Cycling to work

msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone,
After moving to Philadelphia I've been able to bike pretty much everywhere. It's great! The one thing is, I'm getting stronger by leaps and bounds. I would like to include this in my calories but I honestly don't think I'm burning that many now that I go the same distance via the same route every day. Am I correct in that riding the same distance daily eventually just kind of tapers out benefits wise?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I would think it would, eventually, if you always travel the same way at the same intensity. However, I think the benefits are still great if you can diversify your route and the speed in which you go. Can you add a little extra distance on the way home, say, to mix it up a bit.

However, the only true measure I could think of would be by measuring your HR with a HRM. If you are having trouble getting "into the zone" then you know that you are not getting the benefit.

Great Job and good luck.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    You will still burn calories but the more you do it the less you will burn. If you have a HRM you could wear it while you bike to get the caloric burn. If you don't have one just put in "bicycling moderate effort" and put a lower speed than you do go to account for you getting use to it. So if you go 18 mph maybe enter it as 12-14 mph.
  • daniface
    daniface Posts: 338 Member
    YOU'RE SO LUCKY YOU CAN BIKE EVERYWHERE.
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    You're still burning calories, even if it's the same mileage everyday. As you get stronger your MPH my increase which will give you a better workout, also outside conditions (WIND :frown: ) can also affect your ride. Here in the midwest this is a challenge, especially when the corn isn't up to block it :smile: . Keep up the great work, over 5 mile run and biking daily, all you need now is to get in the pool and you'll be ready for a tri!!!
  • I had lived in Portland and was able to bike everywhere. I didn't even own a car. My first few weeks I found myself having to slow down or stop completely ( west coast = hills). Eventually I was noticing that it was becoming easier and easier. Soon enough, I was able to keep up with the rest of them and power up the big hills.

I suggest if you have extra time before work, switch it up every now and again. Find a route with an incline or even take a longer way home. Muscle memory on the same path everyday would become boring either way, I would think.

Some bikers would even stop when they saw stairs and do hops up and down them as additional exercise / to get their heart rate going (I assume).
This discussion has been closed.