1410 Calorie Goal?

Options
Hi! I am currently at 253 lbs at 5'6" and have been steadily losing weight (about 1.5-2lbs) a week for a few months now. DOWN 35 lbs! My calories recently were dropped to 1410 and I am just wondering if that is going to be too low? I am recovering from a surgery so my activity level is low or sedentary right now (I try to walk for 30 mins a day). I just want to make sure I don't go into "starvation mode". Any help would be wonderful! Thanks.

Replies

• Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    you should really discuss this with your doctor if you're recovering from surgery.

In my experience, calorie restricting during the healing process is not a good thing. I ate at maintenance after my last surgery so I could heal faster. But you really need to discuss with your dr.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    your not going to go into thee mythical starvation mode!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you continue to get calories daily, you wont' go into starvation mode. It takes 72 hours with zero calories to have any metabolic adaption. I would increase getting a good portion of your calories from protein and if you can to add resistance training. The combination will increase the amount of lean body mass you retain which in turn helps maintain the metabolism.

But I would also suggest reducing your deficit while you are recovering.
  • summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    The calories change after you lose weight to adjust to changes in your metabolism. It doesn't seem too low but make sure that you track any walking that you do so that you can eat back those calories if you are worried about going too low. Also, if you find yourself hungry all the time then maybe you can adjust your goal to make it something you are more used too. It will still be a deficit and you'll still be losing.

Congrats on 35 pounds down!