a little bit of what I am craving otherwise I could end up pigging out on other things to satisfy something that could have been easily solved with just a bit of....chocolate....ice cream....cookies....
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I have ice cream pretty much every night.... I just plan for it with my calorie goal. I like chocolate too, so sometimes I sneak some candy in there if I have enough calories.
  • SarahMS79
    SarahMS79 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I bought a smoothie maker. I add ice, one low fat yogurt and a piece of fruit...practically guilt free! If you are craving chocolate how about some low fat hot coco to take the edge off??? Have a great week!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free hot cocoa sometimes works or one marshmallow. That said, I really like some of the Quest protein bars. Their chocolate brownie nails the sweet tooth plus I'm getting 20 grams of protein.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My fiance!

Oh, food. Jello rice pudding with cinnamon or Jello butterscotch pudding. Or a Fiber One bar. Mmm.
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have dark chocolate just about every day. My current obsession is Chocolove bars with sea salt. For some reason, I can eat just one serving and not lose control. I can't do that with milk chocolate, though.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I used to HATE chocolate and ice-cream. Ever since I started this new way of life back in August--I constantly crave chocolate and I crave ice-cream. Someone told me to take magnesium--so I have. I don't get it. Why out of 37years have I disliked something that I now crave? (and no....I'm not pregnant! lol). So, I have Dove chocolates and Hersheys Simple Pleasures---but I can't just have one. If I have one I have 5. I'm trying to replace with fruit and yogurt. Oh...and Dannon Light/Fit Greek Yogurt has a new flavor--Chocolate Raspberry, and it is only 80 calories.
  • karmicwolf
    Options
    A couple of dove bliss dark choc squares. Always satisfies.
  • FattyFeast
    Options
    I occasionally have these moments even though I'm not really a sweet tooth person - I guess being generally more hungry all the time means that I fantasise way more about food than I used to! These fantasies usually culminate in imagining how it would feel if I were eating an apple turnover. Or flashbacks to the time I ate the most perfect light buttery croissant that actually tasted as good as it smelt. I LOVE those things.

Anyway, relatively low-calorie solutions to my sweet moments:
    1. A handful of cereal. Not crazy sugary cereal but like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes or Cheerios. I just have a box in the kitchen and snatch a handful whenever it gets too much.
    2. Cereal bars... it feels like a lot of food and you can get some lower calorie ones. For instance there's a Coco Pops one which is like sweet AND chocolate AND yoghurt to eat, relatively large looking but only 83 calories.
    3. Hot chocolate. For instance there's one called Outrageously Orange by Options (that's the brand) and a mug of that is just 38 calories. It's so sweet you can make it with water, no milk necessary, and it definitely solves the sugar crisis.
    4. A pear. Surprisingly filling and sweet, plus it's fruit. I really rate pears as a snack o.O
  • BloodHost
    Options
    Coco puffs and fat free milk. If I have the calories.
  • 1cafeaulait
    1cafeaulait Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free hot cocoa sometimes works or one marshmallow. That said, I really like some of the Quest protein bars. Their chocolate brownie nails the sweet tooth plus I'm getting 20 grams of protein.
    I'll have to try the Quest chocolate brownie although having just a bit of what I'm craving sounds like plan. I love hot cocoa...yes keep the ideas coming!
  • Npettersen
    Options
    Skinny Cow chocolate truffle ice cream - 100 calories

Lindt dark chocolate with orange square - 67 calories

Dole chocolate covered banana slices - 100 calories

Outshine fruit Popsicles - 45 calories each!

Ben & Jerrys FroYo, calories are dependent on flavors but those flavors mimic their ice cream with waaay less calories.

Sorry for all the brand names but it's easier to find at your grocery store if you can name it! As you can tell I don't live without sweets & I have already lost 13 pounds. Good Luck!!!
  • smand2000
    Options
    This is becoming my standard reply: fage Greek yogurt (0 or 2%), chopped almonds (walnuts, pecans, peanuts, or any combination), and dark chocolate nibs or chips. If you're a super chocoholic, mix in raw cacao powder. Enjoy!
  • kiroshino
    kiroshino Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A banana, if available. If not, yogurt.

Only time I've given in so far this year is if it has chocolate, is chocolate, or tastes like chocolate.

... That probably didn't help. Still, like others have mentioned, a few dark chocolate squares is usually enough to satisfy my chocolate cravings for a while.
  • wrenegade64
    wrenegade64 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    High protein/low fat greek yogurt (Dannon is the BOMB!)

Sugar-free Jello

Quest protein bars (again---the BOMB!!!---my favs are strawberry cheesecake, vanilla almond crunch, and chocolate chip cookie dough)
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I don't have a huge sweet tooth, but I usually make a cup of decaf coffee in the evening with some SF Syrup in it. It' satisfies my need for sweet and something to "eat" at night when I'm notorious for raiding the pantry.

I've also had yogurt with some Kashi or granola in it in the past as well.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Not a big "sweets" person, but I do enjoy a cafe mocha K-cup each day! I also like the Quest Chocolate Brownie bar, usually have after a work out or carry in my bag for a quick meal fix.
  • brummyminx
    brummyminx Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatos! 86 kcal per potato!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    gum, chocolate protein bar, chocolate protein shake, sugar free jello, no fat coolwhip,canned pumpkin with a bit of brown sugar and spray butter,.rice cake with peanut butter and jelly.
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My fiance!

Aww!

For those of us who are single, low calorie hot chocolate. It usually takes care of the craving at only 35 cals. Only negative is the sodium though, which I try to keep low.