Soup without all the Sodium ???

Options
DonnaJones7
DonnaJones7 Posts: 99 Member
I love soup because it fills me up. But the sodium is insane. I make my own and use the "low sodium" broth, but it still is just way too much sodium.
Any ideas??

Thanks!

Replies

• iwasasize6
    Options
    hi Donnajones7 i never use salt in cooking apart when it is really needed which is not often, as i was bought up that way as my dad didn't have it, now my husband is diabetic & on restricted diet for kidney failure & preparing for dialysis, anyone that wants to add can & i am careful which stock cubes used as some have high salt contents & watch for MSG, Mono Sodium Glutamate, as this is a salt
    I add herbs or spices like with the pumpkin soup i made on Tuesday i added a teaspoon of curry powder, I experiment to fit in with a diet suitable for Renal & diabetic & blood preasure
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to use broth at all. Just use water, and add lots of yummy herbs, spices or even garlic to your soups.
  • rostraqueen
    Options
    You could try adding capers or olives to your soups and blending them in (or blending them before putting them in if you like your soup chunky). They both have quite a salty flavour... Otherwise, use the suggestions other people gave (herbs,garlic, etc) - you still get really yummy soups :)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I make my own broth with a load of vegetable offcuts - onion skins, cauliflower leaves and bottom etc or sometimes with a chicken carcass or whatever is lying around.

Then I reduce it until it is nice and concentrated, then pour into ice cube trays - voila, ready made stock cubes that I can add to my soup water for extra flavour.

the only salt that then gets added is if it really needs it later on.
  • For some puree soups, I omit stock all together and rely on spices and herbs to give the base flavor, along with nut milks for creaminess.

For butternut squash soup, I add coconut milk and part of a can of pumpkin and blend it in.

Then I spice it how I want; usually I use a little curry spice and cayenne.

Recipe:
    1 Roasted butternut squash, no skin, only the softened meat.
    1 Can of coconut milk
    1/2 Can of 100% pure pumpkin puree
    Add cooked chicken breast meat (optional)
    Add steamed baby carrots, zucchini, and water chestnuts (optional)
    Yellow Onion
    1 or 2 diced cloves Garlic
    Olive oil
    Spices you like; I use curry spice, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, chive

Put a little oil in your pot, and cook your onion and garlic together until translucent.
    (If you do not have an immersion blender, blend your squash, coconut milk, and pumpkin in your normal blender)
    Put your squash, coconut milk, and pumpkin in the pot, and take your immersion/hand blender and blend it in. Make sure you're on LOW HEAT for this part.
    Stir in your meat, veg, and spices

Let it simmer on med-low until warmed through, stirring constantly. If you find it is too thick, adding some milk or a little water should thin it. Add in 1/4c intervals until desired liquidy-ness is achieved. If too thin, more pumpkin.

Serve with toasty french loaf.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Had same problem. Make your own giant pot of soup with water, chicken, veggies, very little salt. It will be bland. When you sit down with a bowl, add something to kick it, like habenero pepper sauce, or curry, or dill or whatever. One pot, many different bowls of low-sodium soup!
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you are starting with a whole chocken you could break it downand make yor own stock. Use some for soup and the rest freeze for later. On cold winter days a noce pot of stockon the stovemakes the house smell great
  • framingthewheels
    framingthewheels Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I use Swanson unsalted broth - significantly less salt than reduced sodium (almost none in fact) and still tastes great.
  • aadhyasiddhi
    Options
    If you can use rock salt instead of sea salt it would be better. Because rock is considered as a harmless salt not effected much even if you have sugar or any other diseases Use can less salt too.It doest harm any way.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just use water with spices =)