How to eat Soup without all the Sodium??

Options
I love soup because it fills me up. But the sodium is insane. I make my own and use the "low sodium" broth, but it still is just way too much sodium.
Any ideas??

Thanks!

Replies

• AmazinglyKriss
    Options
    I once got the soup i made to 500mg per bowl, but it tasted awful lol...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Make your own...
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Make your own broth. I make my own chicken, beef and vegetable broth. It's not difficult and you get to control the sodium, the flavor and the content.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to be concerned about sodium? If not, just drink some extra water and don't worry about the sodium.

If you so have a medica reason, make your own stock, which I realize is a pain, but completely worth it. I find that I can reduce the overall amount of salt I add, if I wait to add it in at the very end.
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Agree w/ above post. You have to make your own stock. Takes longer but it is so worth it though, tastes much better. Make a big batch and freeze some.
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Make your own for sure, and use lots of seasonings other then salt, I find that garlic, cayenne, and onion powder really give a lot of flavor without all the sodium.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    How much is too much? It is hard to give answers without an open diary. It could be that your sodium goals are too low or that there are other trades that would make more sense.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Make your own for sure, and use lots of seasonings other then salt, I find that garlic, cayenne, and onion powder really give a lot of flavor without all the sodium.

+1
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do is cut the broth in half and use water instead.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Make your own as others have suggested. If you are in a pinch for bullion, Herb Ox makes a sodium free bullion in beef and chicken.
    I have found by making soups and meals spicy, I don't miss the salt at all.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Make your own as others have suggested. If you are in a pinch for bullion, Herb Ox makes a sodium free bullion in beef and chicken.
    I have found by making soups and meals spicy, I don't miss the salt at all.

I didnt know Herb Ox had that . Thanks for the tip.
  • Christygogo
    Christygogo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you want soup with less salt I like Amy's soup (in the organic section of the grocery store). A little more pricey but they have lower sodium soups that still taste great! I love the lentil.
    Also.... I make my own, make a lot of crock pot whole chicken and save the necks, gizzards ect. If you use a lot of celery your broth will taste slightly saltier. Don't always have time though! I fill a ton of ice cube trays and pop them out and put them in zippy bags in the freezer. A good way to make one huge batch and then grab a little or big amount when needed.
  • marinegirl92
    marinegirl92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I usually make my own... but in a pinch Dr. McDougalls line of soups is awesome! Usually in the health food section of grocery stores. I personally like the vegetable soup :)

http://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/canned-packaged-foods/low-fat-foods/canned-soups/
  • DonnaJones7
    DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Well, you use the no sodium added broth.