Rice - help please

Options
Hi there,

I am cooking a new recipe tonight, it feeds four and asks for 350g of rice (I assume uncooked as it doesnt say anywhere it should be cooked and it looks like you cook it as you go along), this seems like a really large amount to me, wouldnt that be about 900g cooked? I am a bit confused about how to log it and how much it should be. should I just reduce the amount? any help would be appreciated! thanks! :)

Replies

• christinafpdx
    Options
    That is only about a cup and a half I think - don't know why they don't just say that!

If I'm wrong - please don't quote me on that!
  • Kevster75
    Options
    Hi Kizzy,

350g of uncooked rice for 4 people isn't alot...
    I suppose you could re-weigh one portion after cooking - but I would say it's going to be about 200-250g cooked.

Enjoy.. :)
  • Kevster75
    Options
    That is only about a cup and a half - don't know why they don't just say that!

Cups are confusing! :OP
    When I add things to my diary *everything* is available in cups!
    How much is a cup, in ml or g? It's not consistent at all... Bah!
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I get confused with the cups thing too as I am English so we dont really measure in cups! :)

thanks for the replies, Kevster did you mean 200-250g per person cooked? I think rice weighs more cooked right?
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Check the label on your box of rice. The box I have lists both cups and grams.

1/2 cups (dry) equals 54 grams and makes about 1 cup of cooked rice.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    That is only about a cup and a half - don't know why they don't just say that!
    Cups are confusing! :OP
    When I add things to my diary *everything* is available in cups!
    How much is a cup, in ml or g? It's not consistent at all... Bah!

Which is why the metric system is superior to the US weights and measures, but we gotta be different (despite the rest of the planet knowing better). :grumble:
  • Kevster75
    Options
    Just found this on another site...

1 cup uncooked RICE = 4 cups cooked

Cups!! LOL

SOooooo I looked at this too..
    1 Cup of rice = around 200g

:)
  • kizzyt
    kizzyt Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thank you! I found a listing for uncooked in the end so just split it by 4 and logged that :) couldnt check my label as I'm at work just planning tonight's meal!